Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: New supposedly safety glasses.

Boolit Master

New supposedly safety glasses.

Got new supposedly safety glasses today but the lenses do not have the little do hickey inscribed in the upper right and left hand corners of each lens. Would like to know if anyone got new ones and if they have the dohickey inscribed on the lens. My old ones did have the engraving done. Far as I'm concerned if not engraved not tempered lens's. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I buy 2-3 pair of safety glasses / month for work. I primarily buy 3M, Uvex or Oakley industrial glasses. None of them have any doohickeys inscribed on the lens though every pair has a set of numbers and letters stamped into very upper edge of the lens, in VERY small block print. Perhaps this is what you mean? Due to the highly hazardous nature of my workplace, we have weekly meetings with OSHA. The glasses we use are the ones they recommend for impact protection.
    A pair of "retired" 3M glasses I brought home have this stamping :3M+ U6 L3. Is this similar to what you describe?

Also, I'm not understanding what you mean by "tempered lens's". To the best of my knowledge, "tempered lens" refers to glass. I am not aware of any safety glasses that use a glass lens- I think they all use varying types of high impact or "ballistic" polycarbonate- in other words plastic.

Banned

New supposedly safety glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Got new supposedly safety glasses today but the lenses do not have the little do hickey inscribed in the upper right and left hand corners of each lens. Would like to know if anyone got new ones and if they have the dohickey inscribed on the lens. My old ones did have the engraving done. Far as I'm concerned if not engraved not tempered lens's. Frank
    This article should help you recognize genuine safety glasses:

https://www.creativesafetysupply.com...afety-glasses/

R/Griff

Boolit Man
    Z87 is what you want. May be on the frames rather than the lenses themselves

Boolit Master
    Are you talk prescription lenses or the type you'd buy at Home Depot?
    I wear glasses and my job provided free glasses every year and the lenses were impact resistant but didn't have the letter/number on the lenses. Helpful hint polycarbonate is impact resisrent but scratches very easily,some jobs I had I'd go thru 2 pair of glasses a year.

Boolit Master

i've had days that i'd go through 2 pair a day, the company has to special order us old folks bifocal safety glasses and I try and take care of them but in the oil field crap happens. always have 3 or 4 pair of new ones in my lunch box, along with extra impact gloves. nobody around here can afford real glass safety glasses.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

In the shops I worked the engravings needed to be there or they weren't considered safety glasses by the company, that number designates the level of protection the lenses frame combo provide. We were also required to have side shields on safety glasses in the shop.

The worst on glasses was the hand air grinders. If you weren't very careful you could pit a set of lenses in short order. Those sparks don't look like much but they are hard on lenses

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Those sparks don't look like much but they are hard on lenses
    They're tough on everything.
    A buddy ground a big welding lump off one of those racks on his pickup that mounts on the front of the bed to protect the rear windshield.

A minute or two of grinding and the sparks trashed his back glass where they hit and pitted it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    These are real glass lenses. Had one pair of the polycarbonate ones and they lasted about 6 months. Cannot read whats engraved on the new lenses. Googled it and came up with the ANSI specs for glass safety glasses. Had to use a flashlight to see if anything was inscribed on the lenses. But cannot decipher it. Didn't get my reading glasses yet. But thanks all for your info and comments. Had to wear glass safety lenses most of my working career and still do even though retired. Saved my eyes at least twice. Frank

Boolit Master
    All glasses are "safety glass". The Z87 signifies a level of protection against impact such as one might find in a work environment or to be used with shooting. The generic "safety glass" term is for glasses everyone wears to improve vision. It simply means that if the glasses break there won't be flying shards of glass flying into your eye. The Z87 designates that the glasses are much stronger and are designed to actually withstand some type of high impact such as a shotgun pellet or chips when using a grinder, etc. In other words, there are different levels of impact/safety glasses.

Boolit Master
    Went back earlier today and reread the ANSI specs for safety glasses, real glass not the poly carbonate ones.And still cannot make out what's inscribed on the lens. Will call the place where I got them and find out definitely what they are. Frank

Boolit Master
    The safety glasses we got had side shields that were attached using a grommet,great idea till I pointed out that drilling the hole in the bow weakened the bow making it more susceptible to breakage. The company eventually went with frames that used detachable/replaceable side shields. Didn't know that glass (crown beryllium) was still used for lenses

To test them, I blasted a pair of Z87 from 15 yards with a 12 gauge. The frame broke and lens came out with about 20 pellet dents in each lens but not a one penetrated thru. Impressive stuff
    I buy about a box a year depending on what we're doing

Boolit Bub
    I get whatever fits good, doesn't fog, has Indoor/Outdoor tint on Amazon. I mainly look for ANSI approved frames and lenses.