Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turrets

Boolit Buddy
    The Hollywood Senior Turret is made like a very large Swiss watch but suffers from poor priming system. The iron Universal isn't as good and suffers from the same priming problems. I still consider the T7 as the best current turret press but it's priming system can be troublesome but at least the turret seems to be the most stable of the modern presses.

Boolit Master
    I like all of the vintage manual Turrets. I have no experience with newer manual turrets, but if I were to buy one it would either be the new 8 holer Lyman or Redding T-7.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    I have two Lyman All Americans,a Lyman T-Mag II.and a RCBS turret press.They stay set up for specific calibers.The RCBS has a bit of flex in the turret.The Lyman T-Mag II does not.RCBS sent me a replacement washer for the turret.That helped but did not remove all of the flex.Adding thin shims will lock the turret up.The ammo it loads in fine so they may have built some flex into the turret.The Lyman is the better press.

Boolit Master
    I find the lock on die rings don't move at all and removing and replacing them once they have been locked doesn't require any adjusting except for the bullet seater when changing bullet profiles. The Lee O rings are a whole new problem that is easily fixed with any lock on ring. And NO wrenches on the lock nuts except the allen wrench to set them. Finger tight each time and it's like a micrometer. Threads being what they are, the die will go back where it was if tightened against a stop nut that hasn't moved. Whether or not the turret moves is another discussion.

Boolit Master

Any of these, because they are no longer made and are the Cadillacs of old-school reloading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	252678
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    The turret crew needs to think hard about the Dillon concept. The 550B & 650 have a head that swaps in seconds. If one sticks to the same case rims there's no need to change shellholder. I've had Lee turret, Lyman single stage turret, CH 3 & 4 stations, all ended trading material. I kept Dillon, MEC, Lyman Trueline (only cause the dies are cute), CH Champion, & recently got a RCBS on sale + rebate. I use the Lee Hand press more than all, because I can be comfortable in front of the TV, no matter what the weather. The RCBS is great for sizing, (I did check the headspace with a caliper for consistent shoulders) terrible priming, the CH is goto for all heavy work, Dillon for all pistol & straight wall cases. Problem is I'm outta bench space, swapping some equipment mounts.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the Lyman, Herters, and old Lee three hole.
    Use the Lee the most.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Any of these, because they are no longer made and are the Cadillacs of old-school reloading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	252678
    You make a good point , those are a class act !

Boolit Buddy
    You will notice the Super Turret takes four priming punch's.

If you do not know why, then you are a rank amateur at reloading!!!!

I’ve been running a pair of Lyman T2 turrets for years. Done some mods to them to speed things up, ramps that drop loads into case bins, case kickers, primer arm assists [I prime on the press] and they use Dillon 550 powder measures. They work great. The photo is old as it has a 450 measure but I now are using the 550. They make terrific .45 cas loads.
    Attachment 252990

Boolit Mold
    This works for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lct.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

Hey OK ! I have an old pair of Spar T Lymans that I still use for small batches of ammo. I like the big Lyman T Mag you have! Do they still make that press? The LED light is a good idea! Want to attach a light on my Dillons so I can better see what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Hey OK ! I have an old pair of Spar T Lymans that I still use for small batches of ammo. I like the big Lyman T Mag you have! Do they still make that press? The LED light is a good idea! Want to attach a light on my Dillons so I can better see what is happening.
    Unfortunately their not still in production...but now that people are getting so hot'sy for them 8 holers I would imagine you can pick up a good used one for a reasonable price.
    Those LED lights come in an awesome array of sizes and designs...I'll bet there's someone out there that has it figured (turret lighting) out better than I have done.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    You will notice the Super Turret takes four priming punch's.

If you do not know why, then you are a rank amateur at reloading!!!!
    Ok being a rank amateur school me. Because honestly I don't know why.

Banned
    I would have to second that. I absolutely love my Lyman T- mag press. It is my go to press for all my rifle loading that is larger rifle loading I still like to load 223 on the 650 once I have sized them on the Lyman T-Mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Don View Post
    This works for me.
    Me to Mr. Don , For my use , the best light to medium duty press any one makes for my use.
    But some of these old giant turrets are amazing to look at they make our little LCT presses look like toys.

Boolit Master
    The Hollywood presses are grand pieces of tooling, no doubt about it.

For me however I have to see parts and pieces for something I am going to rely upon to be available in real time. In America we have liberty, those that wish to pursue Hollywood presses and such are free to do so and I am free to cheer folks that are successful in that endeavor. I can drool from the sidelines at some of the finest reloading equipment ever built from afar.

In the meantime I have access to any and all current and near current tooling I might want to pursue to further my own handloading experiences.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    Almost 40 posts and I am only the second to bring up the Redding T-7?!

USMC 77, USRA 79

i also vote for the Lee classic turret... It aint no Hollywood, but I aint no Movie Star!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    The four primer posts were required for the four different types of primers.
    Years ago primer makers made a flat faced primer and a round face primer,
    in both large and small sizes. This required a primer punch that had a
    rounded face to support the primer during seating. So the Hollywood Turret press
    had a turret for just the primer seating posts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast