Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarrel K98?

Boolit Master

Rebarrel K98?

So I have a K98 just setting around.
    Not to worry, stock was already chopped and it is not matching.
    Action is in excellent condition as is the bore.
    However not a huge fan of 8MM, so I am going to rebarrel it myself.
    Will also D&T for scope.
    Need help deciding what caliber, kinda narrowed my choices to:
    30-06
    6.5 Creedmoor
    7-08
    Also what would be a good choice for a barrel maker,
    not to expensive but want accuracy.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    What do you intend to use the rifle for.
    All the calibers you listed are great.
    I have done several in .308 , two in 30-06 , a couple in 25-06 , one in .35 Whelen.
    I have more barrels in .308 and I think 257 Roberts
    I think most of my barrels are Adams Bennet that I picked up a few years back.
    They were inexpensive , and do shoot great.
    But there are way better barrels out there , but at double the price.
    The rifles were picked up in poor condition or Sporterized already.
    I have German , Czech, Yugo, and Spanish 98 's
    They all make great rifles.
    I have a Bunch of Mausers that were in better surplus condition that I am leaving in 8mm.
    But I have made some 8mm into 8mm06 the Poor Man's Magnum.
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-07-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Keep in mind cartridges that feed with little to no alteration of the feed rails. Those you list should feed ok, but may require opening the magazine box up or may require a block spacer for the shorter ones. I would keep in mind cartridges that closely match the “x57” family..
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    There's also the 280 Remington, a .270 case and necked to 7mm. Our local range, I don't see many reloading the .270 and just leave the brass.

Banned
    The Mauser 98 action is an iconic action and the basis for countless rifles.

I am a HUGE fan of the 308 Win and the 7mm-08, however, as others have accurately pointed out, those cartridges are shorter than the action length of the Mauser 98. They can certainly be made to work in that action but to me it negates the advantage of a short cartridge if you use it in a long action.

I'm going to toss out another option that is in the middle of the pack in terms of cartridge length - the 7mm Mauser (7 x 57).

The overall cartridge length of the 7mm Mauser is only slightly shorter than the 8mm Mauser and the 7mm Mauser is an incredible cartridge. The shorter 7mm-08 has overshadowed the 7 x 57 and almost killed it off in terms of new rifles but the 7 x 57 still has a lot to offer.

Boolit Grand Master
    I once did a 98 action in .30-06. Everything was great except the action was just a might short for longer '06 cartridges. I could make it work, but that required a cartridge made shorter than "optimum for the chamber" over all length. It drove me nuts. I could single shoot the rifle with long cartridges for the best accuracy or load them shorter (which made for a less accurate cartridge) if I used the magazine for multiple shots. Lots of short action cartridges to choose from. All depends on your preferences. They all have something going for them. Personally, I'm a .308 & 7mm Mauser fan.

Forget the Creedmoor and go with the 6.5x55 Swedish. I have rebarrelled 98’s to 22-250, .243,.300 Savage,and .308 with no feeding problems but maybe I was lucky. I agree with using a 57mm length case for a perfect fit. Larry Gibson and others can describe easy to make 7.62x57 and 9x 57 wildcats that would be a perfect fit as well. Good luck, post your project as it goes, please.

Boolit Master
    So far I have not had issues with feeding a .308 in the standard Mauser 98 magazine.
    But do modify the magazine box to fit a 30-06 length cartridge in that caliber.
    But I like The Yugo 24/47 or 48 for doing rifles in .308 or shorter cartridges because of the shorter action.
    But it only makes sense to use the longer actions for the longer cartridges.
    The 25-06 and .35 Whelens did not have to have the magazines modified, but could be if you intended to shoot longer bullets.
    The 8mm-06 magazines were also extended so I could use the heavier Boolits.
    A standard 25-06 will fit the shorter Yugo action with Standard factory ammo loadings

Banned
    At the risk of getting into yet another long action v. short action debate, I will say that I am a dedicated fan of the short actions.

The 98K is a long action and while it can certainly be made to function with a short action class cartridge, doing so negates the advantages of a short cartridge.

If I was starting with a short action my vote would be for a 308 or 7mm-08 and that would be a strong vote. Those are fantastic cartridges, barrels in 7.62mm and 7mm are plentiful and all of the advantages of a short action could be realized.
    However, if I was configuring that project around a long action, I would want to stay with a cartridge in that same class.

There are a lot of choices in that class. The .30-06 can be made to work in that action but the overall cartridge length can be an issue with some bullets. I agree with Texas by God that the Creedmore should be removed from the list and I also agree that the 6.5 x 55 is a good possibility.
    The OP said he wasn't a fan of the 8mm Muaser so I assume that going to a bigger diameter bore is probably not where he is heading. So that eliminates the 9 x 57. ,
    The 7.62 x 57 is interesting.

In FULL DISCLOSURE, I am a huge fan of the 7mm-08 and the 7mm Mauser (7 x 57). If it wasn't for the OP's long action starting point, I would vote for the 7mm-08. With that 98K long action my vote is for the 7mm Mauser.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 12-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Boolit Master

I'll second the suggestion of 7x57, since your modifications will likely only need to consist of the barrel swap. That action needs some hefty tuning to work with .308-length rounds, and the .30-06 is a trifle long to fit without surgery.

There is also the 6.5x57 to consider.

As for the cartridges on your list - save yourself the grief and just buy a new rifle chambered for them. They ain't scarce.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I've rebarreled several Mausers so have no issue with you wanting to do so. However, the 8x57 is a great round that can do just about everything the rounds on your list will do. I'd keep it as an 8mm Mauser. D/T and whatever else you want to do to it. Lots of shot out crappy Mausers out there to rebarrel.

I have done a few , I have used green mountain barrels out of Midway USA for about $100 and been very happy with them

I don't mind being odd opinion out. Since the bore is in "perfect" shape, leave it alone. Restock the gun for appearance, bend or replace the bolt handle and drill it for scope. By that time, you will have spent the price of a pretty good new rifle and have a $200 milsurp. The 8mm is as good as it gets when it comes to killing things.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Since the barreled action is x57 length and the bore is perfect, I would just use it as an 8x57 Mauser, but would up the loading to a much higher C.U.P/PSI ( watching for signs of high pressure, be prudent ) to be able to enjoy this very fine cartridge as is, without having to modify the feed rails/mag box/feed ramp/etc.

I'm working on two Mausers at presently, one in 7x57mm, the other in 8x57mm, for use as cast bullet rifles.

I have built Mausers for just about all of the cartridges that would fit in the mag box, modified when needed, and I will say that using a short action cartridge in a long action rifle wastes some of the advantages of the longer action.

My $.02 worth of advise would be to go with the 8x57, or re-barrel to a .284 bore for use a .280 Remington. With well placed shots, either of these fine cartridges will be suitable for anything on this continent, except for the really big bears.

I once built a .458 Winchester out of a Large Ring Mauser for a gentleman several years ago. Finally got it to feed from the magazine correctly, but it was a lot of work. Also would only hold 3 cartridges, but what would you need the other 2 for anyway?

Good luck on your project whatever you decide.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    And it appears another has found a Mauser rabbit hole, former multiple explorer here. VZ24's, K98's, oh they got me! I still have several and know I will be lucky to get 25-40% return on investment if looked at in a monetary sense. Did I enjoy the journey and gain a lot of experience, I most certainly did. I also spent a bunch of money that just sits in the safe hoping to be played with again one day. If I may offer some advise, look for used pieces parts, those handed off or not needed by previous travelers. I have seen really nice old Bishop/Fajen used stocks on Fleabay and other sites for reasonable coin. Sand, bed and finish and away you go with all the hard work done. The 8mm is a great round but the projectile thing strays some. If you are going to cast for it I would leave caliber as is and rock on, brass expenditure in 8 or convert plentiful 06. Your project, your plan, your path, and in the end probably still a lot cheaper than professional therapy though, just enjoy!

Boolit Master
    There is a market for a 8mm barrel in good condition.
    There are lots of us that have surplus Mausers with really bad bores , that wish to keep them in almost original condition.
    There ain't much collector value , but the surplus value still holds up there with the Armory Refurbished made out of mis matched parts.
    And if it is fit right , it should outshoot other surplus rifles.

Boolit Master

I have one in process now. Took some time to decide between 6.5x55 & 257 Bob. The Bob won.

Its a 7.65 now. It has action work done. New spoon bolt handle, shroud & Timney trigger. Its a 1909 Argentine 98. It will be my fifth. Love these 98’s. I agree that ya need to keep it between 55&63 mm. Magnums present bolt face and rail issues. Shorter like 308/358 just dont feed smoothly. (First I did was 358W. Its a Whelen now. )

I almost went 25/06 but I have ck couple hundred roberts virgin cases. & I have a prev built 6.5/06 already.

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I too prefer the 257 Roberts except for super long range stuff , that is why I went with 25-06 on my first two.
    I also prefer the 1909 action.
    Built a friend one in .35 Whelen also.
    I still have Two Bob barrels to be installed on Yugo 24/47 actions when I get other projects finished.
    One of the barrels will be Rechambered for the 257 Improved.
    That will allow me to use heavier bullets and increase the range in the Bob.

The 6mm Remington is perfect for the 98 and sadly overlooked by the masses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Your right TbG!! I always wanted a 6mm. Maybe the next one!

I thought about the improved bob. But +p is plenty for me. If need more Ill choose another caliber.

Its been a couple Years for my project. I actually stole its trigger for a 8mm Mauser and just replaced it last week. My project need to get rolling again.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast