Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Snubnose?

Banned

love my S&W 642 centennial #103810 (no internal lock). cheapest i can find now is grabagun for $357/shipped.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish Charter Arms would lop a 1/2" off the Bulldog barrel (or add a front sight to the Boomer).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snubbies.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	252674

Boolit Master

I have had a steel frame 36 for more years than I can remember. It loves cast and has never failed in any way.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've been looking online. Found one S&W Model 10 in excellent condition. Square butt makes it a little bigger. Older Smiths are priced at a premium. I have to admit that I'm attracted, mostly due to a weakness for "pride of ownership".

Also looked at Ruger LCR. Watching a Hickok 45 video on the Ruger. Not much "pride" there but seems like a decent revolver despite the modern appearance.

I'm not too concerned about recoil in a lightweight gun. I doubt that I would shoot full power loads and if I went with the Model 10, the extra weight would modify the recoil anyway.
    alamogunr - Your anticipated use should be a big part of your decision making process.

How Will You Carry the Gun ?
    How Often Will You Carry the Gun?
    Is Absolute Concealment a Critical Factor?
    What Type of Activity Will You Be Engaged in While Carrying the Gun?

As much as I prefer the K-frame snubnose models over the J-frame models (And I completely agree with Outpost75's prior post), sometimes necessity dictates a compromise.

Factors such as pocket carry / ankle holster / OWB holster will influence your decision (or at least should influence your decision).

Is concealment critical or if the gun prints occasionally it will be no big deal?

Will the gun be carried daily? Will the gun be carried daily ALL day long ? (this is more important than most people realize)

Will you be engaged in heavy physical activity? Running errands? Dealing with people that don't know you're armed ? Working around water?

A snubnose is an excellent self-defense tool but the decision to equip yourself with a snubnose is only the first part of the decision.
    It's like saying you want a motorcycle.
    Off-road, highway, both? , 10 miles a week or 300 miles a day?, Touring with gear for months of riding or sport riding for less than a day at a time? ???
    Deciding on a Snubnose revolver is the first step in that decision making process.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 12-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    alamogunr - Your anticipated use should be a big part of your decision making process.

How Will You Carry the Gun ?
    How Often Will You Carry the Gun?
    Is Absolute Concealment a Critical Factor?
    What Type of Activity Will You Be Engaged in While Carrying the Gun?

As much as I prefer the K-frame snubnose models over the J-frame models (And I completely agree with Outpost75's prior post), sometimes necessity dictates a compromise.

Factors such as pocket carry / ankle holster / OWB holster will influence your decision (or at least should influence your decision).

Is concealment critical or if the gun prints occasionally it will be no big deal?

Will the gun be carried daily? Will the gun be carried daily ALL day long ? (this is more important than most people realize)

Will you be engaged in heavy physical activity? Running errands? Dealing with people that don't know you're armed ? Working around water?

A snubnose is an excellent self-defense tool but the decision to equip yourself with a snubnose is only the first part of the decision.
    It's like saying you want a motorcycle.
    Off-road, highway, both? , 10 miles a week or 300 miles a day?, Touring with gear for months of riding or sport riding for less than a day at a time? ???
    Deciding on a Snubnose revolver is the first step in that decision making process.

I would add 1 more category
    My favorite , range toy

Boolit Master
    Lots of good advice, per the norm around here. I did notice one glaring omission. I note you primarily just want one to play with and not to carry( I think you may change you mind after spending a little time together). With that in mind, I would suggest a K frame or SP101 for starters. I love j frames, but steel for me, a M36 specifically. The whole family carries snubs, 2 M36s(bones hammers) and a Taurus M85.
    Back to that omission, if I were lookingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	16FCB246-8D31-418D-852F-D02C81A544CE.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	252675 for your criteria

Yeah, used out of production ect, but an outstanding revolver! I have a 4 inch, and if I come across a 2 inch service six for reasonable it will come home.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1808.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	252679

rking22 - I will say the Speed-Six holds a place in my heart.

However, I never really considered it to be a "snubnose" (not that snubnose is a well defined concept)

The Speed-Six, seen on the left in the above picture, has a 2.75" barrel which puts it in the 3" category for me.
    It's also very heavy for its size. They are great revolvers but just a little outside of the snubnose class in my book.

Banned

as P&P posted, it's all about a firearm's primary intended purpose. start there, first & foremost. for lotsa folks it's not so much about purpose as it is aesthetics, and then that cool 3" bbl "kit gun", with its 3 finger grip and heavy frame is found to be not as ideal as an alum frame 2" bbl, 2 finger CCW snubby.

Boolit Master

I guess I need to make one thing clear. I'm 77 years old. I still have my health and get around well for my age. Actually, I do a whole lot better than most I know that are my age. I still work out(although not as often as I used to) and try to use common sense about most things physical. I do know that I am not the man I was 10(or even 5) years ago. Time marches on. Several have mentioned recoil. I am acquainted with recoil thru 1911's, 5 shot .45 Colt conversions, .475 L and .454Casull. Not that I shoot them every day. The worst experience I have had with recoil was a .44 Mag Ruger Blackhawk(w/square back trigger guard). That gun went to a gunsmith for conversion to 5 shot .45 and a reshaped grip frame.

