RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder (paint) Containers?

Banned
    I had so much trouble with powder coat lately that I thought to try and remove moisture from the powder itself.
    A couple of years ago I picked up a little Electric Laboratory Dryer. It has a very fine heat adjustment from about 120°F to about 170°F with slight air movement.
    I put some powder paint in it that I suspected had gotten contaminated with moisture by being exposed to high humidity long enough to absorb it. (I noticed several years ago when powder coating in the unheated garage at -20F that the powder had big chunks frozen together from the moisture in it.)
    After drying some in the lab dryer it seemed to improve the coating ability. So I have since gotten taken apart an old air filter to use the paper as a holder for powder paint so I can run more through the dryer. We will see how that works.

Banned
    Watching to see your results, try coffee filters.

Boolit Master

My powder (ebay clear) came double bagged and I've left it in them despite the zipper being polluted with PC and not making a great seal. I've had the powder stored in a 50-65% humidity basement for a year or more and routinely powdercoat on damp days. The power still coats great. I attribute it to the fact that I powder coat right after casting and the warm boolits have the ability to drive off some moisture.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    My powder (ebay clear) came double bagged and I've left it in them despite the zipper being polluted with PC and not making a great seal. I've had the powder stored in a 50-65% humidity basement for a year or more and routinely powdercoat on damp days. The power still coats great. I attribute it to the fact that I powder coat right after casting and the warm boolits have the ability to drive off some moisture.
    To put relative humidity into perspective, I lived in Tampa FL for 10 years. When I told people that we had high humidity in Wisconsin they always said "yeah just like here" I would say "no not like here, where the humidity gets up in the 70% range from time to time but is usually in the 65% to 68% range. In Wisconsin when it is 68% it feels like the desert." I had an uncle visiting Wisconsin from the desert of Colorado back in the 60's. He was used to 100+°. But when visiting he kept wiping his brow saying "man how hot is it in here"...I checked the thermostat ... it was 72°. Folks ...We have weeks, sometimes near complete months that are 100% humidity. I told that to a friend when I lived in Massachusetts and he laughed saying "so it is raining every day" thinking that 100% humidity meant it was raining....Nope. Not raining. Just 100% humidity. There is also a big difference in powder coating in 100% humidity and 68% humidity. 68% is OK for powdercoating. 100% just doesn't work, unless you are willing to give it 3 coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    To put relative humidity into perspective, I lived in Tampa FL for 10 years. When I told people that we had high humidity in Wisconsin they always said "yeah just like here" I would say "no not like here, where the humidity gets up in the 70% range from time to time but is usually in the 65% to 68% range. In Wisconsin when it is 68% it feels like the desert." I had an uncle visiting Wisconsin from the desert of Colorado back in the 60's. He was used to 100+°. But when visiting he kept wiping his brow saying "man how hot is it in here"...I checked the thermostat ... it was 72°. Folks ...We have weeks, sometimes near complete months that are 100% humidity. I told that to a friend when I lived in Massachusetts and he laughed saying "so it is raining every day" thinking that 100% humidity meant it was raining....Nope. Not raining. Just 100% humidity. There is also a big difference in powder coating in 100% humidity and 68% humidity. 68% is OK for powdercoating. 100% just doesn't work, unless you are willing to give it 3 coats.
    I know a gal from New Mexico. When she came up to visit both the temperature and humidity were in the upper 90's and she was surprised enough to joke that she wanted to go back to the desert to cool off.

Boolit Master

While I store the PC in the basement, I cast and PC outdoors, often on rainy days. So 100% humidity during the actual coating process.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    While I store the PC in the basement, I cast and PC outdoors, often on rainy days. So 100% humidity during the actual coating process.
    For clouds to form and rain to start, the air does have to reach 100% relative humidity, but only where the clouds are forming or where the rain is coming from. Often, rain will be falling from clouds where the humidity is 100% into air with a lower humidity.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For those who think they have a humility problem, I would suggest not using a hard container, where excess air cannot be first forced out. At least put powder in a plastic bag and purging all air, before putting in hard container. Silica gel packs can be bought for almost nothing from China, but you have to wait a month sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12