Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Snubnose?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Outpost75, I will respectfully say that in order to pocket carry a 2" K-frame, one really needs large pockets. Your identification of the Duluth Trading chinos and work pants is key. Without the appropriate clothing, it would be difficult to pull that off.

Most Khakis, blue jeans and dress pants will not conceal a 2" K-frame within the pocket or at least not well.

Coat pockets and BDU cargo pockets will conceal a K-frame

Clothing is key
    Skinny jeans don't cut it, and with 5.11 clothing you may as well wear a raid jacket stenciled

I AM A MALL NINJA!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I don't have an issue with CC a snubby, ( 38 sp. Off Duty C.A. w/bobbed hammer, & a .357M LCR) even with the added 3 finger grips on both, in my pockets. Particularly in cargo pants style shorts, although I wear blue jeans quite a bit. I usually carry in my back pocket for the style of draw I prefer, but I can always still place the pistol & pocket holster in the front if I want without it printing much.
    Of course I went from 190 pounds to 235 pounds in the last 5-6 years, so my "tool shed" over my belt now requires me to add suspenders to hold my trousers up, might contribute to the concealment. ( I had to give up cross draw, unless shoulder holster as the "tool shed" prevents ease of draw, but I carry in pocket with the snubbies more than shoulder holster.)

I think that alamogunr should just get a snubbie he likes to the feel of & that he will be comfortable shooting, and/or CC when he feels like it.

So, I would recommend going to a place that either rents snubbies, or allows for shooting the handguns before buying type shop, or even ask a few friends to shoot theirs before committing to any particular type/make/model/etc.. Shoot some & see what ya like best before buying, is what I am trying to say...

Kind of like "test drive" before ya buy a vehicle. ( I do not buy anything sight unseen that my life might depend on, including vehicles, as well as firearms. , but that might just be me..)

So, while these posts of advice are definitely showing experience with these snubbies, carrying methods, etc & is all pretty good advice, I think going out & doing a bit of testing by shooting would be the best case scenario before a purchase.

If you cannot do that testing, then it is gonna be a tossup if what ya get fits or if you like it or not. Which can be an expensive deal if one keeps moving to another & another til one finds the one that works the best...

Which reminds me of my holster box, which I am sure I am not alone in having one... and the "testing done, only after the purchase most of the time... Let me just say that I have more holsters than handguns at present. I would rather it be the other way around, but that is an expensive way to do things & only certain folks can afford to do that...

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to get. I hope it is the one you want & doers just what ya expect it to do ( the first time. )
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Skinny jeans don't cut it, and with 5.11 clothing you may as well wear a raid jacket stenciled

I AM A MALL NINJA!
    Didn't say I wear skinny jeans or 5.11's

Banned
    JBinMN, that "test drive" you speak of is important but shooting the gun is only part of that test drive.
    How the gun will be carried is just as important as how it shoots, and in fact, may even be more important.

Concealed carry guns are carried a LOT more than they are shot. A gun at home does you no good when you aren't at home with it. If the gun isn't available at the time of need, its useless.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Didn't say I wear skinny jeans or 5.11's
    I didn't mean to imply that you did, but put that out only as a satorial suggestion for the youngsters under age 40 who think they need to be tacti-cool
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    JBinMN, that "test drive" you speak of is important but shooting the gun is only part of that test drive.
    How the gun will be carried is just as important as how it shoots, and in fact, may even be more important.

Concealed carry guns are carried a LOT more than they are shot. A gun at home does you no good when you aren't at home with it. If the gun isn't available at the time of need, its useless.
    I can agree with that. I also think that one should be able to shoot a handgun well, or it is no use to carry it if one has trouble hitting anything with it & either from recoil, the weight of it one way or the other, or other issues one might have with using one.. Granted a snubbie is less likely to be used at longer distances I would think, simply because of the bbl length, but what use is carrying "anything" for self defense if one is not able to use it well?

{BTW, I don't see myself using one out further than perhaps 10 yds in S.Def., even though I practice at more distance. If I am far enough out , then I reckon that I might be able to get out of the situation without shooting, and to top it off, in MN one has to be "reasonable" about the use of a firearm in S.D. & if one can escape or avoid, then that is what is expected by law here.)

You make a good point about the carry situation & I would still recommend for alamogunr, ( or anyone for that matter & if it is possible...) to ask around to see if he can borrow a snubbie or snubbies from someone that he knows, or even a reasonable gun shop might allow it with a deposit, if they know him well enough.

I guess I would put it this way, should one of my buddies or family ask me to borrow one of mine for while to see if they liked it & would carry it, then if I trusted them, I would loan one out. I have done the same for long guns in the past, so I don't see much difference, as long as they can legally carry it concealed.

Anyway, I got the impression that it would be generally not carried much by alamogunrs earlier comments & so I offered the "test drive" possibilities as perhaps some options to consider. In the end it is alamogunr who is going to end up deciding what is right for him. All most of us, if not all of us can do, is suggest things to help make "informed" decisions about things based on what we ourselves know &/or experienced.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Folks, I appreciate all the response to my OP and hope I can act on some of the recommendations some time in the future. I have been watching the national news for the last couple of days and this evening's news settled it. Rather than buy another gun at this time, I'm going to make donations to the NRA(This is not an attempt to start another "I hate the NRA" sequence of posts), The Tennessee Firearms Asso., and one or two other pro 2nd Amendment organizations. I have sons and grandsons and a granddaughter that are in danger of losing their firearms rights.

Maybe sometime later I will look at a snubby again. In the meantime I'm going to print out this entire thread and keep it for reference.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Well! I just completed donations to NRA-ILA, Tennessee Firearms Asso., GOA, and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. There are probably others just as deserving but these are the ones I'm familiar with.
    John
    W.TN

If interested, I will be putting my S&W j-frame , blued steel model 49 "Bodyguard" up for sale soon. Thinning the herd. 1 7/8" barrel. 5 shot, 38 special, single or double action, schrouded hammer area ( humpback).
    S&W model 49 Bodyguard

DEWC full-charge load article:
    https://www.grantcunningham.com/2011...rge-wadcutter/
    Last edited by catboat; 01-04-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    ATTACH=CONFIG]253493[/ATTACH]

My little 49 is one of the best shooting handguns I own I recently traded into a pinned and recessed 2.5” model 19 that should get to my ffl after the holidays it should scratch a few itches at once as I love the combat magnum and short barrel revolvers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14266834-9F16-4B00-A74E-FBCABFBB8C7E.jpg  

Boolit Master

Appreciate the offer, catboat, but as I posted, I've used the funds I planned for the handgun to donate to various organizations that support the 2nd Amendment. In the overall scheme of things, my donations won't make a huge difference but maybe others feel as I do that every little bit helps.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

Well, to each, their own. My favorite is a S&W 37 "Airweight" in .38 special. Alamogunr, an NRA donation is quite reasonable, but please don't forget to vote in the next election. It is quite obvious who wants to disarm us.
    Last edited by Bill*B; 12-24-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    I was handling one of these last week. Felt like a good gun,good workmanship. Definitely fun.

Handling it left a little "want" in my head.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

I AM A MALL NINJA!
    this is what I wear for the most part or their shorts They have Deep pocked https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-d...s-casual-pants

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill*B View Post
    Well, to each, their own. My favorite is a S&W 37 "Airweight" in .38 special. Alamogunr, an NRA donation is quite reasonable, but please don't forget to vote in the next election. It is quite obvious who wants to disarm us.
    I haven't missed voting in any election in which I am eligible since I was 21. My first was the presidential election between Goldwater and Johnson. I learned a lesson in that election which I have never forgotten.
    John
    W.TN

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234