Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Browning gun oil?

Browning gun oil?

Do they still make some? I have used pretty much every brand except that. My grandfather is a browning fanatic. Don't try selling him anything else, he doesn't want it. He used to go hunting every year before his open heart surgery. Now he hasn't gone since.
    He keeps telling me that other people's gun would freeze but not his because its browning oil and browning is the best and its good up to - 68. Im sure you can understand what type of man he is...
    1: is this true?
    2:who sells it?
    3:whats good oil? I use Remington spray and hoppes.

Moderator Emeritus

go to Browning website. it's called gun oil step 4
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

What's good oil? That pends on who you ask and what parameters are set forth. I use 3 in 1 oil without issue, but I keep my guns oiled and look at them regularly. It will gum up though and isn't good for long term storage or extreme cold weather. It is nostalgic to me though. I like hoppes oil which is similar but more refined. I use remoil for wipe down and action parts like trigger groups and 22 semiautos.

I'll pretty much use anything though if I can get it cheap. With one notable exception , ballistol. It stinks too bad and I refuse to use it regardless of how good it works.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try some SYNTHETIC motor oil. One quart of 5W - 20W or 5W - 30W will last just about a life time, won't gum up, & flows when cold. Great for guns, fishing tackle, knives, etc.

I use mobile 1 synthetic 5-20 same as my truck. It stays in place and is not affected by cold or heat and a little goes a long way on triggers, slides, cylinder pins and bolts. I also us it on my shotguns that go goose hunting in stupid cold conditions with no freeze up so far, to 35 below.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Kev,
    There's a reason your Papaw was into Browning oil. Been using it for decades. NO gumming, or varnish. It will stay with a blue finish for up to a year if not in excessive humidity. There is still some problem from finger prints but a lot less. I can recommend the new formula Bwng #4 as I am almost out of the older oil. I have some older pieces that have less than 50% finish, some stuff in the white from the factory. The older finishes get slicker, in the white stays that way, fading blue becomes "patina"; not rust.
    Of all things I read somewhere Browning had to quit the older oil chemistry because of the EPA MDS forms. All for stuff stored in cases or sleeve in a closed safe.
    Note if he has old cans, squirt bottles, or aerosol of BGO you don't want I need NOS to mix with the new formula. You're welcome to send some my way.

I've been using thin motor oil for years.
    If it'll go a few thousand miles in a car engine- I can't think of why it would fail in a firearm between cleanings.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My Dad was using Ballistol since before I was born, 1954.

So do I, but got some REM Oil in a gift pack a few years back. It does a good job too.

My Wife Insists I spray all the locks with WD-40 every time it rains. Because that's Her Dad did. I come along 2-3 days later and use Ballistol.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Il go check online for browning oil. I haven't thought of synthetic oil though... good idea.

I dont know any dealer that has some and you cant order off of Browning.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Why not use Ed's Red? Cheap, and better than most.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I de-oil a gun completely before taking it hunting. It won't rust (unless you're in a monsoon and then you have plenty of other stuff to worry about), and it'll work just fine- with no chance of anything gumming up in frigid temperatures. I completely trust no oils in frigid conditions.

The old Browning Ultra Fine Gunoil the came in a black aerosol can was really good stuff on any autoloader shotgun - A5, 1100, whatever. Worked in the bitter cold. Don't think its been made in 25+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    The old Browning Ultra Fine Gunoil the came in a black aerosol can was really good stuff on any autoloader shotgun - A5, 1100, whatever. Worked in the bitter cold. Don't think its been made in 25+ years.
    Thats what he had. used it on his A5 and BAR.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the day it was claimed to be the best and I believe that claim, however, synthetic oils of today are far superior .
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

What does one cut motor oil with to make it thinner for use as gun oil?

Banned
    You don't need Browning Gun Oil.......you need a Browning Gun Oil Bottle.

I don't cut mobile 1 it's thin enough as is. I use one if these to apply it.

https://www.classicshaving.com/colle...dle-applicator

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You don't need Browning Gun Oil.......you need a Browning Gun Oil Bottle.
    I have a bottle with some in it. I added it to my little gun oil collection