Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I inherited a Remington today

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It will make a great varmint/predator walking gun.

Boolit Master
    Best lookin’ “beater” I have seen in a long time!

Clean it and shoot it, the only to tell if it like I think it is ..... a diamond in the rough, or not.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I've always liked the 222 better than 223 or 222mag. It held records for years. I always thought it was due to the longer neck. I have 222 and 223 in keeper rack. I've owned a good many 222s all Remington BAs except for a few Savage 340s. My keeper 222 is a Rem 722/ K10x. This rifle was bought new in 50s by an uncle. I've had it for 35yrs since his passing. He had a cheap Universal scope on it and I put the K10 on it when I first got it. It shoots as well if not better than 700s and I've had 788s that all shot as good as 700s. Uncle worked up hid load back then and I have never changed it for this rifle. A 55gr Hornady over 24.0gr of BL-C2 at 3200fps. It is my main walk around varmit gun. My keepers were all heavy barrel, Varmit stocked rifles with high powered scopes.
    When Ruger #3 came out I wanted one for walk around gun. My wife bought me one in 223. It's a nice rifle and shots well with 55gr Hornady SX over 26.5gr IMR-4895 at 3000fps. The #3 is not a good rifle to hunt with a scope over 6x for me. The butts are to short. The 722s, 788s and 700s are much better walk around guns for me.

My brother had a .222 700 ADL. It loved the Sierra 52bthp over 4198. Every varmint within 300 yards was in trouble and a deer's neck was easy up close. Everyone shooting a short barreled .223 is familiar with .222 level power if you think about it. The 722 is at the top of my list for a .222, followed by the 700 and 788.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    The 222 is one fast bullet. I like it better than the 223, to bad its more costly to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I bought a new 788 in 222 back in the early 70's. I now regret trading it off as it was very accurate, mild and not fussy at all. It is what I call a happy round.

See you have a proper period scope on it. I like that ,I have an old Ruger 77V with a K12. Just seems to fit.

Dave

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    One of my bucket list guns is a Remington 722 in .222.
    Coincidently, I recently picked up one at an auction for a whopping $125. The stock was pretty dinged up, but I have it stripped and refinished with hand rubbed tung oil. A little touch up Oxphoblue and a replacement front sight and it’s looking pretty good. It came with an old steel fixed power scope with no markings that I will likely replace. Can’t wait to shoot it come spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Banned
    Spring is not coming fast enough.

I have one of the first years 700ADL in 222. Very good shooting little carbine . Killed a boatload of woodchucks.

Banned
    Shawlerbrook, that little pencil barrel kind of had me concerned about accuracy. But, all the posts here have been encouraging that the rifle is capable of very good accuracy.

My first centerfire rifle was a Savage 340, it was all I could afford as an 18 year old. It shot like many 340's do. Ok, but nothing to get excited about. The second was a beautiful Herter's J-9. Best it would do was 1 inch at 100 yds. Getting a borescope quickly showed a big probelematic bomb crater in the otherwise spotless barrel.
    I am getting anxious to try the Remington out, in just 3.45 more months.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rickys2 View Post
    The 222 is one fast bullet. I like it better than the 223, to bad its more costly to shoot.
    If you handload it's no more costly to shoot than a .223, might even be a little cheaper.

Banned

We had a family friend when I was growing up who farmed for a living and pretty much only ever used one rifle, a 722 in .222. He saved up and bought it as a young man when they first came out and put a Zeiss scope on it if I recall correctly, big money for a young guy like him then. That guy was one of the steadiest nerved rifle shots I ever knew and he killed darn near everything with it including several deer every year. Always shot them at the base of the skull and never had one run. Lots of deer, lots of shot opportunities, the patience to pass on anything except a sure shot and he wasn't picky, he was honestly feeding his family, no trophy hunting. A .222 will do it if you're up to it.

My little 340 hasn't exactly wowed me with accuracy either, a 722 is on my bucket list for one day.

Boolit Master

I have a lowly 788 that I have yet to really get shooting.
    Hope I can find a good load with AA2200 since I have a boat load of it.
    The 2200 seems like it is pretty close in burn rate to 4198 so maybe I will stumble on something.
    Right now it is using Red Dot to send some little (maker unidentified) 35 grain tipped bullets out for "varmint" duty.
    Hope to find a load with 225415 too.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I have a lowly 788 that I have yet to really get shooting.
    Hope I can find a good load with AA2200 since I have a boat load of it.
    The 2200 seems like it is pretty close in burn rate to 4198 so maybe I will stumble on something.
    Right now it is using Red Dot to send some little (maker unidentified) 35 grain tipped bullets out for "varmint" duty.
    Hope to find a load with 225415 too.
    I have had a few 788s over the years and am a fan. Never cared for most things Remington, including the 700s, but I do like the 788s and 721/722s. Current ones I have are a 6mm which I'll keep til I die, and one of the short versions they made the last year or two of production in .308. I was sorely tempted to pick up a regular one in .308 a few days ago at an LGS, but didn't. Might still if it hangs around a while.

Never saw a 788 that wasn't a shooter. I'm pretty sure you'll like it when you get to working with it

Banned
    The last Remington I owned was a 700 Classic in 221 Fireball. That was back in 2001. That was one durn nice rifle, pretty to look at and accurate as any rifle could be. Low noise, no recoil and accurate spells fun to shoot.

Wish I could have another like it.

Boolit Master
    I also have a 722, 222 with a K4 weaver, and I can't attest to the accuracy of them. If I was told I could only have one rifle, this would be it! I haven't used it on deer, but have no doubt that it would be adequate, might be slow for lung shots, but neck and head would piled up dead!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12