MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 8208 vs Varget

Boolit Bub

8208 vs Varget

I find 8208 is incredibly underrated. People flock to varget and don’t touch 8208 even though it’s about as versatile and significantly more available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Could be because on a burn rate chart, 8208 is faster than varget

Super Moderator Emeritus
    In several cartridges 8208 and benchmark give excellent accuracy. Varget is a good general powder for many rounds. Each has its place

Boolit Bub
    I shoot it in everything; 223 to 30-06 no problems. Won gold with it at Perry in the garand match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hard to find around here local.

Boolit Grand Master

I love 8208 for the slightly lighter weight stuff and Varget for the heavier stuff in the same application. (223/308/etc)

Does anyone know the difference between the 8208 canister powder available off the shelf and the bulk 8208 once sold by GIBrass.com? I've shot through one 8 lb. jug and have one left. Sorry about the hi-jack.

I use IMR 4064 in place of Varget. Now I see another powder to look into if need to.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I love 8208 for the slightly lighter weight stuff and Varget for the heavier stuff in the same application. (223/308/etc)
    Bingo! My experiences exactly. If forced to choose, Varget would be my choice with my guns. I tend to shoot heavy for caliber bullets, and Varget tends to work better for me there.

In a 6.5 Gendel AR I built for longer range, no better powder for me than XMR8208 using 123 grain bullets. I can cram more of it in the smallish case to get the velocity up. There a variations to everything it seems....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between the 8208 canister powder available off the shelf and the bulk 8208 once sold by GIBrass.com? I've shot through one 8 lb. jug and have one left. Sorry about the hi-jack.
    What you are referring to is probably some surplus powder marketed as Thunderbird 8208 (or some such name) some years back. One particular lot was considered a grail powder for the short range benchrest shooters. The newer XMR8208 was supposed to be close to it (meant to be a modern replacement), but it hasn't exactly met that expectation. It is still very good though.

Boolit Master

The older 8028 was pull down stuff for the prototype 5.56MM in the M-16. It's the stuff that fouled the gas system and caused so many M-16 jams with the Army. I encountered it in a pallet of M16 ammo I ordered over in VN and received belted stuff for use in the Marine Corps Stoners. Pulled bullets revealed 8028 in a non canister lot. Head stamp was REM-UMC .223. This is probably the source of the GIBrass lots. Wish I had about 30 pounds now.
    First encountered this stuff in the early 60s when the AF got the M-16. The brass made darn fine, long lasting .222 cases when formed and trimmed and neck reamed. Still have some of them after 50+ years and they're still kicking./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

XBR is my go-to powder for my Grendels...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Moderator Emeritus

I was given half a can of 8208 and used it with excellent accuracy in the 243 Winchester.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

8208 was NOT the powder that fouled M-16s. It WAS developed for the 5.56, but duPont could not get the process stabilized well enough to meet the D.o.D. procurement volume. Hence D.o.D. switch to the ball powder that WAS the source of fouling M-16s. D.o.D. did continue to procure 8208, to keep a second source viable, which is why there has been pulldown powder in the market at times. This according to Col. Harrison, who was personally involved in the whole fiasco.

I like 8208, but did not go whole hog with it because I was (and still am) heavily stocked with Varget, and I found that a caseful of Varget worked better with heavy bullets in the 5.56/223. If I ever go back to loading for my .222, it would be using 50 grain or even 45 grain j-words, and 8208 would be the first powder I'd try.
    Cognitive Dissident

Varget is a remarkable powder. Excellent velocity in 308 based cartridges. Great temp stability. Meters well. Hard to find at times. Why I make sure I have 200 buck laying around when I come across 8 lbs. IMR 4064 is another fantastic powder. I have never used 8208 and probably will not due to the consistency I have found with the previous two mentioned. My current powder shelf has 800x, Varget, 4064, and 1680 in large quantities. I currently do not have any magnums but have used considerable amounts of H1000.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19