Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my sizing die is messed up...

I think my sizing die is messed up...

I don't like what my .38 spcl sizing die is doing to my cases... It's scoring the case wall... Enough I can catch my fingernail on it. Well, I only messed up a couple of cases. I wonder if RCBS will warranty it?

Boolit Master
    Is it carbide or steel ?

Boolit Buddy
    Well take a good look at it first. Can you see something stuck in there that could be causing the scoring, or a burr?
    If it's a new die they certainly will warranty it. Even if it's not they might, there's really good with that.

Those cases are almost certainly still good to use, i'd imagine.

Boolit Master
    did it do that since new ?

Boolit Master
    Guessing that the die has a bur or a bit of foreign material in it. Have you inspected the inner part carefully? And as the previous poster asked: are they carbide or steel? How old are the dies?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Use very fine wet or dry sand paper with some oil and polish out the die. Will not cut carbide but will remove the brass from the walls of the die.

Another possibility is a CRACKED Carbide insert, those are rare, but make a mess of the brass when it happens

IF it is a Carbide die and it has a cracked insert ring, replace it or try for a warranty...

Steel, not carbide. I'm gonna try a light wet-sanding with fine emory cloth... I'm not certain how old they are as they are "hand me downs" from a friend. The inside of the die appears to have large scratches in it.

I will attempt to post pictures of the die and the brass when I am actually at a computer (not my phone).

To remove brass disassemble all other components and soak in HCL for an hour or two.

Hydrochloric Acid attacks brass in ways that have to be seen as it attacks the Zinc in the alloy and leaves behind the copper.

If the remaining copper gives you any trouble AMMONIA is your friend.

Be sure to take the aluminum locking ring off the die before you start the aluminum will dissolve in the acid neutralizing it in a few minutes.

Hydrochloric also strips rust off of steel and it does it fast, so don't leave it unattended

If the die is pitted where the brass was the pitting was there before you started

Boolit Master

I would Chuck the die in a vise WITHOUT the decapping rod. Use pieces of Aluminum Oxide #320 cut in strips to fit a good-sized patch NYLON holder, wet it and curl a 6" strip around the patch holder. Chuck patch holder in variable speed drill. Start slow, after about 20seconds, switch the A/O paper to the other way and start another 20seconds.
    Then CLEAN the die with oil. Dry it fully. If there is anything left in it. Well, rinse, repeat with another strip of A/O paper.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Polish it. A short piece of an old arrow shaft (aluminum or wood) with a long strip of sand paper taped to it has worked well for me. Cut the arrow with a hack saw, deburr with a file, chuck it up in your drill motor and go. I wrap sand paper on the arrow until it just barely fits into the die.

JM

Boolit Master
    Or better yet, treat yourself to a nice new carbide size die and put that scratchy one in the metal recycling bin.

Boolit Master

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    Or better yet, treat yourself to a nice new carbide size die and put that scratchy one in the metal recycling bin.

While the die may be salvageable it sounds like there's a reason it was a "hand-me-down". Any polishing to remove the damage will also enlarge the die. The metal removed may not be enough to really matter but it may just be time for a new die.

I hate to spend money and I love to save old tools BUT .....sometimes you're way ahead of the game by just replacing it.

A new RCBS or Redding carbide sizing die will outlive you. And if you have a carbide sizing die you can skip the step of lubing cases before sizing.

Boolit Master

Same thing happened to me. I sent my RCBS back to them and they polished them right up. Probably got some dirt on a case, didn't get cleaned it off, and it scored the inside of the die. You can try to polish it out.

Boolit Master

I have had this happen a few times with steel dies. Not enough lube and a bit of grit or galling of the case, then it just gets worse and worse. It's usually not a scratched die but an accumulation of brass or deposit on the surface of the die. It may have begun as a light scratch, but itll only be a very fine scratch that brass has accumulated on to make the deposit. I've use bore cleaner, then followed with very fine emory cloth or wet dry sandpaper and finally a light polish with a tight fitting cotton patch and flitz. Die is again in excellent condition. No harm no foul and took 5 minutes if you have all your material available. Give it a try. It wont take long and you will likely experience again sometime in the future. No reason to spend money you dont have to, even shipping back to RCBS.

Boolit Grand Master

You may not have to remove the scratch but just the raised metal around it. A rod split and wrapped to a snug fit with soft cotton flannel and a light coat of very fine abrasive flitz simichrome JB Bore cleaner or a very fine diamond compound will do this removing very little metal. Use a light oil on the cloth when polishing.

Super Moderator

I have done similar to country gent. I took a wooden dowel wrapped with flannel cloth and polished with JB Bore. One of my dies was scratching from what I think was debris from nickle plated cases, this method cleaned it up.

If you have been sizing nickel cases, sometimes the plating flakes off and may be causing the scoring you see. Haven’t seen it in a while, but it may be the cause. As others have said, a light polishing may cure the problem.

Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast