Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Revolver, Smith & Wesson VS Ruger?

Boolit Mold

New Revolver, Smith & Wesson VS Ruger?

Howdy all, I’ve had the notion for a while to buy a 4 inch 44 magnum revolver. With all the knowledge this site has to offer I figured this would be the best place to pose my question. I’ve decided to buy either a NEW S&W 629 or a NEW Ruger Redhawk. So that being said my question to everyone is which one would be the better choice as far as reliability and value? I’ve read about some QC issues from both companies in recent years so I’m looking for some first hand experience with the newer guns. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not a fan of the etched rifling Smith and Wesson uses for shooting boolits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I don’t like the single spring lockwork of the redhawk. I much prefer the dbl spring setup of the super redhawk.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find a 629-4 or -3, you'd have a great 44. I'm not too familiar with newer S&Ws. Didn't like the lock or the MIM. The Ruger is less refined (to me) but built stout and can digest a steady diet (thousands) of the heaviest loads.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the Rugers. I have not ever been disappointed in the ones I have owned/own, and regret letting go some that I did.

They were a Single Six- .22, Security Six- .357M, Super Red Hawk- .44M, LCR- .357M, 10-22-.22. All , except the LCR were purchased back in the 80's & ae of 60s, 70, & 80s vintage. All I have left is the last 3 & will not sell them. They will go to my sons or grandsons.

I have only had one S&W & it was a SS model 686 Silhouette ( front & rear sights adjustable), and like some of the Rugers above, was sold regretfully due to medical expenses need to be paid for youngest son, or I would still have them.

That S&W was an excellent handgun, but Ruger has been good to me & so I would recommend one of them.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to get.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

I would avoid a NEW S&W.
    Look for a vintage S&W in mint condition...and that would be my first choice.

Second choice would be a Ruger...New or used but minty.

If you got lots of money, don't forget about the vintage Colt Anaconda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies what exactly is bad about the New S&W guns? An anaconda may be a little out of my price range lol

Moderator Emeritus

My opinion on NEW S&W.
    read my post from a year ago (post #10 in the link below)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4342540
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

I bought a used Redhawk .44 with 5.5" barrel a while back and really like it. One solid rugged gun that locks up like Fort Knox. I've got a M28 S&W revolver in .357 so can't give you a comparison there, but it's the same frame as the M29. The Ruger is just a heftier piece all the way around. Has an ingenious lockup ahead of the cylinder that the S&W doesn't have.
    The Ruger bore slugs at .4295 & the cylinder is .4325, so it's great for cast. I size at .432. All I shoot is cast and it does that really well.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the links JonB I’ll have to read through those when I have more time, but from what little I have read I think the NEW S&W just fell out of the running. Looks like the best option for me would be to find an older one or go with the Ruger.

Boolit Master

It too bad that S&W isn't what it used to be. I'm a big fan of the older S&W revolvers, always have been. Ruger revolvers just never felt right to me, the weight and balance, just a personal taste thing. I had a Super Redhawk for a short time. It just never grew on me.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    It too bad that S&W isn't what it used to be. I'm a big fan of the older S&W revolvers, always have been. Ruger revolvers just never felt right to me, the weight and balance, just a personal taste thing. I had a Super Redhawk for a short time. It just never grew on me.
    I agree.
    I have several examples of each over the years. I like the Rugers, but they just don't have the "feel" of the S&W designs.

I still have a GP-100, and it's a fairly new build. It has real good fit and finish and overall just looks nice, and it shoots well...but it sure doesn't feel as good in my hand, as my Mod 19 or my Mod 27.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Why new?? I have an early 5.5 Redhawk and like it, but it is massive. I don’t get along well with N Frames, has multiple 29s when shooting ihmsa but kept selling them(for a profit). I would buy used, could almost buy both used for what the new one will run, depending. Then sell the other for what you gave for it, aside from taxes. That said, I just had to have a 5 inch Lipseys GP100 in 44special. Bought it new and am well pleased, gave it the same inspection I would a used revolver. On the new Rugers, I won’t buy without putting hands on and the distributor specials seem to have been inspected before landing in the gun shop, based on the ones I have been interested enough to inspect.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I am another that is not a fan of the lock work on the redhawk they say a really good shot can deal with a bad trigger better than mediocre shot I am living proof that is true I need a good trigger to shoot my best so I would choose the smith , and I have way more Rugers than smiths the Red hawk is the only model Ruger I have not been able to get a trigger I like.
    That said if I was going to load a lot of max loads (I ain't ) I would consider another red hawk.

Banned
    You're going to get about as many different opinions as responses.

I will say that the Rugers are very strong, lack that ridiculous internal lock and probably cost a little less.

Boolit Buddy
    Questions such as this are traditionally answered by ignoring the posters stated preferences and responding,"Whut yew shuld REALLY do is..."

So...Whut yew shuld really do is look for a pre-21st century Smith and Wesson Model 29, in that earlier manufacturing techniques produced weapons aesthetically more satisfying than the current production models. In exchange for whatever wear it might show, it will in all likelihood be less expensive than a new revolver, and mechanically just as sound. Few people shoot revolvers of this caliber enough to put much wear on them.

Boolit Mold
    Well after searching a little online and seeing the high prices people are asking for used S&W I’m leaning more towards the new ruger. Besides I’ve never owned a ruger double action and that would be one way to justify buying the ruger (just hope the better half agrees lol). I wanna thank y’all again for all the input, this site is a great place to learn and I hope one day I can start to pass the knowledge on myself.

Boolit Master
    Without digging back in the thread, but anyway.. It would benefit you to actually shoot the revolvers that interest you before plunking down the funds. Do you have friends with 44s you like, maybe a local range to go visit and talk to some other revolver guys? I know most folk around our range are happy to let someone shoot a gun we have that they are interested in. Shoot, son and I got to put a box thru a 58,000.00$ SxS one day. Guy had a ball watching us shoot it.
    Oh, and pay attention to what they are selling for, don’t matter what they are asking(used guns). Use advanced search on gunbroker, select closed auctions. You will see guns listed for 1200$ a half dozen times then the same model selling for 750 to 850. That is the actual market value. I am stalking a 629 hunter custom shop gun, dealer wants 1000$, days it’s new. Well it’s not new and The same model has sold from 800 to 900 consistently. We are at stalemate, either a nitwit comes in and pays his price, or he will figure it out. Deals are out there and an older smith is very little risk. You ever consider 44 Special instead?? Gp100...,
    Last edited by rking22; 12-09-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    My dad has a pretty nice collection of old S&W revolvers and he has a 6 inch 29 I’ve shot a few times and I liked it. I dont know anyone around me that owns a ruger double action. Funny you mention the special I was just looking at the lipsey’s 5 inch half lug 44 special GP100 I think I may be in love lol. A lot of decisions to make
    Last edited by ARS1911; 12-09-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast