Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30 Luger from .223

Boolit Buddy

.30 Luger from .223

Here's a rough and ready way to form .30 Luger cases from .223 / 5.56mm.

Make a wooden jig to allow you to hacksaw .223 cases to an appropriate length. Deburr the shortened case with a file, and then run it through a .30 Luger trim die. You will need an extended shell holder to do this. The trim die has the same contour as a sizing die, and will easily form the shoulder and neck. File to length while it is in the die. If you got lucky making your jig, there won't be much filing to do. You now have a .30 Luger case with a neck that is way too thick.

Place the case in a 9mm shell holder from a Lee trim gauge, crank it down tight (a vise and pliers are handy here), and fasten the spud in a drill press vise. Hold the vise loosely and position it so that an 8mm reamer in the drill press will self center. Advance slowly until the entire neck is reamed. Remove case, knock out the shavings, and chamfer.

Run through your usual sizing/expanding dies, it's then ready to load - but will have less internal capacity than commercial brass. The ones I made from PPU .223 had about 6% less, so reduce your charge accordingly.

.223 cases are slightly smaller than .30 Luger, so the fired case will look a little pudgy were it expands above the base.

There are other and better ways to form cases, but this let me do it with an 8mm reamer ($9 from eBay) as my only expense. I had fun, but won't be doing this anymore unless the commercial brass supply runs dry.

Boolit Mold
    Nice write up. Sorry no replies to it. Must not be many folks needing 3 Luger.

Nice write up but why bother? Commercial brass is readily available at a modest price plus published loading data will not be valid for the reformed cases as internal volume will be radically different creating higher pressure with a given load.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

That's a hard way to go when Fiochi has commercial available.

Boolit Master

YUP
    Possible but WHY
    Easier to use commercial brass and use the
    spare time for other things ... like SHOOTING

Mike

p.s. same thing with 7.62x25 brass, for years I made it out of 223 or 9mm Win mag brass, but now
    I BUY it

What I did was to get an RCBS trim die, and run the case up and whack it off with a jeweler's hack saw.
    Then I took a Forster inside neck reamer and fitted it in the electric RCBS case trimmer and inside neck reamed and final trimmed at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXo96H-h7k

Worked well, but a pain rather than buying
    Last edited by skeettx; 12-21-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I did something similar forty years ago when 7.63 Mauser was unobtanium. After going to all that trouble, you were further aggravated because, like the Luger, it launched brass into low orbit. With good commercial brass available it is not worth the effort.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, you are right, indeed! - it is too much work when commercial brass is available at reasonable prices. I was just on a high that I could create useable brass without breaking the bank. No need at all to do it unless the commercial supply goes away. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill*B View Post
    Yes, you are right, indeed! - it is too much work when commercial brass is available at reasonable prices. I was just on a high that I could create useable brass without breaking the bank. No need at all to do it unless the commercial supply goes away. Bill
    And...that's the whole point of much of what we do. It's because we can. I mean...why cast lead when you can just buy jacketed bullets, right?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    And...that's the whole point of much of what we do. It's because we can. I mean...why cast lead when you can just buy jacketed bullets, right?
    Exactly.....the answer is not that it makes sense but because you CAN. See the title of this topic folks "CASE FORMING"
    What color would the text need to be to evoke Captain Obvious?
    I enjoy turning one case into another. I am envious of the folks who make 40 jacketed bullets out of 9mm cases, someday.......

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Exactly.....the answer is not that it makes sense but because you CAN. See the title of this topic folks "CASE FORMING"
    What color would the text need to be to evoke Captain Obvious?
    I enjoy turning one case into another. I am envious of the folks who make 40 jacketed bullets out of 9mm cases, someday.......
    If you want futility then try making 7.62x38R Nagant brass from .223!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0484 s.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	253991

Boolit Buddy

I just trim and resize starline 9x23 super comp. I do that for the higher pressures in the Glock with 30 Luger barrel, since the 9x23 is more strongerer. In the end, though, 30 luger are common these days. But hey, wouldn't be the first time I tried something just for the fun (?) of it.

Mike
    -Mike

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post

That's fun, but I just reload the commercial boxer primed stuff or use 32-20 brass with the bullet exposed...

Mike
    -Mike

I appreciate the info posted by Bill in the OP.
    I treat my Starline 30 Luger brass like it's match grade. In other words, I don't want to lose it when shooting field style outdoors. I get tons of FREE 223/5.56 brass at the range. It's all over the place! Sure, we can bust our butts cleaning and sorting it, only to sell for pennies a piece. Or, we can make better (Hehe, sorry, couldn't resist!) cartridges out of it.

I use 223 brass to make 762x25 because I get it free at range and only needed to buy neck trimmer and dies. a pain but have everything else already.

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post

Not futility, I did it to see if I could before buying a Nagant revolver fully understanding that revolver had the potential to becoming a wall hanger if the brass supply dried up. I load commercial brass because it is currently available.

But I know if push comes to shove, I can make functional brass.

I never shot a nagant revolver but have 2 sets of grips that came with reloading bulk purchase

Boolit Master

I appreciate the thread as I'm considering a project in 30 Luger for a small carbine for rolling rabbits.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but there is a better (still cheap!) way.

Chuck the formed case in your drill press. Push the chuck end of your reamer into a piece of hardwood with a hole drilled in - just large enough for a tight friction fit, to hold it erect. Lower the case onto the reamer. It wants to self center - you will almost always get a nice clean job. The case is tough, and the drill chuck won't hurt it at all.

Details: expand your formed case neck before doing this. An 8mm reamer will then give a neck thickness that is just about right, after final full length sizing/expansion.

Boolit Buddy
    LOL, this thread bring back memory's.

Back in the mid 1970's Dad came across a 5 gallon bucket of fired 5.56 blanks.
    I was the person who got to crank the press handle and use the hacksaw and case trimmer
    We had several guys wanting 30 Mauser ammo, so Dad bought a RCBS file trim die, and extended shell holder.
    He set the press up so I could use a hacksaw to trim the case maybe 1/32" too long.
    I then swaged the primer pockets on all of them.
    Ran them all thru the FL size die
    Dad made up a reamer to inside neck ream and overall trim at the same time on the Forester case trimmer

I also had to cast all the boolits, and lube/size them.

Then set up and loaded all those cases.
    Spent a lot of time that winter working on them and I was paid about 10 cents a round but it made several gun owners happy.

J Wisner

Boolit Master
    I to have done the way you posted, 30+yrs ago when there was none to be had. and it was a nighmare but it was the only dog & pony show in town. all of the ammo that was to be had was MILL-SURP,& it was all BERDAN primed. thank you for posting for those who like the challenge.as stated I have been there & done that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast