Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biscuits and gravy

Boolit Buddy

As to the gravy and biscuit topic: sawmill gravy with some ground deer sausage and a can of drained rotel tomatoes.

Put it on biscuit, toast, English muffins and top it with a sunny side up egg and you’re set.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

We have 4 guests over for the holidays. This morning I made biscuits from scratch and a batch of sausage gravy with sauteed red onions. Presentation was gravy over split biscuit with two poached eggs on tops and fried potatoes and onions.

It was hard, but I cannot partake until A1C goes under 6. You have no idea of how tormented I still am.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Reading this thread I decided to skip the typical pancakes we have for breakfast on Christmas morning and make some B&G. The problem I'm facing is there will be my wife and I, along with 4 of my adult children with their spouses and a herd of grand kids running around the house. I got to wondering how I was going to make it all come together when I found a recipe for biscuits to make ahead and freeze. Before you purists beat me to within an inch of my life, hear me out. Yesterday I made a bunch of said biscuits. The recipe was nothing special... flour, salt, baking powder, Crisco and buttermilk. I've been experimenting with biscuits for a while now and have found the "all purpose" flour available in my area makes tough biscuits. Reading on the net it seems that "self raising" flour is made from a softer wheat that makes better biscuits. So I skipped the salt and baking powder the recipe called for and used self rising in place of the all purpose flour.
    I used
    3 cups self rising flour
    1 T sugar
    2/3 cup Crisco
    cut in the Crisco with a pastry blender till it looks like course meal
    1 cup buttermilk
    mix till the dough pulls from the side of a bowl.
    Knead a few times and pat into about a 3/4" thick 8"ish square. Cut with a knife into 16 2" squares. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze 4 hours. Place the frozen biscuits in a zip lock bag and freeze till needed.

I made several batches and froze them yesterday. Today I pulled a couple out and baked them for about 13 minutes @425*. They were not as good as the biscuits my mom used to make, but perfectly edible. In 15 minutes I can now bake enough biscuits for 15 people, and the mess is all cleaned up without the help of my 3 year old grandson. Do I dare try to make the gravy ahead of time?
    In Tennessee, White Lily flour is deemed the only acceptable choice for biscuits.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    In Tennessee, White Lily flour is deemed the only acceptable choice for biscuits.
    Wayne
    In West Virginia the Food Lion store brand of self-rising flour is deemed acceptable, but for transplanted Yankees they also carry King Arthur, Washington, Pillsbury and Gold Medal.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Martha White, it's got hot rize! Don't you know? "Goodness gracious, it's pea-pickin' good!"
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 12-29-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Made homemade biscuits and gravy for Super Bowl. Almost got ran over when the biscuits came out of the oven! Lol

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast last Saturday on a scout campout. homemade cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs too. all in dutch ovens.

good stick to your ribs fare for a cold winter campout in the hills of the finger lakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast last Saturday on a scout campout. homemade cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs too. all in dutch ovens.

good stick to your ribs fare for a cold winter campout in the hills of the finger lakes.
    Fatnhappy;
    Your post reminded me of MANY winter campouts where I did a lot of interesting cooks. Biscuits, cheesecake, Pie Iron Cherry Pie over a campfire, etc. Good times, indeed!

Dale53

Banned

I know its probably the firing squad for me but I do biscuits and gravy probably once a week and making biscuits is a lot of work. So I make home made sausage gravy but use the Pillsbury flakey biscuits in a tube. Takes about 15 minutes to cook them while the gravy which I make in bulk and freeze is thawing in the microwave. If I felt the need to make homemade biscuits and gravy fresh every time it would go from once a week to probably twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I know its probably the firing squad for me but I do biscuits and gravy probably once a week and making biscuits is a lot of work. So I make home made sausage gravy but use the Pillsbury flakey biscuits in a tube. Takes about 15 minutes to cook them while the gravy which I make in bulk and freeze is thawing in the microwave. If I felt the need to make homemade biscuits and gravy fresh every time it would go from once a week to probably twice a year.
    Jerry Clower would not approve!

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd;
    That sounds perfectly practical to me. A lifetime ago, i’m talking 70 years ago, we had a school field trip to the local Pillsbury Plant. It was quite illuminating. They explained that each batch of flour was different. They would lab test each batch, then make adjustments that met their standards ( something we can’t do in our kitchens).

Now, recognizing that we are many years “down the pike” since then, i suspect that your Pillsbury biscuits are more than suitable. My wife is an excellent formally trained cook and often takes advantage of available “shortcuts” including biscuits in a tube. We eat “quite well, too!

Dale53

I found some Pillsbury frozen Grands biscuits the other day. Just pop them in the oven while making the gravy. Beats having to go out or make from scratch on a busy day.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

I use the frozen Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits. Pain in the butt to make biscuits for one person! I end up with to many an they do not freeze well... When cooked they don't rise right...

Boolit Master
    I am not overly picky, but my wife( chief executive in charge of the kitchen, and head biscuiteer) would call a firing squad if anyone brought a roll of “fake biscuits into the house! Everyone knows I married her for the biscuits
    I have found that if I return the empty ziplock to the fridge, with a few crumbs left for seed, they will repopulate very shortly. Kinda like magical and all! I love my wifey!!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Fatnhappy;
    Your post reminded me of MANY winter campouts where I did a lot of interesting cooks. Biscuits, cheesecake, Pie Iron Cherry Pie over a campfire, etc. Good times, indeed!

Dale53
    Dale,
    I many homemade French onion soup for lunch (5 lbs of onions no less). I used of all things, English muffins for the croutons. I toasted them ahead of time so I only needed to get them hot. Gruyere cheese on the muffins rounded it out. We had ruebens on pumpernickel to go with the soup.
    I made a whole turkey, with stuffing, mashed taters, and broccoli au gratin for dinner. we had an apple cobbler for dessert, with French vanilla ice cream.

best way to keep a scout leader happy is to keep him/her fed.

We eat well in our troop

as I type this I'm eating biscuits and gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Ate many a supper of squirrel , slow simmered in a brown gravy , spooned over split open biscuits .
    My brother liked to suck the brains out of the squirrel heads... I didn't fight him for that !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

ma made biscuits from scratch and my wife has on occasion too. Tell you the truth I like the Pillsbury grand flaky biscuits better then ANY biscuit I ever ate. Not to crazy about the grands southern style but I love those flaky ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I found some Pillsbury frozen Grands biscuits the other day. Just pop them in the oven while making the gravy. Beats having to go out or make from scratch on a busy day.

Banned
    Never had biscuits and gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Never had biscuits and gravy.
    Better put it on your bucket list.

BB

Home made scratch biscuits are the winners!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast