Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Hollowpoint maker?

Hollowpoint maker?

Anybody know of someome making dies that can make hollowpoint bullets?

Erik sometimes has extras, or he can convert just about any mold you have to cast hollowpoint bullets.

Here's the link to his site: http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Anybody know of someome making dies that can make hollowpoint bullets?
    Do you mean moulds that cast hollow point boolits or boolit swaging dies that form a hollow point boolit ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Forrester makes a kit if you already own their Brass trimmer. I bought just the kit not the Trimmer and it wouldn’t work in my RCBS trimmer. I just started buying hollowpoint molds and forgot about messing with it. I don’t see how I would have got the hollow point cavity drilled perfectly even in the center every time which would have affected my long-range accuracy. I remember the pictures of Larry Gibson doing it with his 35 Rem is what turned me onto it and then I ended up ordering a group buy 200 grain hollowpoint mold.

Banned
    Any brass trimmer, find a drill bit the fits in the case mouth pilot guide hole. Set the depth and ------

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have 4 brass MIHEC molds that can cast several different configurtions of HP's as well as solid slugs. You just change out the pins in the mold.

Making HP's (with a lathe or other tool) that are NOT molded that way will probably be very disappointing because you cannot get the shape and weight consistent from slug to slug. Been there.....done that.....total waste of time.

Just buy new molds for the cal's you want HP's in. That is what I did.......9mm, 38, 40, 45. They cast BEAUTIFUL boolits! With perfect weight and shape consistency. Usually 4-5 cavity molds.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Forrester makes a kit if you already own their Brass trimmer. I bought just the kit not the Trimmer and it wouldn’t work in my RCBS trimmer. ………..
    Wrap a .014 shim around a 1/8" drill (don't overlap) and it will work fine in the RCBS trimmer with the Forster centering piece....does mine anyway.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Noe bullet molds has some hollow point molds. I have a 45 mold that will do hp or flat nose. Great mold.

I made this awhile back using a RCBS small base sizing die 3/8×24 grade 8 bolt and made a hollow point punch from some scrap metal. works pretty good. makes a truncated cone H.P. this is for the .45 acp. i also use .40 s&w brass for jackets for jacketed H.P.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rick459; 12-10-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    This was made for me by a former member Goodsteel. One of the nicest peeps you will meet on the net. Unfortunately, he is no longer positing to this site. He make some very nice stuff, if I ever have a excesses of money I don't know what to do with, it will go his way for a custom rifle. I use this to hollow point 45s as Iowa requires a expanding bullet and this is interpreted by the DNR as hollow point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	252717

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Forrester makes a kit if you already own their Brass trimmer. I bought just the kit not the Trimmer and it wouldn’t work in my RCBS trimmer. I just started buying hollowpoint molds and forgot about messing with it. I don’t see how I would have got the hollow point cavity drilled perfectly even in the center every time which would have affected my long-range accuracy. I remember the pictures of Larry Gibson doing it with his 35 Rem is what turned me onto it and then I ended up ordering a group buy 200 grain hollowpoint mold.
    I too use the forester kit in my RCBS with a shim around the drill bit. It is likely that the hollow point isn't exactly, perfect center drilled. The big problem is the case is indexed off of a sloppy fit in the shell holder. Still, the cone shaped jig at least gets the hole started real close to perfect on the center of the bullet. It will never be as good as a real bullet mold.

As for accuracy, the odd thing with bullets is that the base is the steering end. You can mash up the nose pretty good with minimal effect on accuracy. A hollow point a tiny bit off center is not likely a detriment.