Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vib Media

Vib Media

First off let me say that I use both ways of cleaning my brass. Vib and Wet. I have also heard arguments from both sides saying theirs is best. I do one way or the other depending on how I feel that day.

My question is:
    If you dry vib, do you add anything to the walnut shells?

BTW if you use walnut shells, go to your local pet store, not some big corporation box store. I have found that the smaller store 's walnut shells have a LOT LESS DUST!

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using a Midway brass cleaner in with my walnut media. Its a polish and leaves a coating on the brass to keep it from tarnishing.

Though I have been doing more wet tumbling because I like clean primer holes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I use both corn cob and walnut media. either or gets a capful of nufinish a capful of iosso brass polish and 2-3 ounces of mineral spirits added and a 10 min run in before adding brass. I prefer the corn cobs for the polish walnut for the added aggresiveness

Boolit Master

I use fine corn cob and Nu-Finish.
    NRA Benefactor.

Harbor Freight peddles walnut media, ~$20 for 25 lbs.(with 20% off coupon) I add NuFinish AFTER polishing, run for a couple of minutes then put away the polisher. Next time I polish the NuFinish has dried and doesn't clog up bottle neck cases. 204 Ruger and even slightly damp media is less than fun.

If I'm going to anneal after polishing I use plain walnut media, no additives, the NuFinish film left on the cases burns when annealing and makes ugly necks.

Don't like ugly necks.

Tried wet tumbling, would rather dry tumble with the tumble on a timer when I'm not in the shop. When I walk back in, the brass is ready to load right out of the tumbler. I don't have to worry about did I get the cases completely dry or not.

I mostly wet tumble now, but when dry tumbling really like Nu-Finish and either corn cob or walnut with cut up drier sheets. I also put a full drier sheet in the media separator to help remove the dust from the cases as the media is separated out.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Grand Master

I do about the same thing as Country Gent. I use mostly NuFinish but about any liquid polish will work. I've used the stuff from Dillon, Lyman, Frankfort Arsenal, and several different brands of automotive polish. I've gotten where I use whatever is available in the largest quantity cheapest at Walmart.

I use mostly ground corncob media. I bought a 40# sack a few years ago and due to fumble fingering the keyboard I ended up with 2 sacks! If the brass is real dirty it goes into the wet tumbler, if not it goes into the Dillon with corncob.

Boolit Grand Master

There are dozens of "formula" out there for tumbling/cleaning brass (tumbling brass is probably the most talked about, but least important part of reloading). After years of experimenting with a bunch of things used for tumbling media (from beach sand to glass beads, rice, wood chunks cat litter, gravel pet litters, and several more). I have determined the best overall dry media is corn cob blast media. Blast media is much better quality controlled than litter and does not get as dusty. Corn cob blast media, 14-20, plus a bit of auto polish/wax works quite well for me. Auto polish for a thin wax film to retard tarnish. If I want shiny brass I just leave the brass in the tumbler for a bit longer. I tried wet tumbling but didn't care for it.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use corncob media, but on another board I visit, some guys recommend rice (not the long grain though or minute rice) with a bit of corncob added(25%). Bought some rice, gonna try that. Afterwards, sometimes I will wet tumble in the dawn/lemishine/auto wash for a bit to really shine them and add the film of wax from the auto wash, to help keep them shiny before I load them.
    I saw wally world had some ground corncob in the pet section. Seems finer than the stuff I ordered from midway, might have to try some. $6 for 9 lbs

Boolit Grand Master

I have tried rice straight and its a more matte subdued finish then walnut or corn cobs are. Mixed with corn cobs it might five the high polish quicker. With most grains moisture will cause them to swell and soften some. It may be a way to speed up really dirty brass cleaning. Another problem I had with the rice was plugging flash holes and packing in bottle neck cases.

At work we had big tumblers and vibrators for deburring and polishing. The tumblers were similar to a cement mixer. These ran corncobs with a dry clover lapping compound added, they were great at removing burrs and sharp edges and giving a pleasing to the eye polish. They removed oils burrs sharp edges and small scratches fairly quickly. The vibrators were used to remove oils and lightly polish. Mostly walnut with a build up of the polishing oil in them.

I have used red rouge powder added to corn cobs for a brighter polish. A friend tried auto rubbing compound. I have wondered about toothpaste layely