RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Snubnose?

Boolit Bub
    I like my 1950's vintage S&W airweight snubbie in .38 Spcl. It just goes right in a front pocket of my blue jeans slick as a whistle. Or a coat pocket, cuz up here in the Mitten, we can wear a coat 10-11 months out of the year, and not look out of place

Regards,
    Greg in West Mitten

I have others, but if I had to choose one it would be my S&W 642.

Boolit Master
    S&W 642 for CCW it’s a perfect revolver.

I've have owned many S&W snubs. I have no use for them and are trade material. Shot them a good bit just plinking. J & K frame both. I have a good size hoard of S&Ws on hand and have had no trouble with any of them. The one I should have kept was a M38 with shrouded hammer. I did mess with it a couple years because it was so light and compact. I don't shoot snubs well enough to suit me but you put them on a rest and the accuracy is surprising. Most smiths will tell you that S&W da revolvers are the most dependable and trouble free revolvers built to date. Colts are good guns but they are subject to more problems. The only other make I would consider is Ruger. If I'm worried enough to carry a gun for PD it's not going to be second rate stuff. I only own one murder weapon a Walther PP 32acp. The only reason I keep it is it shoots well enough to be interesting and is dependable.

Groo here
    I went to a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spec......
    Big bullet , low pressure aka bowling ball..

Banned
    While I would prefer to shoot a 2" K-frame over the J-frame snubnose, sometimes necessity dictates a compromise.

Boolit Buddy

I like the J frame snubs. Have several steel and lightweight guns. I tend to pocket carry both, and don’t mind the insignificant (to me) weight difference. Right now it is a 640 in the right front pocket. I think the steel guns are less likely to give trouble, I had to return a 642, because the pin holding the trigger return spring came adrift from the aluminum frame. Less likely to happen in a steel frame, I suspect.

Boolit Master
    I'm with Winelover on this one. While I've carried a smith j-frame in my right front pocket for the last 25 years, I've found people new to snubbers have a much easier time learning to shoot the Ruger LCR. It's just more ergonomic somehow. As for me, I'm stuck with the j-frame as I simply too used to it. The lightweight S&W J-frames don't last that long, maybe 10,000 rounds at the outside, which is about as many rounds as it will take you to get good with one.
    I'm on my second one.

Boolit Buddy

Not sure what your specific rqmts would be, but I just bought a Taurus 605 in .357 mag. I will probably shoot nothing hotter than +P and it will be my carry gun. All of the reviews I read on it gave it really high marks and it was like $285 compared to other options closer to 400+. Just mho....i am no expert.

Trying out Lyman #41026, the Lee 41-195 SWC and 41-240RN.
    Soon will be the #41027HB (loaded backwards of course!).

Oh, sorry, it's the Charter Pug.

I could see a big hollow point for this .41 Rivet cavity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivet mod 4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	252626

I have owned a S&W Cheifs special, two Colt Police Positive Special shortened to 2”, a Charter Arms Bulldog and Undercover, and a Taurus 85. All were dead nuts reliable, but the Smith and the Colts were quite accurate- enough so for collecting the odd rabbit or squirrel if need be. I’m currently snubless but I’d like a m38 blue S&W Bodyguard- because I like the SA option. Colts are For collectors these days. My pocket gun is a S&W Shield 9mm which is fine but I do like wheelguns.

Boolit Master
    alamogunr...what do you plan on doing with the gun and how much do you plan on shooting it...

If you have no plans on carrying it, other than occasionally, I would go steel frame...just much more pleasant to shoot and will last a lot longer...

My favorites:
    S&W 649 (the older pre-357 Magnum that take .38 Special +P)

Ruger LCR .357 Magnum (Same size as the .38 Special but has a steel frame instead of aluminum...weighs 2-3 oz. more)

Ruger LCR 9mm

Ruger LCR .327 Federal

To be carried all the time:
    S&W 642 or 442

Best is to buy one of each....

Bob

Boolit Master
    I prefer the Smith J frame but have owned the Ruger LCR. It too is a fine gun. I prefer the J because I have always been a S&W fan. The Ruger will shoot as well and as accurately as the J and and would probably outlast the J. Both will be working when the first owner is dead and gone. If I were jumping out of airplanes or leaving for an extended wilderness trip, I would take the Ruger because it is easier to strip and clean.
    Last edited by lightload; 12-09-2019 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master

I used to carry a model 19 with 2 1/2" barrel and round butt but switched to J frames. My current carry gun is a 642 but I do alternate with my other two model 36's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I've got a Taurus 605 SS 2". Good little gun but, recoil is a little nasty with full power loads. Shoots really good though.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

I've been looking online. Found one S&W Model 10 in excellent condition. Square butt makes it a little bigger. Older Smiths are priced at a premium. I have to admit that I'm attracted, mostly due to a weakness for "pride of ownership".

Also looked at Ruger LCR. Watching a Hickok 45 video on the Ruger. Not much "pride" there but seems like a decent revolver despite the modern appearance.

I'm not too concerned about recoil in a lightweight gun. I doubt that I would shoot full power loads and if I went with the Model 10, the extra weight would modify the recoil anyway.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

If you plan on shooting it alot, for comfort and enjoyment sake, look at a K frame smith otherwise it'll be a 20-30 shot outting. The steel Js might get alittle more use but I really miss my M10 2" and missed out on all the 19/66 that the PDs dumped when plastic fantastic came out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Put top end 158 Plus P through an Airweight in any quantity at a range session and believe me...you’ll be concerned about recoil at that point. A steel gun is a lot less fatiguing.

Enough standard velocity ammo is not a walk in the park after awhile either. Aluminum for carry steel for shootability.

Boolit Master
    If you are not going to carry it a lot then get a steel version. I loved my Ruger SP101. It was a bit snappy with magnum loads but was pleasant to shoot .38's. I put a lot of rounds through it as well as carried it a lot. I also had a Taurus 85 which was smaller and lighter and a Taurus 805 (but screws tended to loosen with .357 loads). The two Taurus' had great triggers too (80's versions). I ended up selling or trading all of them for one reason or another.

I also like the little Ruger LCR, but, have not bought one yet I've fired them a bit and they are not a pistol I would shoot magnum loads at the range on a regular basis. Maybe this next year I will get one as a field gun. I would also not shy away from an older Smith or Colt. I just don't like buying pistols without handling/inspecting them in person before purchase.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast