Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a good venison heart recipe?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Anyone have a good venison heart recipe?

Every year I try and cook up my hearts and they all end up tasting the same and chewy! All I ever end up doing is cutting them up into thin slices and frying them. There’s got to be a better way. Let’s hear some good heart recipes!

Boolit Master

My wife usually throws the heart in the grind, but I decided to hang on to one this year. Going to cut it into chunks, marinate, kabob, and grill them over a wood fire. Had beef heart cooked that way in Peru-excellent!
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 12-05-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Apply heat than eat.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Moderator Emeritus

Trim fat/sinew, cube up in 1/4 inch pieces, make chili...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Trim fat/sinew, cube up in 1/4 inch pieces, make chili...
    Or stew, with onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, etc. just like ya would with beef.

You can also boil it, then slice thin & make sandwiches, or slice it thin, then douse in flour with salt & pepper & fry in bacon fat. Put on buttered bread for sandwiches, or on biscuits, same same.

You can even use it to make "Philly Cheese Steaks", if ya like them as well.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Well I just pulled both of them out of the freezer. I figured I’ll cut them up in thin slices and probably soak them in salt and vinegar for a day to pull the rest of the blood out and tenderize them. Then I’ll marinate them in milk for a little bit maybe fry them up like chicken Fried Street steak. I still have venison chili from two weeks ago in the fridge I’m getting tired of it. In the past I just fry them up and then they’re kind of chewy like gizzards. I’m hoping the vinegar soak will soften the heart up.

Boolit Master
    "Chicken Fried Steak" is a great example of what I was trying to say. I should have mentioned that when I was describing what we do for frying, some times.

Enjoy!

It is pretty tasty!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Slice into 1/3 inch thick cutlets, dredge in flower, fry in bacon fat and crisco.
    DO NOT over cook, it will become tough
    Serve with pancakes and fruit cocktail for breakfast

YUM
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Slice into 1/3 inch thick cutlets, dredge in flower, fry in bacon fat and crisco.
    DO NOT over cook, it will become tough
    Serve with pancakes and fruit cocktail for breakfast

YUM
    Mike

Omg! That will give KFC’s chicken and waffles a run for their money.lol

I just got done watching a meat eaters video on how to cut up a heart. I’m going to try and cut it the way they did so it looks like 3 pieces of steak instead of round slices like I always do.

Boolit Master

Pickle it, same as Beef heart.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

I trim it, baste with olive oil and herbs or an Italian dressing. I then wrap it in foil and bake with onion for 30- 40 minutes @ 350 F for a deer heart. I want it to be pink, not red and moist not dry. Slice and serve. I like to have a stove top dressing with it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I think I ruined this one......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161106_081359.jpg  

Boolit Master

Clean them up and slice length wise. Soak in a marinate of steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and olive oil over night. Get your grill hot and put the meat right on the grates with oils and peppers. Heart fajitas are my favorite after kill dinner.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A016A827-815F-493D-8220-D1E18746507A.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	252512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A9A7E90-69C2-40C8-AAD1-BA1E63909C68.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	252513
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I cleaned both of mine this morning and cut them up into steaks like I saw in the meat eater video I watched linked above. I almost wrecked the one I thought I shot too far back. I didn’t have my cheaters on when I gutted the deer and good thing because I would’ve thrown the heart out because I grazed it. I guess I blew the front of the liver out and out and not the back of the liver. I should’ve cut off the front half of the liver that was blown apart and saved it, oh well I still have one good liver from my buck which was the larger one. I guess that’s what you call bumping the heart? I thought I hit it pretty far back but apparently it was dangling further back and must have had a “hart on” that day.lol

I never tried cutting them up this way, they look like steaks! I followed the three chamber connections all the way down where the heart basically connects to each other and sliced along them like I was taking apart a puzzle. Then I filleted off the skin and then the thin layer of shiny pink valves until all the pieces look like a smooth piece of steak. I have them soaking in apple cider vinegar and salt to break down the enzymes and soften the meat a little and also to drain all the blood out of them. If I don’t they’ll go through me like water. I did cut that very thin layer of shiny film off the piece on the bottom right after the photo.

CW, you nailed a nice one there! Looks like about the exact same shot placement on my buck but on the other side than my bullet exited between its front legs in the chest. The door I hit that far back and it must of went through an angle and just skimmed the heart. Hopefully I can connect with her deer this afternoon with my muzzleloader so I have more heart meat! I need a start aiming higher because it seems like every year I always wreck the heart I just got lucky this year.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-07-2019 at 10:35 AM.

I tried the biggest piece tonight. I first soaked it and apple cider vinegar and salt for two days and I didn’t have any milk so I used almond milk to soak for a day and I don’t think it pulled enough vinegar taste out. It still tasted very good but you definitely I could taste something that tasted like Worcestershire sauce when I ate it. Still tasted very good just had a little bit of bite and it was very, very tender. Are used sure lunch cornmeal and rolled it in an egg a few times before I fried it up in virgin olive oil about a minute and a half each side. The internal temp was about 180. I’m gonna leave the rest of it marinade in my almond milk overnight and I diluted it with water hoping it’ll penetrate the rest a little better to drown out the rest of the vinegar taste. My guess is I need real milk as I’ve used in the past and it removes all vinegar traces from my previous soak. My next heart I’ll just soak in salt water till all the blood is out.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Same day you killed the deer, wash it well, slice it into roughly 3/4 inch steaks. Roll in flour with a bit of salt and pepper, cook in a good pan with 1/4 " or so of Canola or veg oil. When golden brown turn.

I just tried four more pieces of the heart after I switched to a different marinade and let it soak all morning in barbecue sauce and virgin olive oil. The marinade removed the vinegar taste that was left from the original soak. I fried it up a couple minutes on each side and it was soft as chicken liver. The thinner pieces that were cooked well done to me tasted a lot better and had zero evidence that it was heart meat. The two thicker pieces with pink in the middle had more of a unique,mild taste that you knew it was something different. The thicker pieces reminded me of veal. Definitely wanna cut them up in the very thin pieces and cook all the way through.

Banned

yup grind it up and add it to the burger pile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast