RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much?

How much?

I will be starting my adventure into powder coating in a couple of days. I thing I haven't heard is how much powder to use. I have the capability to do 200 bullets at a time. How much powder should I start with?

Just an old man who is trying something new.

ACC

Boolit Master

1st time try half a teaspoon. It depends on the Bullets, the container and how you shake it. And if you use airsoft bb's or not
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

For 500-ish 124 gr 9mm's, an initial dose of 1.5 teaspoons of Smoke's powder is plenty. It's best to start out with too little than too much; having too much powder in the container can actually *prevent* getting a good, even coat.

I start with 500 boolits, 1.5 teaspoons of powder, no airsoft BB's, and shake/swirl for five solid minutes. It does take longer without BB's than with. If I can tell that the boolits are looking powder starved, I'll add 1/2 teaspoon more.

It's something you'll get a feel for after you've done it a few time, but as a general rule, it's best to start out with too little powder than too much.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

Start with what you think is too little. It will probably be enough. If not, then you can always add a little bit more.

Boolit Buddy
    As has been stated, a little goes a long ways. You can always add more. I too find too much will tend to make it cake a little uneven depending on the powder you are using and colors vary as well. I use Smokes powder and he told me a pound would do something like 10,000 -12,000 which is unreal. That should give you an idea of how far it goes.

Boolit Master
    well first I wouldn't start with 200 bullets on the first try, why have several hundred not properly coated bullets assuming its not perfect first try. id put 20 in a small container and practice small scale then scale up.

Boolit Master
    Just about everyone does it slightly different. I think that the environment has something to do with how easy/fast to get a good coating. I started with black bb's and will continue to use them. I have to agree that I don't put a lot of powder in the container.

FWIW, I use the good Rubbermaid containers and keep the colors separate. They stack neatly and don't take up too much space (and I like a lot of colors). It doesn't take me but a few minutes for complete coverage and again, that may be because of my particular environment.

I usually only put 75-100 bullets in the containers at a time. I don't mind having to shake up another batch and I find that too many bullets tend to bugger up the hollowpoints.

If you haven't ordered powder yet, get some clear. It coats easiest and you can add it to colors where it makes them slightly translucent. In my experience it helps the colors to get a complete coverage.

Just my $.02 and worth everything you paid for it....

Boolit Master
    ACC, to give you pertinent information may I ask how you plan on doing 200 bullets at a time? What kind of humidity levels will you be dealing with? What powder are you going to use? Do you plan to pre-heat?

Boolit Master

I have been doing around 200 in my containers at a time , raining outside in a unheated shop using screw on lid storage containers from the dollar tree , I put in more powder then most and sift the airsoft bb's out in a colander that is plastic and I enlarged the slits , most of the time these bullets are done after 2-3 casting sessions over the course of different days , I have also done bullets stored in coffee cans both metal and plastic that were stored under casting bench , after removing all bullets that were on top and starting to oxidize , so far no problems . But I also would suggest start with a test batch and see , I have stopped using lube completely as the results of coating better suit what I prefer , that being clean to the touch bullets while loading and no build up in seating dies , also the added advantage of no sticky lube on hands ,less mess and residue , along with less smoke on firing . I am using smokes powder and a thermometer that was suggested by dragonheart , to keep my baking at the recommended temperature and adjusting oven temp and time as needed , nitrile gloves placing bullets on silicone baking mats . Using more powder is not in my opinion detrimental to the process , and I just put it back in container and use again , as stated by others you will get a feel for what works for you and tune your process to your liking , give it a swirl and cook .

I use the screw on plastic containers, about 2cup. I do about 80/9mm at a pop w/ asbb. 1tsp of powder will do about 300 bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Well I live in south Texas, and it has been in the 40's here lately. I bought an oven at a used item store up by Canyon Lake. My first try will be with Harbor Freight paint and if that works some what OK, I will get the better stuff.

I will be coating some Lee 166 gr. SWCs that my brother cast.

If it seems to work OK, and I can find out Smoke's web site I will order some from him. I just don't like the hassle and mess of lubing bullets. To much smoke at the range too.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    I had some fairly good results with HF Red by swirl and Black by spray. I never had any good results trying to swirl the Black. But after I switched to Smoke's PC, all my HF just sits on the shelf. You can find Smoke in the Vendor section at the bottom of the front page to CB. Don't forget to post some pictures so we can ride along on your Journey with you.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

ACC, if you are going to "shake and bake" your boolits, a good container to use is one that will allow good static for the powder to adhere. The air soft BB's from Wal Mart help, and I have has good success with an empty and freshly scrubbed butter tub, as long as it has the little triangle with the #5 inside stamped on the bottom.Attachment 252900Attachment 252901 Here is a pic of the container I use with the triangle highlighted and the BB's. I pick the boolits out with a pair of needle nose pliers but there are easier ways to separate BB's from boolits, I just got started doing it that way.Attachment 252902. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions and keep us posted. BTW, a clear cool clear day with low humidity is perfect for this job.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Well since you are here in Texas like me you started this at the right time of the year. Humidity is a killer on powder coating. If you are going to start with Harbor freight powder use the red, that`s about the only color that works decent. You ever get around Austin I have some of the good stuff.

Boolit Master
    If you have not bought the HF stuff, then don't waste your money. You might get by with red but some of their other colors are bad. Just get some from Smoke or Eastwood. Smoke has a nice deal where you can get a mix of colors instead of a 1lb minimum per color.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale

Boolit Master
    I am here in Katy, TX and I agree, don't waste your money on Harbor Freight powder, the red is the best and it is not great. If you don't want to use Smoke's powder then go online and purchase from Prismatic Powder and stay with the "Solid Colors" Shipping is about $18, but you can order one pound or a truckload. When you consider just about any vehicle costs over a dollar a mile to operate the $18 delivered to your door is not unreasonable. From my many trips to South Texas in the past you can drive a long time to get to anywhere.

Boolit Bub
    I use Smoke320's powder and I hand tumble. I put a little bit at a time, shake and see if the coverage is enough. If not I put more. It depends on how many bullets I do at the time

Well I will put the powder coating off till I can get some of Smoke's powder. I can wait and do it right. Besides I have a love hate relationship with Harbor Freight.

ACC

Boolit Master

Basically, throw in a handful of bullrts with a half a teaspoon or less powder. Swirl for a bit, shake vigorously up and down and take a peek. If they have bare spots and the bb's (if used) are not coated, add a bit more powder and try again. If they look "fuzzy" like fleece or flocking, add more bullets until the coverage looks good.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    As far as the amount of powder it is not like the excess powder goes to waste. You are only going to get so much powder to adhere due to the static charge. If you don't get a complete coverage, meaning you can still see the bare lead or just lightly dusted bare lead, then assuming your bullets are clean, humidity is most likely your problem. SA's humidity typically runs considerably lower than here on the Gulf Coast, so I doubt you will have a problem, but if you do all is not lost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast