Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biscuits and gravy

Moderator Emeritus

My wife can't stand milk gravy so we never had sausage gravy when the kids were growing up. I remember us all going out for breakfast when they were 10 and 11 and both kids ordered biscuits and gravy to my wife's chagrin. I laughed as they explained how they has eaten it at friends houses and both loved it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Yup!! Breakfast this morning at our favorite 'country' restaurant wrecked my cholesterol count for the week...medium order of biscuits and gravy, side of hash browns, two strips of thick-slice bacon. Probably won't do it again 'til sometime next year but it was worth it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    A favorite of ours, Biscuits & Sausage Gravy or S.O.S. gravy, once a week for many years.

Mostly by scratch, but on occasion 12- 16 biscuits from a couple of cans works, if in a hurry.

Mouth is watering as I type.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Last night I made the off shoot of sausage gravy. Dried beef gravy for supper. I put it over toast. That was supper here.
    Dried beef gravy on toast or biscuits = S.O.S.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

yup right up there with the cave man that discovered cooking food on a fire. Or the discovery of penicillin. If I was on death row and had a last meal it would be venison cube steak chicken fried in butter and slicked potatoes fried till they have crisp brown edges with lots of onion using butter and just put my steak on top of the spuds and ladle sausage gravy over all of it. Meal fit for a king!

Banned

I actually prefer dried beef. that's the way I originally ate it in the service. But I make my own sausage and its a heck of a lot cheaper. I make a batch using 3lbs of sausage and freeze it in small glad containers so its ready to go all the time. 3 lbs of dry beef would be awful expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Dried beef gravy on toast or biscuits = S.O.S.

Boolit Master
    Everyone is up early cuz the men folk are out feeding the critters on the farm. Grandma put a pan of biscuits in the oven and it's 30 minutes before they're done. She gets some eggs started after cooking some bacon and sausage. There's about 10 minutes to go on the biscuits and everything else is ready. She can let the skillet soak or try something different. She hates wasting the flour she used to knead and roll biscuits cuz times are tough. She dumps the leftover flour in the pan drippings and adds another tablespoon of home churned butter for flavor. When the flour gets brown as a biscuit and bubbling nice, she pours some fresh milk slowly while she stirs. She already skimmed the cream from the top of the milk for making butter. While the gravy comes back to a simmer the biscuits in the oven are done and she pulls them out and puts them in the biscuit basket with the kitchen towel wrapped around them. There's always an extra biscuit or 2 to sample the gravy for seasoning. And amazingly, Grandma has done it right again.

Boolit Grand Master

Biscuits and Gravy with Bacon on the side has been our regular Sunday morning breakfast for years. Sometimes when the kids were young they would ask for Chocolate gravy.

Boolit Mold
    I love some biscuits and gravy...especially loaded down with extra black pepper. I, as someone who tends to dislike overly creamy things, took way to long to try it. Missed out on at least 30 years worth of deliciousness.

Biscuits and gravy remind me of Christmas. After we first got married we would go up for Christmas to Stonewall, Oklahoma and visit her grandmother. I was always 2nd to get up, 1st was her grandmother. She would have coffee ready and would be making the best cathead biscuits and sausage gravy you could ever dream of. Thanks for the memory.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master

I also use some sage seasoning in my sausage gravey. Same with hamburger and dried beef.

I can remember Mom joking breakfast for the 5 of us came in premeasured packages. a dozen eggs, pound of bacon, loaf of bread. LOL.

Bisquits and sausage gravy any time of day or night

Boolit Grand Master
    I use lots of black pepper and some hot pepper powder too. Crumble up some sausage to put in the gravy while it simmers. Good stuff. While traveling, I seldom find sausage gravy thats as good as mine!! Some is pretty good, but thats rare. Seems like many places don't brown the roux

Boolit Buddy

I do the cooking in Deer camp. Every breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, homefries with onion and biscuits n sausage gravy. I make the sausage gravy before hand. Fry up 2 pounds of sausage in a chili pot then make the gravy after the sausage is fried in the same pot. usually makes a gallon of gravy.

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

Boolit Master
    Leave the sausage out of mine but I’ll take crisp bacon on the side or for a real treat fried dove breast.

Boolit Master

Hate canned biscuits, nasty after taste.

The frozen ones aren't too bad. But they have to sit out overnight to rise. Takes some planning.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Y'all are killin' me! I love that stuff but don't know how to make it, wife doesn't either. We're not everyday cooks, just now and then.

And the S.O.S. - my mom used to make that, but she used tuna fish instead of beef, and it was mighty dang good on toast! Ate a ton of it. I wish I knew how to make that too. But I'm already fat enough.....

Boolit Master
    Fry up some hash browns till they are crispy and cover the bottom of the plate. Slice a biscuit and place the 2 halves on the hash browns. Add a piece of fried ham on top of the biscuits. Cover it all with gravy that was made with chunks of sausage AND bacon. Finish it with 2 fried eggs over easy. Pepper it heavy.
    East Tennessee

Love biscuits and gravy. It's not on my diet so I don't tell the wife nor do I write it down on the food I eat each day. If it kills me I'll die happy.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    I truly enjoy biscuits and gravy for break, lunch or supper any time its great.
    I like to put the biscuits on the bottom, hash brown on the biscuit, scrambled eggs on the hash browns and gravy over the top of it all. I am truly disappointed in that restaurants, biscuits and gravy is not fit for eating around here.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast