Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feral Pig Invasion.

Boolit Master
    I use .22LR a lot, but my last one was with a Marlin 336 .30-30 using a NOE .311” 180gr at about 800fps. I was trying to keep it quiet(er) hoping to get two, but it definitely spooked the rest. The shot was at night, using a green light, and fired from 30yards. Anyway, on to the forensics. Impact was in the forehead, the hog dropped in its tracks, and the bullet was found in the space between muscle and rib cage underneath the shoulder blade. I know this isn’t the caliber you asked about, but this works just fine up close, and this load is only about half of what yours is capable of. You really have nothing to worry about other than placement. Your load will fill your freezer.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

In Remembrance

Thanks, Lonegun, ALL info is useful. I also have catsneeze etc., loads made up for the little Ruger boltie, LOL. This thread is meant for everybody's use after all.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have killed feral Hogs with lead projectiles from a 22 long rifle, 38 Special, 12 guage , and 45 Auto. The 22 was used for pigs that were in traps. The others were at extremely close range from a blind, a creek bed, or a canoe in the river. I have killed many more with jacketed bullets and all sorts of rifles, but that was not your question.
    Make a good shot and you're 30 caliber cast bullet will bring home the bacon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This! I cant count the number of hogs I've taken here in West Central Texas. Most were with a super blackhawk in .44 with RCBS 44-240-swc just because its the gun that is always with me. Have taken scores with 22 LR, both in and outside of traps. They are not near as tough as folks make them out to be. I may try that slug in an SKS, just for a truck gun.

Just a hint for ground based hog hunters Have a working handgun with you! Personal friend had a trap released hog turn on him and his SA stove piped after the first shot. Fortunately got the slide racked and another shot (dancing around the trap). Watched many vids of close hog hunting, where one or 2 of the sounder comes straight at you, FAST! Like rabbit fast15 mph.
    Last edited by popper; 01-01-2020 at 11:35 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just a hint for ground hog hunters. Have a working handgun with you!.
    That's crazy! I didn't know ground hogs were that brave. Why didn't your friend just stomp on it or kick it?

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

250# ground hog, boot won't fit.
    Whatever!

Yesterday I shot a 103 pound feral hog. The load was a 125 grain hard cast boolit in my 357 magnum, pushed along with my brothers H110 load of 15 grains.

I hit him right above the eyes. The boolit traveled down the inside of his spine killing him almost instantly. I recovered the bullet it had flattened some what and weighed 117 grains.

To the orphanage he went.

ACC

250lb ground hog???? I think that not even possible. 10-12 lbs tops. This is a ground hog:

Boolit Bub
    Well my Nephew got me hung up on shooting a 300 Blackout when we go hog hunting, he runs suppressed. I usually run a cast, 150g,FN. About 9 months I got tired of having to chase down Hogs and went with something bigger. I have a 450 Bushmaster running a 300g RNFP Gas-checked behind 29.0g of H110. Lets say i don`t have to chase any down no more.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Good humor there, Dinny and Popper

Sadly there are no hogs that I know of in WA State at this time, they'll be baaaaack though, pretty sure

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Good humor there, Dinny and Popper

Sadly there are no hogs that I know of in WA State at this time, they'll be baaaaack though, pretty sure
    Count your blessings! The last thing you want is feral hogs in your area. Unless, of course, you think the game bird or deer populations in your area are too high ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12