Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had my back surgery yesterday morning

Moderator Emeritus

Had my back surgery yesterday morning

Thanks to boerancher and others that had posted about their experiences with their surgeries. I had l4/l5 done. Got the fusion, plates, and screws. Lot of drama before operation due to high blood pressure. I remember the nurse telling me she was gonna give me something to sleep at 7:20 am. Woke up in recovery there hours later. My doc was supposed to check on me as I had requested that I not have to stay overnight which had never been done there. My son is an EMT who is staying with me till Sunday, then girlfriend's turn. My daughter is a PA so lots of medical support. He said he would see how I was doing. I have about a dozen or so messed up discs and the only one they could operate on was the L4/L5 to help with leg problems.

They kept pushing pain pills in recovery which I declined. They still didn't have a bed for me so recovery took me to Xray. Gave me a walker and did good. Saw a bathroom across the hall and said I have to go. She said no not without supervision, etc. I said just wait outside I will be fine. Opened the door as I was throwing out paper towel from washing hands. I then climbed back into bed and said let's go. She said in her three and a half years there she never let anyone do that.

Around 3:00 I got a room so off we went upstairs. In new room they again pushed pain pills and I declined. My neck and head actually hurt more. Then they brought in this lil drill instructor who was going to take me for my walk to see if I could go home. She kicked my butt. I kept her pace and even joked with her. When I got back to bed I just climbed in and said now what. I heard her saying to other nurses that I really could walk, etc and she couldn't believe it.

Doc finally showed up around 5:00 and said I was being released. Told me it was worse than he thought when he opened me up. Bone on bone and lots of movement and severe narrowing. Said I should have lots of room now and said everything went well and looks good.

I was the first patient there that was ever released on same day as surgery. I was a bit sore from the forced march but dressed myself and waited for the wheelchair. My son met me and loaded me into my truck. Word of advice. Be driven home after low back surgery in something with a bench seat. That 40 minute ride killed me. Also use a ski pole with rubber bottom for asistance . So far only two pain pills and two muscle relaxants last night to sleep. Not much pain laying down but getting up and walking was tough. This morning I felt the muscles loosen a bit so I walked to kitchen from bedroom and such without overdoing it. Guess having a bad back for 25 years toughened me up some. Plus being a thick headed Polack didn't hurt . I was so much more comfortable being home recovering than in the hospital. I got more sleep and honestly couldn't imagine coming home today. It never hurts to ask but do your homework first so they know you covered all the angles. I am glad others posted about their experiences as it made mine easier. I also ordered a 32" extendable picker upper thing. Your gonna need it.

Glad it went well.

Sounds like you'll be 'healed & haired' in no time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Vendor Sponsor

Welcome back! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Good luck to you! I’ve had to and it kept me, with lots of rehab and medication, At a level of pain that I have been able to tolerat for many years.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Wishing you a speedy recovery! You be shooting that new GP in no time!

Boolit Master

MrWolf, from one mountaineer to another, glad to hear the surgery went well.

Did you go to Morgantown?

I had a knee replaced there, and the doctors and nurses treated me like a king.

"Mountana Semper Liberi"
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Hickok - Winchester at Valley Health. I had Dr Selznik from Virginia Brain and Spine do the surgery. I was impressed with him 2 1/2 years ago when he said he couldn't do anything for me as everything was to far gone. That single disc went to garbage in that period of time. I hope it let's me sit long enough to drive and see my kids more regularly

Silvercreek Farmer - The replacement Super GP100 is still not in. Was there on Thursday and a dang HiPoint 1095 in 10mm followed me home along with two AR10 lowers.

Thanks folks for the well wishes. I am a bit sore now but really think the operation will make a difference.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I'm putting that surgery off as long as I can.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Congrats! on what sounds (reads) like a successful operation.

Hope your recovery is great & you are able to do more than before!

& a Merry Christmas as well!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

It was/is soooo wonderful to read about your surgery -- mostly its success. My younger son (38) is having his back operated on (Strong Memorial, Rochester, NY) on 18 December -- and, we are praying he also has success. His X-rays show the bottom section of his spine looking like a sea-horse! I got a chuckle re your writing, "being a thick headed Polack didn't hurt " -- Justin's wife is 100% Polish, and my side of parenting is 100% Czech -- so I'm praying, too, for the ancestry/geographic edge !
    Again, so happy you are doing well!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Mr. Wolf. Glad to hear you did so well with the surgery. Wishes for a speedy recovery and a lot of improvements. WIll Pm my phone number to you f you get bored give me a call.

Boolit Master

Been there...done that (double laminectomy of L4/L5 w/o fusion)...and was back on my feet, walking a mile a day without my cane, within 90 days after the surgery. 2 1/2 years later, still won't be running any track meets, but 100% mobile without any meds. Only advice I'll offer: (1) DON'T try to 'push' your recovery...got a good buddy (Type A personality/former marathon runner) who thought he 'knew better' and was back in an operating room within six months. (2) Your physical therapist is now your personal guru; work with him/her and don't ever think of fudging on your daily exercise routines...yeah, they're probably gonna hurt at first but you've got some rebuilding to do. That said, wish you best and, if you feel a need, PM me and we can chat some.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Glad things went well. Hope you continue to heal.

Boolit Master

Mr. Wolf, From where I live in WV, it is 100miles from Winchester, and I see you are in NE West Virginia, so you are probably fairly close to Winchester.

Hoping you heal quickly, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Walking is going to be your friend to recover faster! Soon as the doc h=gives you the go ahead start with a short distance then slowly build up. First few days I walked a block, then 2 then 3 then a half mile...

Congrats to ya! I've had three lumbar surgeries, and I'm ready to beg for a 4th. This time I want a fusion, L4 to S1, I'm tired of tiptoeing around the real problem. I'm sitting here suffering right now, and I'm sick of it. Either fix me or put me down.....

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Ouch! I remember you commenting on my slipped disc which screwed up my bow hunting this year. I missed the rut! I’m happy to say after about 20 days after sitting on frozen water bottles and in my Ijoy massage chair it’s back to normal. The disc finally went back into place in on the eighth so I was able limp out to my tree stand but we had a cold snap and I think it shortened our rut up imo. From limping around for eight days and using other muscles all sides of my back around the base of my ribs were extremely sore until I sat in my I joy chair and massaged them out. I always say everything happens for a reason. I believe the man upstairs put me down on purpose because he’s tired of how I’ve been cleaning out Noah’s ark. I slim down a little bit in the last few weeks as well which I’m sure also helped because I couldn’t get up off the couch it hurt so bad. I didn’t want to get up to go the bathroom or to the fridge. I literally screamed every time I took a step for a week till that disc popped back in.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Walking is going to be your friend to recover faster! Soon as the doc h=gives you the go ahead start with a short distance then slowly build up. First few days I walked a block, then 2 then 3 then a half mile...
    Yeah still doing more of a shuffle with the ski pole/walking stick than a true walk. My extended grabber arrived today. The thick headed part of me thought I would be moving more already but have to say after just four days I am doing pretty good. My daughter told me to take it easy but not to easy. I just keep moving more and more within the house and rest/sleep alot. When I start thinking not moving along quick enough my girlfriend points out how much I have improved already. I really appreciate all the support and advice I have received from everyone. It really helps. Thanks folks.

Healing is done while you sleep. It sure does take time, keep it up You are oh the right path, A little challenge will help you get better, but, do NOT overdo. Follow your Drs. instructions. You are already doing great.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Slow and easy my friend...… You can live pretty happy without a lot of parts, but no so much without a strong back behind you. Give yourself time to heal... There's no point of pride in crippling yourself!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast