Boolit Master

I’m curious to see what we find here!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

rondog-- another curious thread follower here....have you solved the problem yet?

Last count I had around 9 of these rifles, and all of them work great! I was trained and armed with the M1 in the Army way back in the early '60s, even shot them on a rifle team, shot thousands of rounds, and never experienced the problem you're having. It's a most educational thread, because also I've never experienced the en-bloc clip problems that others seem to be having (or have had in the past). I sure don't know everything there is to know about M1s, but have been around them, and sure would like to know how this turns out. If all the mechanics are working well, as you said they did before the refinishing and new stock, then it just might be the new stock binding something up. One way you might narrow the problem down is to take the action out of the stock and reassemble the trigger group to the bottom of the action, then see if you can insert a loaded clip out of the stock. If that works o.k., then the problem is narrowed down to the stock and you'll have to figure out what is pressing against what.
    Be very careful, unless you have some dummies or want to take time to make some.

Boolit Buddy
    There are a lot of en-bloc clips out there now that have had crappy refinishing. A rough thick second layer added which can be sometimes soft enough to be scraped off in places with a thumbnail.
    This can be detrimental to insertion and ejection.
    Some time in a vibratory media tumbler helps smooth up the nasty refinish to improve functioning.

Sorry, kinda forgot about this - holidays and all, and chronic back pain is keeping me distracted.

It's definitely assembled correctly, but I'll try taking it out of the stock and seeing how it loads then. Don't recall trying that.....

Moderator Emeritus

Slightly out of the box, but this seems to have not as yet been suggested. Are you loading U S Military Ball ammo, as designed for the Garand; or, perhaps, either commercial or hand-loads? I recall a fellow (Eddie) at range years back having a similar issue; I gifted him an en bloc of military-spec size bullets, and it went in and out several times with no problems at all; then, all 8 shot with no issues. You may have a different situation with your rifle -- but, I thought I'd offer this recalling Ed's challenge. Too many years for me to recall exact details, but I do believe they were commercial jacketed bullets in his reloads.
    BEST wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master

I find it hard to believe the stock is the problem. I've got a couple of M1's that I accurized & bedded with Marinetex and they are TIGHT! Had to use a rubber mallet to close the trigger guard the last little bit. Shot highpower with them for many years. The only place that may have interference is ahead of the receiver under or alongside the op rod.
    If you know someone who has an M1, ask if he'll let you try your receiver in his stock and see if the problem persists.
    The M1 can be problematic sometimes. I built mine up with brand new parts, and sometimes had a malfunction. Substituted another new part and the problem went away. Nothing visibly different between the two parts. Process of solving the problem by elimination. (That was back in the day when you could requisition parts through the old DCM)
    If you can attend a CMP games match, the CMP brings out an amour's van, their gunsmiths are usually glad to help out with problems. Check out their web site.

Boolit Master

I find it hard to believe the stock is the problem. I've got a couple of M1's that I accurized & bedded with Marinetex and they are TIGHT! Had to use a rubber mallet to close the trigger guard the last little bit. Shot highpower with them for many years. The only place that may have interference is ahead of the receiver under or alongside the op rod.
    If you know someone who has an M1, ask if he'll let you try your receiver in his stock and see if the problem persists.
    The M1 can be problematic sometimes. I built mine up with brand new parts, and sometimes had a malfunction. Substituted another new part and the problem went away. Nothing visibly different between the two parts. Process of solving the problem by elimination. (That was back in the day when you could requisition parts through the old DCM)
    If you can attend a CMP games match, the CMP brings out an amour's van, their gunsmiths are usually glad to help out with problems. Check out their web site. odcmp.com

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...ticle20121.pdf
    Last edited by Alstep; 01-11-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12