When several posters asked about my use for the gun in question, I have to say, it could be anything. I just want one. I've got several handguns that could be pressed into service as a carry firearm. I don't carry every day, all day. At my age, I'm not going to put myself in situations that might increase the possibility of personal risk. The closest I can think of that might be risky is going to the ATM after dark. I usually have a BIG handgun(think 1911 or Glock 21) on the seat beside me. Since it is a drive thru, I don't get out of the truck. Not a big deal because I seldom go after dark.

I don't feel comfortable carrying in church. I haven't had training that several LEO's in the congregation have had, so I prefer not to take a chance. The only thing I have considered is a baton. That too is a bit of a stretch since they require a certain amount of training to be effective.

I hope this has cleared things up a bit. The information posted so far has been very helpful. I let the auction for the Model 10 expire with no bids hoping it might be relisted at a lower starting point. I'm also considering the Ruger LCR. I'm a reluctant fan of Hickok 45 and watched his video reviewing the LCR. He was impressed with it.

Sorry to run on so long but felt I needed to be forthright about my intentions.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    The LCR has a good trigger and is light weight .My wife has a 649 and the LCR she much prefers the Ruger.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don’t put myself into situations that put me into increased personal risk either. But that is a poor excuse not to carry if you can do so.

The other party trying to do you harm gets a vote, and even if you do not decide to engage in personal activities that put you in increased personal risk, the other person might decide that you are the perfect candidate to put at risk and won’t ask your permission before doing so. Who knows with certainty what is safe and what is not?

Aging people get increasingly put in the “vulnerable” category wherever they go. Best to be so attired as to contest that assessment when it is being made by someone else.

Just my opinion. Ultimately it is the personal choice and not mine to make for someone else.

Boolit Master
    I’m with Outpost75: K-frame all the way, I even have a twin to his M-10.

K-frames are so much easier to shoot accurately than J-frames.

I carry a 3” K-frame all day, every day in a Lobo AIWB holster. I don’t get the complaints about weight, I don’t notice it.

I’ll gladly pack some extra weight and bulk for a gun I’m highly-confident in and that’s fun to shoot (which means I practice with it a lot.)

Banned
    alamogunr - How do you intend to carry the gun?

Ankle Holster?
    Pocket ?
    OWB holster?
    Some other method?

Boolit Master
    I too carry all day every day and won't carry anything that weighs over 20 ounces, unloaded. Won't have an exposed hammer on a snubbie, either! During the warm months, it's a 342 Airweight. During the cold months, I switch over to the 357 chambered LCR. Believe me when I say, I can tell the two ounce difference in weight.............my rebuilt knee, reminds me.

Ninety percent of the time, it's pocket carry, in a Mika pocket holster. Tried a IWB, but all I got out of it, was marred up backs of the wooden kitchen chairs, from the exposed grip. The only time I use an IWB holster is when working around my acreage.

Winelover

Boolit Master

alamogunr - How do you intend to carry the gun?

Ankle Holster?
    Pocket ?
    OWB holster?
    Some other method?
    Probably OWB. I've got a couple of IWB holsters and don't care for them. I know they are all the rage but, unlike many have posted, I don't carry all day, every day. IWB requires different size pants and I'm not one to have 2 different size pants on hand. In summer my shirts are big and long enough to cover. In winter, I might have the gun in a coat pocket if it is cold enough to really wrap up. That is not often here in Tennessee.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I also carry all day every day , owb or iwb occasionally shoulder` I don't care for pocket carry normally 3 to 4" autos or revolvers .
    I could be comfortable with any that have been posted but prefer longer barrels. But I likeum all.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I routinely carry my Airweight Model 12 in a pocket holster. Bob Mika makes the old school cop pocket holsters which fit a K-frame, in either square cut or round cut, as needed to fit securely in the hand warmer pocket of a uniform P-coat or your Carharts. In summer it fits as easily in the hip pocket of my Duluth Trading middle management chinos or firehose work pants, as they cut the pockets deep for tools, etc., and after all the gun is a "tool."

I have a 4-inch Model 12 also, which is a common winter coat-pocket carry. The Mika pocket holster will also stay put if tucked IWB and I sometimes carry the 4-incher that way in warmer weather when a coat isn't needed.

Attachment 252699Attachment 252700
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    When carried IWB I wear the same pant size as without. The gun fits in the crease between groin and thigh at 1 o’clock. A j frame size revolver makes this especially easy, but it works with larger pistols as well.

Banned
    Outpost75, I will respectfully say that in order to pocket carry a 2" K-frame, one really needs large pockets. Your identification of the Duluth Trading chinos and work pants is key. Without the appropriate clothing, it would be difficult to pull that off.

Most Khakis, blue jeans and dress pants will not conceal a 2" K-frame within the pocket or at least not well.

Coat pockets and BDU cargo pockets will conceal a K-frame

Clothing is key

Boolit Grand Master
    Outpost75, I will respectfully say that in order to pocket carry a 2" K-frame, one really needs large pockets. Your identification of the Duluth Trading chinos and work pants is key. Without the appropriate clothing, it would be difficult to pull that off.

Most Khakis, blue jeans and dress pants will not conceal a 2" K-frame within the pocket or at least not well.

Coat pockets and BDU cargo pockets will conceal a K-frame

Clothing is key
    Yes indeed. It’s hard to conceal a revolver when you’re naked.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast