RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Opinions on Original vs Modern Reproduction Lever guns?

Boolit Mold
    I gre up with my dad's 92 in 38-40 so my first lever gun was a Taylors (ASM) 92 in 44-40. Its a Work of Art! Feel so light and nimble, its still my favorite. I shoot Classic Cowboy in SASS, that means 1873 and older so I have 44-40 Uberti Cimarron's, an 1866 and 1873, both Fine shooters as well as an 1886 in 45-90 and 1866 in 44-40 from Miroku. I'm NOT a fan of the mirokus, the 66 is ok but plain, the 86 is just clunky. In all, I like shooting my guns so only re-po's for me. I'd be too afraid to damage an antique but I SURE like handling and looking at them. I shoot Holey Black in everything including my CZ Hammer Coach and Chinese 1887 lever shotgun. The Chinese gun needs a lot of final finishing but its smooth as glass and the CZ is a fine piece of workmanship that can handle 3" shells.

Quote Originally Posted by 44WCFKID View Post
    I gre up with my dad's 92 in 38-40 so my first lever gun was a Taylors (ASM) 92 in 44-40. Its a Work of Art! Feel so light and nimble, its still my favorite. I shoot Classic Cowboy in SASS, that means 1873 and older so I have 44-40 Uberti Cimarron's, an 1866 and 1873, both Fine shooters as well as an 1886 in 45-90 and 1866 in 44-40 from Miroku. I'm NOT a fan of the mirokus, the 66 is ok but plain, the 86 is just clunky. In all, I like shooting my guns so only re-po's for me. I'd be too afraid to damage an antique but I SURE like handling and looking at them. I shoot Holey Black in everything including my CZ Hammer Coach and Chinese 1887 lever shotgun. The Chinese gun needs a lot of final finishing but its smooth as glass and the CZ is a fine piece of workmanship that can handle 3" shells.
    I dont like to shoot BP, thats something that will eat up the steel. I only use smokeless. If you forget a small portion of powder in a hole or crack somewhere, in a week you'll comeback and it will be quite rusty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I dont like to shoot BP, thats something that will eat up the steel. I only use smokeless. If you forget a small portion of powder in a hole or crack somewhere, in a week you'll comeback and it will be quite rusty.
    Kev
    the way you care for your guns I dont believe blackpowder would cause you any problems at all - its certainly not something you should be scared of - cleanup is quick and easy - just needs to do it is all.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Kev
    the way you care for your guns I dont believe blackpowder would cause you any problems at all - its certainly not something you should be scared of - cleanup is quick and easy - just needs to do it is all.
    I use bp in my original 1858, and dont mind in old DB shotguns since its really easy cleaning. But if powder gets in the action of a rifle or even alittle forgotten in the rifling, it can cause issues. I know some people have an extremely different opinion to me. I dont even know how to clean a rifle from BP usage. People make jigs to hold them up but it seems time consuming.

I use bp in my original 1858, and dont mind in old DB shotguns since its really easy cleaning. But if powder gets in the action of a rifle or even alittle forgotten in the rifling, it can cause issues. I know some people have an extremely different opinion to me. I dont even know how to clean a rifle from BP usage. People make jigs to hold them up but it seems time consuming.
    Black powder cleanup is fairly easy, actually. Ballistol cut 7/1 with water cleans blackpowder very well. Just mix it, pour it in a spray bottle and spray the innards of the rifle. Some put it on patches to clean the bore, but I plug the barrel, spray it full of the mixture, let it sit for a minute or two, pour it out and wipe the bore dry. It's a water based oil so it will actually protect the metal.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    I've been shooting BP for over 40 years. I've never had any issues with corrosion shooting muzzle loaders, cap and ball, cartridge and shotgun. I clean my guns, smokeless and BP after I shoot them. I've found PB easier to clean than smokeless anyway, dish-soap, ballistol and water, nothing special!

Quote Originally Posted by 44WCFKID View Post
    I've been shooting BP for over 40 years. I've never had any issues with corrosion shooting muzzle loaders, cap and ball, cartridge and shotgun. I clean my guns, smokeless and BP after I shoot them. I've found PB easier to clean than smokeless anyway, dish-soap, ballistol and water, nothing special!
    Do you just put water down the barrel? Enlighten me.

Boolit Master
    Do you just put water down the barrel? Enlighten me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleaning cradle.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	257109
    Kev
    I made a fold up cleaning cradle to take away to matches - See the flush bottle behind it ? Spout off a tube of caulking goop, large coke bottle, piece of plastic tube

so ..hold the riflle muzzle down and poke the plastic tube a little way in the chamber, squeeze some water through, put the rifle in the rack upside down (shove a couple dry patches in the action if you like - I usually skip that) push one damp patch through from muzzle using a solid rod with a muzzle protector/guard fitted - only one pass

now take the rifle out of the rack, muzzle to the ground and another cycle with the flush bottle

Back to the rack, and another damp patch - maybe a couple strokes

hold the rifle and another cycle with the flush bottle

back in the rack and dry patch it - maybe takes three patches (an older bore might take more patches or even need another pass/cycle of flush and patch) then when you have it clean and dry - soak a patch in whatever you use for bore oil (despite lots of serious advice against it from well meaning experts here, all I use is WD40, it doesnt gunk up my bore and my guns dont rust)

This whole thing sounds like an complicated rigamarole, but its not, I leave the cleaning rack, container of patches, cleaning rod, flush bottle and spare container of water on a little bench in my machinery shed - the whole deal with the 76 in the picture takes less than five minutes

I use water at room temperature, might put a drop of dish wash in a gallon but dont think you need it, I tear up old flannelette bedsheets for patches, about 2 - 2and a half inches square and keep them in a closed container (plastic Ice cream), cleaning rod is a homemade deal with a brass jag, you might wanna use a brass wire brush - I dont, The last dry patch I always make squeaky tight and check it closely for any little flakes of lead - if ya see that then deal with it clean till its out! - then load an overpowder wad and more/better lube for starters

I'm with joe on this one..... If it was built to shoot BP, then I feed it BP. Not scary at all. My cleaning methods are slightly different, but not enough to elaborate over. Water, dish soap, ballistol, oil of choice to finish. That's my entire kit. Try it....you'll LOVE it!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I'm with joe on this one..... If it was built to shoot BP, then I feed it BP. Not scary at all. My cleaning methods are slightly different, but not enough to elaborate over. Water, dish soap, ballistol, oil of choice to finish. That's my entire kit. Try it....you'll LOVE it!!
    I have shot BP before. It's fun and all but very messy. I originally tried it in my 86 but couldn't hit a paper ten feet away. So I tried to come up with a smokeless load, and I did. But it took two years of insane research. There's. A thread about it in this section of the forum. Odd calibers are fun but require TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by .45colt View Post
    Buy what You want new or old and shoot All You can while Your Upright...... A Friend of mine passed a few years ago He had been collecting Savage 99's and Winchester 88's for forty years had a few odd ball things like original Win 1895 src and a bunch of revolvers. He had around fifty original rifles,most He never shot. At His estate sale the gun buyers looked like a bunch of Vultures on a kill. It was sad. He didn't take even one with Him.
    I guess in some ways I was one of those vultures going to estate auctions here in So. Indiana in the late 90’s early 2000’s. When it gets down to it, these cherished firearms are ours to reside with, then they will go to someone else. They will go to someone else in whatever condition they get them. Now my collection has matured and they get shot, even 1890s produced firearms with low pressure smokeless and lead bullets.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567