Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder (paint) Containers?

Banned

Powder (paint) Containers?

Hey folks,
    I was just wondering what folks use for storing their powder. I have gotten several different batches of powder in plastic bags and transferred them to glass jars. Just plain old food jars recycled from olives etc. I have been including in those jars with the powder some of those little desiccant packs like you get in some pill jars. But my powder is not working well. I was wondering if the glass jars is having an ill effect on the powder. Any ideas?

Boolit Master

Dunno...I use essentially the same storage - 'Mason' canning jars instead of recycled food jars - and, last week, coated around 1k with some Smoke's Clear that I've had on the shelf for almost two years. Could be that your food jars aren't completely airtight but the dessicant paks should take care of that.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned
    I just leave it in the bag it comes in. Commercially PC comes in a 50# box in a big bag with a zip-tie.

It would help if we knew what part of the country you're in to know the climate you're dealing with

Banned
    I'm in Wisconsin. The summers are so humid as to almost completely preclude the ability to do shake n bake powder coating. So I concentrate the vast majority of my coating in the winter. Maybe it is still too humid here even though there is about 10" of snow on the ground right now.

Boolit Grand Master

I would look at a jar with a food seal on the lid mason jars with the rings and lids have a very good seal. Some of the candles and candy jars with the push in lids and rubber cup seals might do very well.

For long term storage warming the jars and contents then sealing while hot would create a vacuum that would help seal the jar.

Boolit Buddy
    Double ZipLocs, just like it comes shipped to me. I like that I can evacuate the bags of air before sealing them. I think this aids in keeping the PC fresh.

Boolit Buddy
    Small screw top rubbermaid containers from Walmart. Zip lock bags inside of them unless it's a color I use often.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Someone may want to try a paint store they will sell new unused paint cans pints qts gal for storage use just a thought.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    I use the eastwood 8 oz bottle , you can fit 1 lb of powder in a bottle ,I pick some up on the last eastwood powder order to try out.
    I peel the color ident sticker off the bag and stick it to the bottle than I store the bottles in the plastic 50 cal ammo can
    these are the screw on bottles they use for their powder coat guns and they come with screw on covers , they sell them in packs of three

Boolit Bub
    Go to a food supply dist. They have these bar/mixer bottom containers. They are about 5" in diameter and come in 8 and 16 ounce with airtight lids. i pay about $3/ea for them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mebudman63 View Post
    Go to a food supply dist. They have these bar/mixer bottom containers. They are about 5" in diameter and come in 8 and 16 ounce with airtight lids. i pay about $3/ea for them.
    Do you have pictures of those?

Boolit Buddy
    I double zip lock bags and then store them in ammo cans.
    Worked okay so far only been powder coating for a few months. Time will tell.

I bought a number of plastic containers from dollar tree last year. The threads fit the cheap HF sprayer and I've used them to store the powder in. Also they had some large (think coffee can size) screw top plastic containers. pretty clear, you could determine color through them. Dollar tree also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I bought a number of plastic containers from dollar tree last year. The threads fit the cheap HF sprayer and I've used them to store the powder in. Also they had some large (think coffee can size) screw top plastic containers. pretty clear, you could determine color through them. Dollar tree also.
    That's wonderful news...Dollar tree is my favorite store!

Boolit Master

I double bag mine in freezer zip loc. When if the bag gets rough it gets changed. Double bags with air squeezed out works fine for me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I bought a couple dozen powder coat bottles that fit the harbor freight gun when they were available (I think they still are at Grizzley.com). They come with air tight caps. Just pick a color off the shelf, screw it onto my gun and go. My bulk powder I keep in the original bags and only open them when I need to add to a bottle.

I'm in Wisconsin too. I keep my paint in the jars the paint comes in and store them in an ammo box with a sealed lid along with some desiccant packs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan61 View Post
    I'm in Wisconsin too. I keep my paint in the jars the paint comes in and store them in an ammo box with a sealed lid along with some desiccant packs.
    Oh Yeah. Those air tight ammo cans are the way to go. Going to transfer all my powder to them today...Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Oh Yeah. Those air tight ammo cans are the way to go. Going to transfer all my powder to them today...Thanks for the tip.
    It works well for me but it won't help with the paint sticking with the high humidity of summer we get here in Wisconsin so like you, I do most of my powder coating in winter. In summer I've found that I can successfully powder coat if I've been running the central air for a few days plus a dehumidifier but I can usually get all the bullets I need for the year done before spring comes. Besides, it gives me something to do when it's too cold outside.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I double bag mine with and seal with twist ties. I also add a few silica gel packs and then put in Tupperware. I take out the powder I’m going to use and close up fast. Any unused powder from coating gets discarded. I’ve never had a problem. I would say I usually have average humidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast