RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biscuits and gravy

Boolit Master
    Working out of town for about a week the motel had biscuits and gravy,scambled eggs,bacon it was great.

Boolit Master
    Don't get it often but sure enjoy B&G, DIL made it sometimes for a Saturday or Sunday brunch. Don't live close anymore so have to make do with the local waffle house. Also really miss good SOS. When I was in the Army we would have an alert exercise about once a month and when it terminated would go to the mess hall. The surcharge was about a dollar. Would have SOS with two sunny side eggs on top, hash browns, a slice of french toast with syrup, glass of juice, glass of milk and a LOT of coffee. Haven't had good SOS since I retired. Sadly I'm at an age where I'm not supposed to eat any of that stuff anymore (cholesterol and blood sugar).

Your biscuit problem is solved folks ..I lead our church men's Saturday monthly prayer breakfast ..and to ease the cooking for 50 / 60 people ..we found at Sam's Club.. Pillsbury Southern Biscuits in 24 pack clear wrapped trays that are just heat n serve ..and are AWESOME AWESOME ..melt in your mouth buttery ..They are kept in frozen storage until placed out for sale ..we buy a tray of 24 for our house (our own pocket of course) when we pickup men's breakfast food .....put 4 to a zip lock and throw'em in the freezer ..then heat'em n eat'em when needed

Bear

Boolit Master

My brother could burn water, but he makes phenomenal biscuits and gravy using elk sausage.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

easy to make. a lb of sauage and fry it in a bit of oil till it starts to brown pretty well (tastes much better when your brown the sausage) Then add about a 1/8 of a cup of flour to the sausage (before you add milk) and stir it in. the sausage will kind of absorb it and that's is what keeps it from being lumpy. They add milk and stir. I cook it for about 15 minutes adding milk as I go so it doesn't get to thick or thin. Add some black pepper and enjoy. Like I said before I usually do it in 2-4lb batches and freeze it in glad containers with enough in it for my wife and I for a breakfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Y'all are killin' me! I love that stuff but don't know how to make it, wife doesn't either. We're not everyday cooks, just now and then.

And the S.O.S. - my mom used to make that, but she used tuna fish instead of beef, and it was mighty dang good on toast! Ate a ton of it. I wish I knew how to make that too. But I'm already fat enough.....

Boolit Master

On the first Sunday of every month the men's group of my church gets together for breakfast. We have country cured ham, tenderloin, homemade country sausage, red eye gravy, sausage gravy, eggs, and biscuits. Just to be safe there is usually a cardiologist in our group. Good eating.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    It may have been a chuck wagon cook that came up with it and not a house wife. Its the simple kind of thing that they would make.
    jim

Boolit Grand Master
    I was never into B&G.
    Probably never had good one's.
    Same with SOS.

Boolit Grand Master

I was at deer camp until yesterday afternoon and wasn't home on Sunday morning which is our regular Biscuits and Gravy day. The Wife just surprised me with a plate of guess what? Biscuits and Gravy!

Boolit Grand Master

Cornbread, Meat loaf, Biscuts and Gravy and CRACKLINS...I would make a pretty poor rich man.

Banned

had chicken fried venison cube steak on top of fried spuds and onions with sausage gray on to last night for supper. Doesn't get any better.

Boolit Master
    I was waiting for a fellow Southron to pipe up - Best > Eunice's Cafe in Huntsville, Alabama (Eunice's no longer exists save in my memory) - Cat Head Biscuits and red-eye gravy - oh Lord!

Boolit Master
    I am a lucky man in that my wife will even whip it up for dinner about once a month or so. We split the cooking duties usually but she makes me fix the biscuits. We usually make up about 30lbs of breakfast sausage a year out of venison and pork. Have to make a batch this week out of her buck. I got lucky and got 4 10lb pork butts helping with the meats judging contest for the 4H and FFA kids last month so it'll be 50/50 pork and whitetail. I know guys that don't believe that's really game meat at that point (and I agree) but dang is it tasty.
    If you're ever in Bozeman, Mt make sure you go to Mainstreet Overeasy and get the Bobcat benedict. Sausage gravy over biscuits and a chicken fried steak with homemade local potato hashbrowns on the side. The best light, fluffy, sweet, buttery biscuits you'll ever have! And the chicken fried and sausage is all made right there too.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master
    That Bobcat Benedict sounds right up my alley!!!

Boolit Bub
    Not exactly what people now days consider a healthy meal! I myself have been eating biscuits and gravy my whole life. I don't ever plan on taking it out of the Menu. I'm thinking that what's for supper tonight. Thanks Guys!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    That Bobcat Benedict sounds right up my alley!!!
    Cat, the other white meat!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    My butcher who does my deer says I should call off my truce with mountain lions and bring him one. He says the big kitties make the best breakfast sausage (and pepperoni) ever. In case you might be wondering, the truce is because they eat the local coyotes in our neighborhood. We appreciate that but in case one shows up on our backyard trail cams more than once and doesn't look like it knows the rules here, the truce will be over temporarily.

Banned

yup id rather eat biscuts and gravy and have to take a 2 mile walk afterward then eat tofu and plunk down in the recliner. Eating is one of the greatest pleasures in being human. I will always eat what tastes good before eating what is good for you. Id rather live 75 year eating what I enjoy then live 85 years being a vegan!
    Quote Originally Posted by wnc435 View Post
    Not exactly what people now days consider a healthy meal! I myself have been eating biscuits and gravy my whole life. I don't ever plan on taking it out of the Menu. I'm thinking that what's for supper tonight. Thanks Guys!

Boolit Grand Master

I spent several years on our family farm when in grade school. I was born and raised in SW Ohio. However, both sides of my family came from the hills of Kentucky. My Grandmother and Mother both used Bisquick for biscuits. Our sausage came from our own processed hogs. Biscuits and gravy were regulars at our table! Further, real corn bread (no sugar, for goodness sakes).

My wife was teaching Home Economics at the College Level when I met her. She was a formally trained cook and then as now, a REALLY excellent cook! However, she was raised in Northern Ohio where they put sugar in corn bread After I proposed to her, I told her that I couldn't marry a woman who couldn't make REAL cornbread. She was NOT offended, but spent several sessions alongside my mother learning to bake real cornbread. My mother did not measure anything. It was just a pinch of this and a dab of that. My sweet wife, would actually measure my mother's "pinch" until she got it exactly right. The upside is my wife's cornbread was and is more consistent than my beloved mother's.

Biscuits and gravy, and/or cornbread broken up and covered with my wife's "Senate Bean Stew" are "to die for", and that is a FACT!

NOTE: These days we use Jimmy Dean's sausage, too!

I have been blessed.
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 12-17-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Holy cow, I gained four lbs reading this thread. Biscuits and gravy of any flavor rank near the top of my favorites.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast