Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp cast loads

Boolit Master

45 acp cast loads

Just tried out some cast loads in my Springfield 45 acp. For now the best shooting which surprised me was lee’s black powder conical pistole bullet 90382. It’s a 450 200 gr 1R meant for a six shot black powder revolver. The base of the bullet measures.450 the middle band is .454 and the top is .457 I sized it to .452. I used this bullet with a load of bullseye from 4 gr to 4.4 .if I remember I used pure lead or close to it .I only shot 10 and 15 yards but this 200 gr bullet shot really good. It sucks it’s a single cavity mold. The lee 230 gr rn also shot really good 90351 .just wanted every body to know how good this bullet is . It’s not made for the 45 acp but for 44 black powder pistols like the 1851 navy and the 1858 Remington. I lubed it with white label lube 45/45-10 Xlox. I was going to sell this mold but now found a use for it. Next Iam going to try another odd ball mold . It’s a brand new never used Lyman 454190 made for the 45 colt. A co worker gave me this mold that his father bought new 50 to 60 years ago and never used. Found out it’s the classic bullet for the 45 colt. people use it for 45 acp for bowling pin matches but Iam going to load light just for paper to see how it does. Can’t beat a free mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 200 gr SWC over 6 gr promo/red dot. Excellent function with a mid range load for practice. Accurate out to at least 15 yards.

Boolit Master
    I shot that bullet also today. Had problems of the slide not going all the way in to battery. I thought I sized all of them before I lubed them at .452 Going to have to get the lee factory crimp die or take them appart and re size them. Probably get the fcd and retry that bullet. Also bought some hard cast that I also shot and used today so got to See later which bullet it was. My hands got so cold shooting had to stop and go home.

Moderator Emeritus

I am always surprised people shoot jacketed in the 45acp.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Other than some factory JHPs through my LW Commander 'carry', I can't recall shooting jacketed in any of my 1911s since leaving the military; H&G 68s for my bullseye guns and 225 gr. TCs for 'major' in my IPSC 'stock class'...do have a couple of boxes of '60s-vintage 'M1911 Match', gifted to me by a retiring Nat'l Guard armorer, sitting on the shelf, though.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Going to have to get the lee factory crimp die or take them appart and re size them.
    Find out what the problem is and fix it. Don't hide the problem with post crimping sizing...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    Lee 200 gr SWC over 6 gr promo/red dot. Excellent function with a mid range load for practice. Accurate out to at least 15 yards.
    6 grains of Red Dot seems a bit hot. I'm running 3.8 gr under a 200 gr SWC. It functions every .45 ACP I've tried it in and it's a nice target load.

Right now I'm loading a lot of Clays. 3.7 gr Clays is running 100% and very accurate.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I did find the problem. All the lee mold bullets I sized fit and shoot fine. The berrys plated and the hard cast sized .452 from some hard cast company wont chamber in my differnt range pick up brass to big. When I got them I ran a few through my sizer no tight ones. So I loaded around 200 up. Now I have a few that won’t chamber to tight. So I can pull the bullets on the tight ones bullet puller broke, or order a fcd. I could also order a .451 sizer also and pull them then resize. New bullet puller is 20$+ or get fcd is 18$ . I had a few over size in the fmj I loaded. It was only three in about 400. Don’t know brand but all the ones I checked with my caliper where right on .452. The 3 over sized where .4535 . The factory crimp die will work with the few I have that are tight . Will have to sort cases if I use berrys plated again or run all through a sizer first.

im fond of the 452374 sized .451 or the NOE 453-220-HP sized .451 over 5.3gr green dot havent had issues in RIA, high point, para ordinance, or even taurus. HOWEVER the lee 452-228-1R even sized .451 wont go into battery in any but the high point without encouraging the slide to fully close.

Banned
    Don't have the mold but is lee 90382. It’s a 450 does it drop .452?

Boolit Master
    It’s a 90382 or a 90384. The 90382 on lee’s site said it’s a 200 gr and the 90384 is a 230 gr. If I remember correct the 382 is .450 and the 384 on lee’s site is .456 My bullet that i waighed is a 200 gr and tapers From back to front .450 at rear and .454 in the middle and .457 at the front. It’s a old single cavity with numbers that don’t match current lee’s numbers but it does say lee on it
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 12-08-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Little wolf Wow I just ordered the lee .452 sizer and have been using it. Just started loading for the 45 so I guess I will find out if I need a .451 sizer. Hope not well it’s only another 26$ For die and shipping

Boolit Buddy
    I would not recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die or any roll crimp for the .45 ACP. You want a taper crimp for that round.

On another note, 6 grains of Red Dot in the .45 ACP is NOT a midrange load! With Bullseye, Red Dot, 700X 3.8 to 4.5 grains is a midrange load. Actually I would prefer not to be close to someone firing a load of 6 grains of Red Dot.

Boolit Master

Lyman 225 gr don't remember the number of the mold but 4.8 gr of 231 win is what I have been using in my Ruger sr1911
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    6 grains of Red Dot seems a bit hot. I'm running 3.8 gr under a 200 gr SWC. It functions every .45 ACP I've tried it in and it's a nice target load.

Right now I'm loading a lot of Clays. 3.7 gr Clays is running 100% and very accurate.
    Agree....Lyman 4th lists Red Dot 5.5 gr. as MAX for any 200 gr. My standard for 200 gr. (452460 or 452630) paper punching is Promo 4.5 gr. @ 840 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

I I use 4 different 6 cavity lee moulds to cast bullets for use in my 45 ACPs and 45 Colts; 452-190-SWC, 452-230-TC, 452-200-SWC & 452-200-RF. All work very well in my 45 ACPs (M1911s, revolvers, Contender & Rhineland converted M98). I normally size them .452 for the ACPs but have to size .45a in a very tight "Match" chambered P14 which also doesn't feed the RF bullet well. I have the 456-220-1R in 2 cavity but have not tried in in the 45 ACP. It did ok in the 45 Webley I helped a guy load for though.

Suggestion for future posts; use the mould name instead of the product number. Not criticism, just that most of us can easily visualize the bullet by the name but few of us memorize or bother to look up mould product numbers. Few mould makers use product numbers, Lee being the obvious exception. I don't have a clue as to the product numbers of the Lee moulds I mentioned and wouldn't recognize any of those moulds that way. However, list the mould names and I'm spot on.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

The numbers for the Lee handgun molds & which type they are ( 2 cav,, 6 cav., etc. are below the image of each type of boolit.)

{Note - Lees rifle molds have a different page, but the same format: https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...-bullet-molds/

Black powder molds are here: https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...-powder-molds/ }

----------

BTW... - I posted last night about the Red Dot load data that was posted then, being about 6 grains with a 200 gr. boolit & I thought it was too much & went & checked. I posted the post with the data & then decided that perhaps I was being a bit to "forward" in doing so, thus I deleted that post. But I saved it & will repost it now, as it will offer a bit more info for those who wish to check out that load data.

Here is the post:

Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    While that load might be great for you, Alliant suggests you do not go over 4.5 Red Dot as a Max load with a 200 gr. SWC, currently at their website load data:

45 Auto 200 gr Speer LSWC Speer 1.19 5 CCI 300 Red Dot 4.5 831

Source: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...4&cartridge=35

Using the Castpics site for load data, all of the Alliant loads recommend the following:

AL Red Dot 45 ACP 185 185 JHP 5.9 940 1.27 19500 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 230 230 JHP 5 820 1.23 19500 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 200 200 JHP 5.2 890 1.17 19200 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 240 240 JHP 4.5 770 1.21 19200 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 155 155 Cast Lead 5.8 1155 1.27 18800 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 230 230 FMC 5 910 1.19 16200 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 180 180 LWC 4.8 900 1.19 14100 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 230 230 L (Target) 4 810 1.19 12800 Alliant
    AL Red Dot 45 ACP 200 200 LSW (Target) 4 805 Alliant

Note that all are below 6.0 grains MAX. or Red Dot.

{ The Bolded MAX. load data above is done by me for emphasis. I also bolded the 200 grain bullets/boolits as well for emphasis)}

Source: http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...okup-by-powder

I am not saying or implying anyone or anything is wrong. I am only pointing out that the data supplied earlier as per the quote above, is not within the load data parameters of the manufacturer, Alliant, in regard to Red Dot powder, in current load data supplied by that manufacturer. I am only mentioning the difference between what was posted & what is offered by the manufacturer to point out the difference for possible SAFETY reasons.

{ As an aside.... I do not use a 200 grain bullet/boolit in my 45 ACP, but I have used a 230 gr for some time now ( Lee 230- 2R & 230- TC) & Red Dot(Promo) is one of the powders I use. I use 4.7 gr of R.D.( Promo) "Weighed" & not measured by volume, with an OAL of 1.25" with a RN & 1.18" with a TC, (IIRC) as the best for "My handgun". I have routinely tested from 4.5 to 4.9 grains Red Dot(Promo) & had no over-pressure issues nor a chronograph reading that is higher than would be expected using those amounts. While this amount of Red Dot/Promo is more than the recommended load data for a 230 gr. projectile, lead or otherwise, I "worked up that load", for "that firearm", testing as I went to make sure of no signs of over pressure by both the signs of the case/primer after firing, the felt recoil & the chronograph data, that indicated that the velocity was not extreme for the loads in THAT firearm using those loads at that time. YMMV doing load workup starting low & working up is always the suggested & safest way to work up a load for each firearm.

While I know that there are experienced folks reading & posting in this topic, there is also the potential for those who are not experienced to read what is written & since none of us want anyone to have a bad situation happen to anyone, making sure that those who do read these posts are given the best info as possible is a prudent thing to do.
    I am reposting that post so that folks will know that it is likely that either it was a mistake in the amount of grains, or that the data was worked up by someone & it "worked for them", in "their" firearm & they were willing to take the risk of going over the recommended MAX. load of the powder manufacturer.

Being cautious in sharing load data is important & no one that I know of wants anyone to have a catastrophic disassembly of their firearm, not anyone injured or worse, due to passing on bad, or mistaken info. So, I recommend that folks take the time to research for themselves when offered data, just to confirm that the data offered is within reason for the caliber/platform that is being offered to be used in...

YMMV of course. I just repeat that being safe is best. Work up your loads carefully.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy

With a 180-185gr. RNFP I like 4.5gr. Of Clays. Soft, accurate and will cycle on standard recoil springs.

Boolit Master

I use a copy of the HG-68 made by Mihec. It produces excellent 200 grain SWC boolits under four grains of Promo. It is a nice shooting load and cycles every .45acp I have which is several.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I did find the problem. All the lee mold bullets I sized fit and shoot fine. The berrys plated and the hard cast sized .452 from some hard cast company wont chamber in my differnt range pick up brass to big. When I got them I ran a few through my sizer no tight ones. So I loaded around 200 up. Now I have a few that won’t chamber to tight. So I can pull the bullets on the tight ones bullet puller broke, or order a fcd. I could also order a .451 sizer also and pull them then resize. New bullet puller is 20$+ or get fcd is 18$ . I had a few over size in the fmj I loaded. It was only three in about 400. Don’t know brand but all the ones I checked with my caliper where right on .452. The 3 over sized where .4535 . The factory crimp die will work with the few I have that are tight . Will have to sort cases if I use berrys plated again or run all through a sizer first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I shot that bullet also today. Had problems of the slide not going all the way in to battery. I thought I sized all of them before I lubed them at .452 Going to have to get the lee factory crimp die or take them appart and re size them. Probably get the fcd and retry that bullet. Also bought some hard cast that I also shot and used today so got to See later which bullet it was. My hands got so cold shooting had to stop and go home.
    You probably have checked , but are you certain it's not the ogive of the bullet that is causing the problem to long OAL for that chamber or a short case that is not getting all the flair removed.
    The FCD will fix some issues but not an ogive OAL problem .
    I use the FCD on all my 45 acp I have no leading or other problems from it . If I did I would stop.
    Last edited by onelight; 12-09-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast