WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turrets

Boolit Buddy

Turrets

What's your favorite turret press an why.

Lee Classic Cast Turret. Speed, convenience, and price.

I would have to say the Lyman T Mag II...

It's small and it's rugged, no flex in the turret top and it's the workhorse in my shop for working up loads.
    Turret changes are very quick, just the one center bolt locks the turret on and there's no loose index balls or springs that'll pop out if not careful.

Over the years I've collected extra turrets and have all my pistol calibers mounted and ready to go.

Recently I discovered that I could velcro attach a ball hat clip-on brim light in front of the powder throw & seater stations to have a better look into a powder filled case.

I've been very happy with this turret for many years...wouldn't trade it for any other turret on the market.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Mine is the Lyman AA. It has the right number of holes in the turret, 4, there is nothing in the way of the shell holder or the dies and it is a very solid press.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replys. I now have a old Lyman spar-t, my first turret. Looking for a press where I can have my dies set up and just switch turrets easily.

Boolit Master
    I have a Lyman Spar-T, a Lyman Truline Jr. & a Lee Classic Cast turret.

I prefer the Lee because of the ease of changing turrets to change over from one caliber to the other by having extra turrets. Even if I had extra turrets for the other two, I think I would stick to the Lee for quick changes.

I currently use the Spar T & the Truline jr. for specific calibers only. Not unlike the single stage presses I use like that as well.

Based on your comment in the post above mine, post #5, I would suggest you look at the Lee Classic Cast, or even the value turret press for the ease & quick change abiities & the cost of the turret plates is not that expensive.

G'Luck! on whatever you decide to do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Lee classic Turret simple and quick to set up I like the way it catches primers and the priming system works well for priming on the press quick to change from auto to manual index I like the way the rotation of the turret settles the powder in the measure for consistent charges even with powders like red dot. I have 2 single stage presses and a progressive that I use but the LCT is my favorite to load on.

Orange T-mag. Stays setup with 45acp and 38/357 dies. With powder through expanders machined to accept the two Lyman Accumeasures that stay mounted. Two Orange Crushers handle all my rifle chores.

My Lyman SparT 6 station Turret. Because it is the only one I have and it was Free. I only use it for Hand gun calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by loveruger View Post
    What's your favorite turret press an why.
    Hollywood Senior Turret press, cause I can reload pistol, rifle and shotgun on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Mine is the Lyman AA. It has the right number of holes in the turret, 4, there is nothing in the way of the shell holder or the dies and it is a very solid press.
    Maybe because it’s my only full sized turret press, but my AA was my choice when I bought it. Of course when I’m feeling nostalgic there’s still my original TruLine Jr press on the left front corner of the bench in its position of honor!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    My first love is varmint/predator hunting. As such I work most with small bullets expecting a lot of accuracy. A turret press concerns me because of the turret tipping during operations.

For these cartridges I use my single stage presses.

For my other loading I use turrets and my best one is the Lee Classic cast. My Spar T gives me easier access to a cartridge (my big ole farmer paws) but it adds more to runout that does the Lee.

Another of my reloading venues involves handgun loading. There the turret really shines. I will take a revolver casing and size it and bell it on one setting. Even though I run carbide dies I still lube my casings so I clean them after sizing/belling.

I also load with a Hornady LNL AP but in loading field loads for say a 44 Mag or 480 Ruger I still batch them because I am not loading a lot of rounds at a time. A turret press is hands down better for these small runs of specialized handgun rounds.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-08-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    There is but one turret press--- the Hollywood Universal!!!

All others are just wanna- bees!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have never quite understood the rapid die change many seem to consider important. It take me less than a minute and a half to swap out three dies. I have two truline jrs, a spar t, a CH three stage inline, the AA and several single stage and several progressive presses including three Lee Pro 1000s, a star, a Texan shotshell press and a Dillon 550b. Out of this bunch, my favorites to load on are the AA, the Dillon and a new to me Bonanza coax. I believe the coax is the fastest press to swap dies that has been made. It takes about 3 seconds to swap a die and you rarely have to swap the shell holder. Just leave your die rings locked in place and swap dies. With most turrets it's about the same time as swapping a turret. Lee being an exception. I prime on my presses and primer handling is more important to me than swapping dies. Primer handling is an issue with many presses and other than the Dillon I hand set primers so the primer punch location is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    There is but one turret press--- the Hollywood Universal!!!

All others are just wanna- bees!!!!
    *Was*

If they still made them, I'm sure there'd be a big market for it.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    *Was*

If they still made them, I'm sure there'd be a big market for it.
    I salute anyone that collects the Hollywood and Herters tools but I want to load with a tool that is current enough to be affordable and that stuff for it is also accessible.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have never quite understood the rapid die change many seem to consider important. .................
    .......... Out of this bunch, my favorites to load on are the AA, the Dillon and a new to me Bonanza coax. I believe the coax is the fastest press to swap dies that has been made. It takes about 3 seconds to swap a die and you rarely have to swap the shell holder...............
    While it takes a minute to screw a die out another back in it takes much more time to get it adjusted. You have a lock ring but never the less they seem to need more finessing than just dogging it down. With a turret press you just click it to the next desired die.

There is no doubt that the Forester Co Ax is a very good proposition and a scan of retailers web pages with the tag “out of stock” proves that a lot of handloaders are still buying them. Forester needs to run a night shift to keep up with demand!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I load 17 calibres with a Lee Classic cast turret press and I find it to be a great press for the money.
    Changing between calibres is so quick and easy.
    Once you have initially set up a particular set of dies into its dedicated turret, you are good to go at a moments notice.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master

I use the Lee four hole turret press. It loads great ammo. I have 6 turret heads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret here. Great little press. It's so cheap/fast/easy to switch calibers.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast