Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: SP101 Trigger creep

Boolit Master

SP101 Trigger creep

I put a set of Wolf Springs in an SP101 several years ago. I have shot thousands of rounds and dry fired it just as much since. The trigger is light, smooth, and lights off CCI primers with no problems. It still has a fair bit of creep in it (more than my Brazilian revolvers). Any way of fixing this? I would prefer not to mess with the sear, but that is the only place I can see for improvement.

Boolit Master

i usually rework the hammer hook on them when doing a trigger job. there's a few other places that contribute to gritty feeling in the pull also.

Boolit Grand Master

I assume this is single action trigger you are referencing. A good gunsmith may be able to shorten the sear engagement. As odd as it sounds, a heavier spring might make the creep less noticeable, although the pull will be heavier.

Banned
    I also assume you are speaking about the single action pull and creep as the sear disengages from the hammer.

The SP101 is a great revolver and one of my favorites. They are solid guns but like most of the Ruger DA's, they can benefit from a little attention.

The first place I would start is shimming the trigger. The trigger group on the SP101 is strong and well made but the tolerances can be a bit on the loose side. Personally I would disassemble the trigger, polish the areas around the trigger pin and put it back together with the appropriate shims. If you're not comfortable with that type of work, you can add shims without completely pulling the trigger out of the trigger group. With a punch, you push the trigger pin just enough to get a shim on one side and then reverse the process on the other side.
    Triggershims.com are great people to deal with and they can help you:
    https://www.triggershims.com/

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

Shimming the trigger to reduce side play will not correct the trigger creep you are feeling BUT it can make the overall feeling of the action a bit better. A word of caution here - you don't want it super tight ! you just want to take up excessive side play. Shim it just enough to to remove any side play and stop there !

Now for the actual trigger creep. A gunsmith could reduce the amount of sear engagement and maybe polish the engagement surfaces but I would be very reluctant to do that. The SA pull on a snubnose just isn't something that needs to be target pistol grade.

I will recommend a tiny dab of white lithium grease on the sear. That high pressure sliding force on the sear surfaces is exactly what lithium greases are made to handle. That by itself may give you the solution you are looking for.

And if you've never seen this, here's a good reference:

https://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html

Boolit Grand Master

What if it isn't a snub nose? The Sp101 is offered in 3" and 4.2" barrels.

Boolit Master
    I second what Petrol and Powder posted , I have the 4.2" in 357 & 327 both were dealt with just like he said , only difference is I use moly grease .
    They don't feel like my older smith triggers but both are under 3lbs with short smooth creep and are really easy to shoot well. Smooth works for me rough creep not so much.

Boolit Master

Thanks! Keep it coming! It is a 3". I have used Lithium grease on the sear. Might have helped a little bit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    What if it isn't a snub nose? The Sp101 is offered in 3" and 4.2" barrels.
    Then it's not a snubnose..........?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Then it's not a snubnose..........?
    I was replying to the following statement.

"Now for the actual trigger creep. A gunsmith could reduce the amount of sear engagement and maybe polish the engagement surfaces but I would be very reluctant to do that. The SA pull on a snubnose just isn't something that needs to be target pistol grade. "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I was replying to the following statement.

"Now for the actual trigger creep. A gunsmith could reduce the amount of sear engagement and maybe polish the engagement surfaces but I would be very reluctant to do that. The SA pull on a snubnose just isn't something that needs to be target pistol grade. "
    I'm fully aware that the SP101 can have a barrel longer than 2.25". I am equally aware that some SP101's are fitted with 2.25" barrels.

Since the OP didn't offer the barrel length of his revolver until post #7, I was simply offering an opinion in reference to that possible configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I second what Petrol and Powder posted , I have the 4.2" in 357 & 327 both were dealt with just like he said , only difference is I use moly grease .
    They don't feel like my older smith triggers but both are under 3lbs with short smooth creep and are really easy to shoot well. Smooth works for me rough creep not so much.
    I have the same two also and I have them down at the gunsmith to light the trigger for double action . There lbs. is too much for me to squeeze the way I like.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I have the same two also and I have them down at the gunsmith to light the trigger for double action . There lbs. is too much for me to squeeze the way I like.
    I hope they come back to suite you the da pull on mine are high 7 to low 8lb range not the best I have had but very good and easy to hit with at defensive ranges they are both keepers for me..