Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: is there a web site , or book that lists lathe tools and parts?

Boolit Master

is there a web site , or book that lists lathe tools and parts?

you know ...."lathes for dummys"....(not that i am a dummy)

something with pictures of the various parts and what they are called....tool pictures and what they are called?

Shars site is quite large and they still do painted catalogs

Search the web for an old copy of “How to run a lathe”. Should be some free copies out in the internet.
    Written a long time ago, but still has all the basics of a metal lathe. I have a pdf somewhere, and printed to a shop manual I refer to from time to time.

Boolit Grand Master

Most catalogues from tool shops are pretty good. But some may use pics of similar items in the description. Hers a basic list of lathe tooling 3 jaw universal chuck, all around use works on round and any stock the flats are evenly divided by 3. 4 jaw independent chuck for most accuracy and stock. drill chuck with correct shank for tail stock. Live center with shank for tail stock. Dead center to fit head stock. Tool post and holders. tool bits to fit your machines holders. These can be square HSS cobalt, cemented carbide, or insert tooling. Collets and collet chuck are nice addition also. Here you need to decide lever closer front or rear hand wheel closer front or rear. I prefer the rear lever next in line is the front hand wheel. The lathe can do a lot with little tooling and some thinking.

The big thing to know is your lathes center height, spindle mount, head stock taper, tailstock taper, Make model number and serial number, here it can get tricky as a lot of the old makers were bought out several times and names got added. Getting the right taper shank is important most to small can be used with an adapter sleeve but that's an added expense. Morse tapers are pretty much a standard now in lathe spindles but some used jarno, B&S, and some others. Some had special proprietary tapers for their machines. Morse taper 1 2 3 4 5 are easy to find some can be very hard or need to be made. Im lucky in that both my lathes are #3 moarse tapers so the same drill chucks centers work on both, one is d-4 the other d-3 so chucks don't interchange between them. Both machines have the same aloris tool posts so tool holder interchange with a small adjustment in height. The older lantern posts were very tool holder specific as were the older square rotating blocks.

Most tooling can be made for the lathe as you go and need it takes time but.... A taper shank can be turned between centers by offsetting the tail stock. or the compound set to the right angle. A very accurate adapter/ sleeve can be made easily. Its how involved you want to get.

Boolit Grand Master

You can download a ton of free info on the UK lathe site. How to run a late is free on the internet too or just go to You Tube and start watching the videos. Sherline has a simple lathe starter book with simple projects.

Text book for use in basic machine tooling vocation class room.
    Some times they get new ones which is hoping will be selected as course text book.
    I have one which is over ten years old and as many 'updates' ie new # more $.
    Still refer to it for some basic questions and even complex ones.
    The one I have even has unit quizes so you can see what author considered important.
    Check in with a local voc-ed unit and tell instructor what you need. Karma might strike.

Boolit Master
    Atlas the maker of many of the small lathes that sears used to send out a combined catalog and parts listing. Clausing also did the same. I seem to remember both names Atlas & Clausing. South bend did the same. Sound bend also made a book on how to run a lathe. I'm sure that with a little help from google you can get even more. Starret the instrument maker also did send out abunch of charts decimel equivalents. drill charts and tap and drill charts, When I was the supervisor for our tank farm I remember getting all the charts. And getting them framed and hung on the shop walls. Frank

I have a copy of "How to Run a Lathe" on my web server. Here is the link for download: http://www.arcaneiron.com/machines/HowtoRunaLathe.pdf My server isn't the fastest and it's 150M download so it might take a few minutes but I scanned it in myself at a higher resolution.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Boolit Master
    nowadays Youtube is a good resource.
    Check out Mrpete222 and Joe pie
    Mrpete222 is a former high school shop teacher
    Joe Pie is a high end experienced machinist that can explain stuff to us common folk

Boolit Master
    Joe Pie has some very interesting video. I'm a class A die maker and have still learned a few new tricks from him.

Boolit Master
    hey scrap metal!

thank you much!

just what i was looking for.

No problem, glad to help.

-Ron