Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Original vs Modern Reproduction Lever guns?

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Bolt actions are crap ---utilitarian, effective, but nothing more than tools...............................
    Dont hold back, tell us how you feel!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks, Schrapnel. What mode of operation are the Burgess shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks, Schrapnel. What mode of operation are the Burgess shotguns?

Here are some pictures of the gun and original catalog from burgess. The shotgun is a wrist slide action, unique to Burgess. I also have a wrist slide action 44 WCF with 2 barrels...

Now that is neat! Thanks for the lesson and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    Therein lies the problem with them.

Kev, my 40-82 is from 1895 and has a round barrel. It was such a boat anchor when I got it and I mean REALLY rough, except for the bore which is about 95%. Even though I used it that way for a few years, I finally sent it off and had it refreshed. Couldn't call it a full restoration but at least I'm not worried about the stock breaking now.
    Always nice to give new life to a rifle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Dont hold back, tell us how you feel!

Well - no use beating around the bushes mate !
    I currently own four bolt guns - all very effective tools ! even includes a decent model 70 winchester that I all but wore out killin stuff -- real nice pretty piece of wood too - but its just a hunk of wood and metal - dead in the hands - pick up any of the lever guns I keep for FUN and they feel alive...................

I have repro's and originals, but I have a real soft spot for the originals.

This is an 1886 production 38 WCF, and it has been USED, and I use it too. If you look carefully at the forearm just ahead of the receiver, you can see that the wood is quite visibly worn from being carried. In the interest of full disclosure, I did have to have the barrel lined as it was completely trashed. But she's a damn good shooter now!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Nice rifle. I have one but I don't use it as It tarnishes quickly. Its fully nickel plated so as soon as it gets moisture on it, it goes black. Id like to buy another thats just a standard model.

I like both, These beauties are made in 1892 with consequetive 4 digit serial numbers!

Then there is the Pedersoli 1886 in 45/70 at a price I could afford.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I love the originals, and still shoot them. That is what they were made to do...

Hard to beat that kind of hunting!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Them's some tuff wabbits you got there, if ya use an 1895 on 'em!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Wish I could have some of those guns. They look really nice

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We shoot everything we buy. I have gone hunting corn crunchers and groundhogs with flintlocks made around 1780. Have one with parts from the 1770's. Regularly take out a 1819 Halls Breech loader. So all the rest are newer made and we are shooter / hunters.
    Spencer, Frank Wesson, old caplocks, old military, right up to recent. They have no purpose but to get shot.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    We shoot everything we buy. I have gone hunting corn crunchers and groundhogs with flintlocks made around 1780. Have one with parts from the 1770's. Regularly take out a 1819 Halls Breech loader. So all the rest are newer made and we are shooter / hunters.
    Spencer, Frank Wesson, old caplocks, old military, right up to recent. They have no purpose but to get shot.
    I'm the same way. But people these days are to scared to shoot anything that's old. Scared of their own shadow. They rather spend thousands on a conversation piece and wall hanger instead of going out and trying it. Shame. Sounds like you have nice rifles though

Boolit Bub
    I buy guns to shoot and hunt with. Newer guns are cheaper and more available, so that’s what I’ve ended up with, although I’ve never bought a factory new lever gun. I’ll put my own wear and history on them and when I’m gone my kids will remember me through the wear and stories. Anybody that thinks a modern made quality gun won’t last for 100 years the way prewar guns have is fooling themselves.
    That being said, I would love to be able to find and afford an antique, although I’d have some reservations about beating a classic through the woods. But to hold one and imagine the history behind them is a great feeling. I got burned buying a pre64 model 94, and haven’t really had the stomach to try again. But I suppose that could happen with any used gun, not just classics or antiques.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    I buy guns to shoot and hunt with. Newer guns are cheaper and more available, so that’s what I’ve ended up with, although I’ve never bought a factory new lever gun. I’ll put my own wear and history on them and when I’m gone my kids will remember me through the wear and stories. Anybody that thinks a modern made quality gun won’t last for 100 years the way prewar guns have is fooling themselves.
    That being said, I would love to be able to find and afford an antique, although I’d have some reservations about beating a classic through the woods. But to hold one and imagine the history behind them is a great feeling. I got burned buying a pre64 model 94, and haven’t really had the stomach to try again. But I suppose that could happen with any used gun, not just classics or antiques.
    Im sure guns these days will last alot longer. More rust resistant and better materials. Look around for antiques when possible

Boolit Master

My appreciation for lever guns stems almost entirely from my Dad's interests - I do not own one, have little intention of buying one unless maybe it's a pistol caliber plinker, and would typically rather shoot bolt actions. I get my lever fix when we meet up and I get to help him with load development.

So from that perspective I kinda look at it like this:

1. The biggest leap forward in my enjoyment of hunting was when I switched to stainless and synthetic guns. I had weapon maintenance pounded into me early and have witnessed plenty of old carbon steel and wood guns with serious cancer. When I learned that being out in GOOD hunting weather is what causes that, having a modern gun that allows me to be in the field without the need for a complete tear down and re-lube in my mind is NICE.

2. If they aren't suffering from being old, old guns often "suffer" from being nice - as in too nice to drag through the weeds and use as intended. You can't readily replace what makes them what they are. I really enjoy shooting them at the range, but would far rather bang something plastic against a rock.

3. You mount the optics. . .where, exactly?

4. Having helped Dad tear down and recondition a number of 1800's relics, I've got to say, if I have to wrench on a lever gun, the modern Marlins are a lot less grief to get into.

In favor of the old guns:

1. They didn't have five lawyers and a budget committee involved in the design and production process. As such, they don't have extra safeties that would either require me to remove them or simply not buy the gun at all out of protest.

2. If they made it this far, they were probably made right to begin with.

So I've got this kind of new/old conflict. The lever action as we think of it does not lend itself to modern production methods - that's fine; I'd rather have a milled block of steel anyway. The Uberti repros are probably the best balance of new precision manufacturing and classic features, but since they are intended to be "traditional" guns, they'll rust, rot, be as much of a pain to take apart as the real thing, and won't take a scope without a machine shop backing you up.

So while I prefer handling the old stuff, it's not without it's limitations. The laminate stainless Ruger 77 Gunsite I've been hunting with is enough of a Mauser 98 to please my "old gun" sensibilities, but can handle the real world without pampering. If JM Marlin had made stainless/synthetic, Ballard-rifled, tapped-for-glass, no-button-safety 1895's, I'd probably be a real fan.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have the Fantastic Henry reproduction in 45LC I shoot the heck outta this thing it’s an absolute joy to shoot and have fun plinking with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I have the Fantastic Henry reproduction in 45LC I shoot the heck outta this thing it’s an absolute joy to shoot and have fun plinking with.
    Ya but thats because originals are super expensive. Even if I would buy one, Id need to get it converted. I don't want to shoot single fire with .44RF

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast