RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Graf 7X57 unprimed brass

Boolit Buddy

Graf 7X57 unprimed brass

Several years ago I purchased 100 rnds. of 7X57 unprimed brass from Graf & Sons along with several 100rnd. bags of other calibers of brass to use in my various old military rifles after I retired. Recently I opened the bag of 7X57 brass and it is really beautiful!

I decided to load a few rnds. into a stripper clip and check for function; I couldn't get the shells into the stripper clip! I had a few rnds of old Remington 7X57 in my junk box and tried them in the clips and they worked fine; what the heck? I grabbed my calipers and checked the actual diameter of the extractor groove and found the diameter on the Graf shells to be .418 in diameter, while the groove on the Remington shells is .406; twelve thoudandths difference!

I don't know why there is this difference? The Graf Arisaka 7.7mm is .406, the Graf 7.65 Argentine is .406, and the Graf 8mm Mauser is .406. I was confused, so I called Grafs and explained the situation and he promptly told me that since it had been over 90 days since I purchased the brass, there was nothing they could do. I think it was very polite of them to tell me in a nice way that I was screwed and they really didn't want to hear about it.

So I am suggesting to anyone reading this and who is thinking of buying Graf 7X57 unprimed brass that they contact Grafs and find out what the current extractor groove diameter is on there 7X57 unprimed brass; if its .418, you might want to buy another brand.........................

That's weird, will they fit your shellholder and function through your rifle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Another good reminder to check what you buy soon after you get it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried the shell holder that came with my die set and could not get them in the the shell holder. I have other shell holders for that head size and will try them. Since I can't load any rounds, I don't have anything to run thru my rifles;08' Brazilian and 1912 Steyr. Will try something else soon.................

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1946 View Post
    I just tried the shell holder that came with my die set and could not get them in the the shell holder. I have other shell holders for that head size and will try them. Since I can't load any rounds, I don't have anything to run thru my rifles;08' Brazilian and 1912 Steyr. Will try something else soon.................
    I "think" I have an old box of brass lying around. If you're not in a hurry, I can check them and send them to you.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so much for your offer! A good friend called last night and I'm going over and pick some brass up this afternoon; he said they are once-fired Remington. I guess I shouldn't complain too much; if I find a different shell holder, they will probably work. Only thing is, I have to do fast reloads for the "Vintage Military Rifle" matches and since they won't work thru a stripper clip, I may try to someway re-machine the oversize extractor groove so they can be used in my clips and fit my shell holder.

To say the least, I was somewhat surprised and dismayed at the attitude of the folks at Graf & Sons. They seem to be a very large outfit and seem to sell everything under the sun; the way they treated this customer will not soon be forgotten and it may be a cold day in the nether regions before this person ever buys anything again from Graf & Sons..........................

I once had some new Winchester brand 284 Win. Brass with the same problem. Mine would not fit in several she'll holders I have.
    I really had to twist there arm complaining before they would replace it at there expense.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    I am not kissing any part of their anatomy for them to do the right thing! I just hope that others will take time to investigate what exactly they are buying from Graf's before they drop a lot of their hard-earned dollars for a product that does not work. I think Graf & Son should have a greater respect for their customers than to dress them down with a 90-day complain or screw you attitude.................

Boolit Master
    I had to rush up to the reloading room to check on some bags of 7mm Mauser and 8mm Mauser brass in 50 round bags I bought at the Grafs store in Mexico, Missouri a few years ago to see if it was of the correct dimensions also. But lucky for me, I guess, these bags are of PPU make, and fit the shell holder correctly. Does anybody know who makes "Grafs" headstamped brass? Surly not Starline, which is also in Central Missouri.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a bunch of .308 brass at the range last year planning to resize it to .243 Win. and had the same problem,it wouldn't fit in the shell holder. Tried a second one that has been around since dirt was invented and the brass fit fine. Try other shell holders and see if you have one that fits. Had some Berdan primed .308 brass that wouldn't fit that shell holder also.
    Currently working on resizing some 30-06 down to 7x57 for a Spanish Mauser I just picked up. Dealing with some problems but that's another thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1946 View Post
    RCBS makes the #11 shell holder for 7x57 which I had to buy in 1980's to use DWM brass, my R-P or Win use the #3
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I had issues with 7mm brass , 6mm Remington , and 257 Roberts brass.
    One brand took one she'll holder , and the others took a different she'll holder.
    All cases are based on the 7x57 Mauser casing