Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: llama .380 handgun Question

Boolit Master

llama .380 handgun Question

any opinions or experience firing the llama .380 semi-auto patterned after the 1911?
    thanks
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

They're fun to shoot, reasonably accurate, reasonably reliable. There are two types, which you may or may not know; the original type operates exactly like a 1911 .45 auto with a locked breech utilizing a swinging link under the barrel and top barrel lug. The second, later type is a straight blowback action. Externally they look the same. Because they are a miniaturized 1911 some folks seem prefer other designs, but if you like a 1911 you're pretty sure to like the Llama .380. The original Llamas were produced in Spain for many years, but the company went out of business about 20 years ago, and apparently they are now being produced in the Philippines. Mine are the Spanish production, and I have no experience with the current model, but have heard nothing derogatory about them.

One of my earliest pistols was a Llama .389. The nickle was coming off and the bore was well pitted; older than dirt and I had it in the early 60s. This one was very small and fit in my shirt pocket but was a true copy of a 1911. I shot the snot out of it and gained quite a respect for the .380. It went down the road when it would no longer remain cocked but it inspired me to snatch up a Colt Government .380 when I ran into one about 1986.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is about 25 years old and save for the fact that it frequently jams on the last round, it is a pretty good gun. It is the later, blow back version, the IIIa. As long as you can get’er done with 7 shots, you’re good to go. If you need the eighth, or need to reload in a hurry, might be a bad day.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have one in,32 auto. works good no problems at all it is a good pocket gun .

Boolit Master
    I have had several through the years none were shot much but cycled reliably.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 380s and one 32, all of which are 70s/80s vintage. They are true mini 1911 designs and great shooters!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

RIA and Browning both produce baby .380’s now. I have handled them and they closely feel like the early Llama’s.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I had one it was a .380 like a 1911. That was it, Small easy to hide still a SA Auto.