MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could old powder damage brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    As I mentioned before, this was all fairly recent manufacture range brass, mostly with headstamp dates in the past couple years. At the risk of sounding like a jerk, it’s NOT worn out brass.

I’m convinced at this point that it has something to do with case prep. Either way, I’m over it. I’ll reconsider my case prep procedures as I go on, and just move on.
    Hey, maybe it’s worn out brass
    If you figure it out please do let us know. That it’s a nearly 100% thing makes it almost certain that it’s got a specific cause. OTOH, if it never happens again, then maybe it was aliens or sunspots.
    In any case, thanks for posting about it and have a merry Christmas!

Boolit Master

Yeah, sorry guys. I apologize for being snippy when you all are just trying to help. We're going through a bit of a rough patch right now, and I find myself too easily irritated.

Asking any kind of technical advice on the internet reminds me of trying to figure out what's wrong with your car, with all the guys hanging out. Everyone wants to help, and everyone has different ideas and things to try based on whatever experiences they've had on their own vehicles in the past.

I do appreciate any input, but the reason I've eliminated plain, old, worn-out brass as the culprit is because it's all of very recent manufacture, and much if not most was shiny once-fired.

As I've searched around online, I've run across a couple other similar complaints, where guys complained about a high percentage of neck cracks on wet-tumbled brass. Maybe a function of tumbling too long, using too much Lemishine, combined with an undersized expander and too much case tension on ammo stored for a year? That's just a guess, and probably wrong.

Going forward all I can do is use less Lemishine and Dawn (cleans fine with just a little), tumble for less time, anneal any brass that might be stored loaded a while, and try different dies. Overkill? I don't know what else to do. Sure, why not. I've already done my best to alien-proof my house.

Boolit Master

You'll get it figured out. Please share with everyone here, once ya do...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I'm reminded that acids preferentially extract the zinc atoms from brass alloys. This is why brass that's been in the tumbler with Lemishine too long has a reddish cast to it. Done it myself once. Don't recall any subsequent problems with that batch, though.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I don't know about Lemishine, but I use citric acid. As has been said before, it doesn't take much. I use 1 teaspoonful in about 2 1/2 gallons of water. I've tried a little more, but didn't work any better.
    I also use 1 teaspoon full of Armorall Wash n Wax premium. The Aromor-All leaves a nice coating that does not tarnish for a long time. Tumble for 2 hours at 50-60 rpm. Tumbler drum is 6" pvc. Have not seen this problem. Did have a friend who had some OLD obscure ammo that the cases split down the side EVERY time. That stuff was made before WW2, but don't remember the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Cartridge brass that has been exposed to ammonia that is in bore cleaning solvent will ruin the structure of brass.
    This.

On the 24hourcampfire.com the Ask the Gunwriters forum, I posted a similar issue with new .44 magnum brass the was loaded and sat for years. Ammonia from mice, rats, cleaning fumes can weaken brass. Strange for sure.

Boolit Buddy

Ok folks. I loaded about 1000 rounds with data 2200 roughly 20 years ago. Brass was tumbled with corn Cobb. Never had a problem... until a few weeks back, took some out to shoot. Almost every neck split. The brass was purchased from Scarchs ? All was trimmed etc before loading. Now I get to do a bunch of bullet pulling I fear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123