Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I inherited a Remington today

Banned

I inherited a Remington today

Primarily I would like to find out what year it was made. Serial # is 60XXX

It's a 700 BDL in 222 that has seen some hard use and high humidity storage.

Ken

Search 'Remington Society of America'

There should be some letters & codes on the barrel that give you a letter or two that corresponds to the year of manufacture.

The Rem. Society web page has the chart to tell which one is which year.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Good information, thank you

Ken

Moderator Emeritus

Two great gents -- John (US Navy, Ret.) and Mark -- have a site which offers serial numbers to manufacturing dates on several manufacturers, including Remington. If you wish, click on URL here below, and scroll down pane on left side until you see, Manufacture Date. Then, simply click Remington. Albeit there are other sources, I generally try this one as my first, "go-to" option as it is both very quick and accurate.
    https://www.oldguns.net
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Bub
    I have a very used one that has seen decades of trips to SD. The first gun I ever shot cast in. Enjoy and use frequently just for the fun of it.

"BLACKPOWDER X"
    Is the key to decipher the three letter code on Remington barrels. But I usually just call 800 243 9700 for customer service. Give them the serial number and they will tell you when it was made. Very easy and quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-06-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy

If the bore is pitted or unusable, you don’t care for the .222. It shares the same bolt face as a .223. I once bought an unusable .17 Remington, ( remember those ? . ) and had a .223 barrel screwed on.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Two great gents -- John (US Navy, Ret.) and Mark -- have a site which offers serial numbers to manufacturing dates on several manufacturers, including Remington. If you wish, click on URL here below, and scroll down pane on left side until you see, Manufacture Date. Then, simply click Remington. Albeit there are other sources, I generally try this one as my first, "go-to" option as it is both very quick and accurate.
    https://www.oldguns.net
    BEST!
    geo
    Thanks for sharing the link!

Banned
    The letter code is K, making it a 1963 which is right where I thought it may be. Lots of brown freckles on the barrel came off with some scrubbing with stainless pot scrubber.

Looking down the bore I don't see anything growing in it. Not dark either. I will scrub it next.
    The stock is a mess. No dents, just handling and water damage. The finish is gone from area around the butt plate. It will have to be scrapped, sanded and refinished.
    The barrel is short, about 21 inches or so and very thin. A real pencil barrel.
    If it won't shoot then a new barrel can be installed.
    I have the rifle because it is a 222, my favorite cartridge. I like it much better than the 223.
    It's a winter project, so no hurry.

First year production m700s had 20" barrels. I'll bet it will shoot fine. I like the triple deuce better as well in a bolt gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Ken, pm headed your way.

Banned

All dressed for hunting and it's too dang cold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191211_144119.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	252811

The bore was fouled very well. Shoving a tight patch through it revealed lots of tight spots. A couple of hours with Butch's and JB Bore Paste and patches slide free and easy. But, that's a lot of stroking a cleaning rod.
    Stock is stripped, stained and finished. Weaver K-10 mounted. Next big step is getting brass and deciding which press to use. By the time I get all that decided it will be spring.

The thermometer is struggling to stay above 0 this week.

Those boards protruding from the front of the bench are "bread boards" for mounting presses.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Pressman, I don’t work for these people,but IT&D Custom guns in Minerva, Ohio has Remington 700 takeoff barrels. They have other brands also, but I never bought any as the 700 series barrels are almost universal in their application!! You could call them and ask about a new takeoff barrel in whatever .22 caliber they have on hand. AND, if you own a lathe and know how you can machine Remington 700 barrels to fit almost any action thread! ( got a few crossbred rifles that work wonderful! ) . Just another option to buying an after-market barrel. Last barrel I bought from them,( I have a good selection ) was a 26” Sendero barrel in .308 Win. It was new, and was $98 shipped. Might be able to buy a 22-250 barrel, set it back , rechamber,and have a new gun! Good luck to you however you go. Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    I have to shoot it first. 222 is my favorite cartridge and the reason this one followed me home. Though I have to admit the 20 inch pencil barrel would look better as a 24 inch semi-varmint.
    Spring shooting season is only 4 months away.

Banned

One of my bucket list guns is a Remington 722 in .222. So far, the only .222 I ever owned is a Savage 340 and it hasn't measured up to the .222's reputation for accuracy yet.

Boolit Master
    Back when I had a rem 40x single shot in the triple deuce THE powder was IMR 4198 and the bullet was the old rem 55 grain match bullet which is no longer made. Primer was the copper colored Rem 7 1/2 which is still available. Too many shooters were trying to make a 223 out of the 222 so Rem brought it out. Held all benchrest records until the PPC cartridges came out. Frank

Banned
    Back when. As a lad in high school and just graduated I wanted a rifle and all the gun magazines were talking about the 222 and the 222 Magnum. The 223 was out there courtesy of Armalite and their AR-15.
    I read and dreamed and price shopped, before settling on the Savage 340 as it was all I could afford at the time. The Remington 700 was the one rifle to strive to own, someday. That day has finally arrived.
    Now, if spring would just hurry up and get here.....

Boolit Master

For my Rem 722 with factory 26" barrel
    20.5 grains of 4198, Rem 7 1/2 primer, Sierra 52 grain hollowpoint match bullet
    SWEET!!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    pressman , last year I bought a 700 chambered in 30-06 . Got it for $300 because the barrel looked so bad the shop let it go for use as an action . It took lots of clean up but it shoots M-2 ball way better than you'd think it should . It even has a few pits still in the barrel , a patch runs reasonably smooth though .

Your rifle may yet surprise you .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast