Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: NRA CCW Instructor

Boolit Master

Question NRA CCW Instructor

Anybody taken this course? I may have a chance to take it but am nervous about rumors of Navy Seal level shooting qualifications. The NRA is keeping the course of fire secret for who knows what reason. I've had a New Mexico CCW for years, done most of the Marksmanship Qualification Program exercises (MQP.NRA.ORG), and have taught the NRA Basic Pistol classes. Many of my students (and I) are in the Medicare generation and are put off by some of the extreme CCW instructors out there. It would be a shame if the folks with limited mobility, reflexes, and strength are excluded from CCW since they are the very folks who need it most.
    Any info on the NRA CCW Instructor Course would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Anybody taken this course? I may have a chance to take it but am nervous about rumors of Navy Seal level shooting qualifications. The NRA is keeping the course of fire secret for who knows what reason. I've had a New Mexico CCW for years, done most of the Marksmanship Qualification Program exercises (MQP.NRA.ORG), and have taught the NRA Basic Pistol classes. Many of my students (and I) are in the Medicare generation and are put off by some of the extreme CCW instructors out there. It would be a shame if the folks with limited mobility, reflexes, and strength are excluded from CCW since they are the very folks who need it most.
    Thanks
    My Brother and I both took it out at the New Mexico place. It seems that to get NRA certified to run a range you have to take this also. Both my brother and I have run the range at our local scout camp. I will have to take it again in two years as they are only good for so long. When I took the course it was good for 6 years. Now I think it's only good for four years. The instructor we had was a tachtinerd so if you didn't think you should always wear black he wouldn't have anything to do with you. But then I could out shoot that Fud any day.

There is a lot of shooting but it isn't much harder that getting your CCL in Texas. Just shoot with both eyes open like I do. Good luck.

ACC

Banned

I took it about 10 years ago. When I took it if you already had a ccw permit from an nra course there was no shooting quals. You just had a few hours with an instructor then gave a class while he was there so he could correct or add anything you missed or got wrong. then you paid your 200 bucks (if I remember right) and you got your certificate. I got the range officer qualification too. That involved about the same. An certified instructor observed me running the range and signed my certificate. Renewal has allways been just sending in my money. Even let it laps for 2 years once and got it back just by sending them a check. They don't even ask if you actually give classes or not. I only gave 3 classes and they were within a month of me getting my qualification and haven't given a class since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

I took it about 5 years ago. Instructor was retired DNR officer and competition shooter, very thorough instructor. We shot a lot of ammo up. Qualification was a 10 shot, 6 inch group at 15 yards, we had to do it twice on a 9 inch paper plate with no center marked on it. You CAN do it.

Boolit Master

I was going to say most qualifications seem like they are for people who don't shoot. I you are purposeful you should have no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the OP is inquiring about the new NRA CCW course, not one of the older courses. I have not taken the course but intent to if I can find one that fits into my schedule.

Gus Youmans

Banned

didn't know there was a new course. Havent been told I need to requalify.

Boolit Grand Master

Paper plate with no center mark, that is an old cheat trick... It is actually easier to shoot a group on a blank paper. The qual here in Nebraska is not that tough and any decent shooter should cut the mustard with no problems.

Boolit Master

The CCW course is a new NRA instructor class. Rumors are that some on the committee thought they should have real stringent shooting quals. The NRA Basic Pistol Instructor required a qual of 16 of 20 shots in a 6" group from 45 ft with no time limits. It wasn't too difficult for me to get 19/20 on the first try. The MQP.NRA.ORG has exercises of 5 shots/10 sec from 30 ft into 12", again no problem for me. A CCW instructor practice sheet I've seen has from concealment 5 shots/ 8 sec into 12" IDPA center section at 10 yds BUT then says to practice from 15 yds. I can do the 10 yd drill if I use the method of using the support hand to lift the concealment garment but I find the NRA one hand body twisting method slow, clumsy, and awkward for my stiff old bones.

Boolit Master

Wow Qualify for a constitutional right. Glad I live in a Free State. Need to qualify to teach is one thing but to be able to carry is not one.

Sorry for the rant

Boolit Master

If you watched any of the DC clown show the last few weeks you'll have real doubts if the 'representatives' have ever read let alone follow the US Constitution. I see the head idiot is now saying she's not going to send the impeachment to the Senate unless they agree to her rules for a trial.

Boolit Master

I'd be surprised to see instructor quals set at a particularly stringent level, probably not much more than level to pass as a student.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."