Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: boot sealer

boot sealer

Was oiling my boots this morning with store bought stuff and got to thinking.
    I have a bunch of beeswax and lanolin and it seems there should be a recipie for a leather boot sealer with these two.
    I've been looking all over the computer and found different recipies, but aint having much luck with these two put together.
    Anyone made a mixture with these two??

Boolit Master
    I use a product called Snow Seal, basically a mixture of beeswax and vaseline. Slather it on the leather and then heat it up with momma's favorite hair dryer. It melts into the leather and waterproofs the boots for a year or more.

Banned

boot sealer

Pipefitter, I used that method to wax my boots in the Navy. Just couldn’t see myself dabbing and rubbing it in in a dime-size area over and over for a couple hours at a time. An old toothbrush worked great to apply it in a semi-uniform layer before hitting it with a heat gun. I applied it extra thick to the upper stitching around the soles, too. It buffs nicely with a regular horsehair shoe brush, too.

Boolit Master
    Snow seal is bees wax and beef tallow. 1:1
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    I just smeared my boots with Vaseline

Thanks gents, I've used snow seal for years and a couple others, but I figured beeswax and lanolin would be a good mixture since they are both used for leather. I might just have to try something and see what happens. Maybe 2 parts lanolin and 1 part beeswax to start

Bob I found a recipie for beeswax and vasoline with a little mint or citronella oil for insect repelent. That actually caught my interest. Maybe for oiling your belt or hat for squeeters. If its on your boots, maybe it would help with ticks

Boolit Master

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use Hubbard's Shoe Grease. All it does is preserve the leather. The best waterproofing will prevent your feet from getting wet for an additional ten seconds over a non-treated boot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Only leather care product I know of with lanolin is saddle soap (along with several other ingredients). Which must be pretty good stuff, my saddle is 101 years old and still just fine, will probably be fine when my grandkids are old.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I use Hubbard's Shoe Grease. All it does is preserve the leather. The best waterproofing will prevent your feet from getting wet for an additional ten seconds over a non-treated boot.
    Hubbards is the best I have ever used to preserve leather. New boots get a liberal coating and put on newspaper in the cab of the truck on a hot day. The leather comes out amazing and water resistant.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I used some BLL on my Sorel's last year. I had a small batch mixed up to do some boolits and had just got some new liners for my boots. (dog ate the old ones) I was thinking of trying some JJ past wax and wondered what some BLL would do so I tryed a little on the seams and it sucked in on the spot so I did the hole boot. Now the water just runs off them and you can't tell that there is any thing on them.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master
    Obenhofs is what I use, since it won't break down or rot leather. Once a month in the summer when it is dry and as needed in winter to maintain water resistance. And it smells good. Basically beeswax and propolis waxes.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    Obenhofs is what I use, since it won't break down or rot leather. Once a month in the summer when it is dry and as needed in winter to maintain water resistance. And it smells good. Basically beeswax and propolis waxes.
    Yep. Discovered that stuff a couple of years ago and applied to some new hiking hunting boots I had bought. They still look like new and have never let in a drop of water.

It was developed by a former Idaho wildland firefighter and is still made at a small operation up in the mountains...

Attachment 253240
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

We used a combination of liquid silicon first to fill the pores and holes and then liberal applications of snow seal to hold the silicon in.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I use a product called Snow Seal, basically a mixture of beeswax and vaseline. Slather it on the leather and then heat it up with momma's favorite hair dryer. It melts into the leather and waterproofs the boots for a year or more.
    I leave them next to the woodstove to warm first then put them back. Snowseal is great. For other boots I stay them with Ballistol.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum