Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearts and livers and other organ meats

Hearts and livers and other organ meats

I've been working at the deer processors for probably 12 years now tonight was the first time someone requested that the heart and liver and kidney meat be ground up with the rest of the meat . He had them in a bag inside the carcass . Was a neck shot so all was still in good shape . I know lots of folk eat the organ meats from cow but like I said first time hearing anyone want to eat deer organ meat . Ok so who here eats it ? As is or in with the ground meat ? Taste any different ? Thinking about grinding it up in mine if I get one this year
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

A buddy did.
    We'd gone hunting for years before he wanted them. So, next trip out, we saved them for him.

Later on, his wife talked about different ways to cook them, and he called me for something.
    In the background his wife said, "Hey, ask him if he wants to come over and have dinner and I'll cook them".

I told him, after some hemming & hawwwing,,,, I really didn't care for organ meats, but thank you anyway.

He held the phone away, and yelled back over to his wife, "Ed. says he don't eat guts"!!
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-05-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have been keeping the Heart & Liver separate since I was taught to gut/field dress & butcher our own as a lad in the 60's, and for me as a hunter, since the 1970s. We eat it separate as well, although I have friends that grind it into the ground venison. All of course, if there is liver or heart not torn apart with the shot that killed the deer. Shot apart gets left with the guts...

We make "Deer Heart Stew" & Heart meat sandwiches from the heart boiled & sliced thin, & treat the deer liver the same as pork or beef liver. ( IMO, The Heart is just another muscle, not any different than the other muscles, only more tender. )

With liver or even the heart sometimes cut thin, we fry it floured, seasoned with salt & pepper & maybe some garlic powder or garlic minced, in bacon grease, then served with sauteed onions & buttered bread or biscuits( "real butter", not margarine( plastic. ), to us , is a "must").

Of course, everyone is different, but we like it that way & will likely not change. My boys & grandboys like it, so I think it will continue to be the tradition we keep.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I eat the heart. short of it being far more tender you can't tell any diferance.. Tast and texture are the same
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    I will eat the heart if it is in one piece upon removal. It is very tender.

Boolit Master
    I've had both, many people eat them.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I save my hearts and livers most the the time if I didn’t shoot them. I like deer liver. The heart I’ve never made it to my likings yet. I have two hearts and a liver from last weeks harvests I have frozen. The liver I soaked in vinegar and salt water brine for a coupe days and then in milk for a day or two. It makes it soft and doesn’t taste strong. I blew half the liver away on the Buck I posted last week so I tossed the rest of it for the coyotes, fox, raccoons, skunks, and possums.

Prior to starting that new brine soak I picked up last season I would just fry the liver up and watch the blood boil out of it and cook. I would cook it till it was literally crunchy on the outside. The liver would always taste strong...kind of reminded me of hay and deer dung.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-05-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I like both the heart and liver but I would not grind liver and add to hamburger. Hearts no issue but the taste and color of liver is not a good mix with hamburger in my opinion. Liver is reserved to liver and onions at my house.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I normally save the heart and cook it for that evening's meal, or the next. The liver I usually leave, but this year I'm planning to save it and dehydrate it as treats for our dog.

Boolit Master
    venison liver taste like beef or pork liver.
    yeah, I have done it

Boolit Master
    If you are worried at all about agri chems causing cancer, I sure wouldn't eat any of the liver from one around here! Farmers spray and the deer browse rite behind the spray rig. Roll your bones, take your chances I guess. I don't eat organ meat from deer.

Boolit Buddy
    The heart is just another muscle and doesn't taste any different. The liver is liver, tastes just like beef liver. I haven't tried the kidney. I hear you have to 'boil the pizz out of it', I'll pass on that.

Boolit Master

Deer heart & liver are similar to that of a cow though a tad gamier IMHO.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Bub
    I can't remember not saving the heart unless it was injured. I have an uncle that takes the tongue too.

I soak the liver over night in milk, powder with flour, and fry in butter with onions. To me, deer liver is much like calf's liver, mild and tender. It's important that you don't over cook the liver (medium to medium rare is about right), for it will turn into "shoe leather".
    I've tried the heart a few time and have never found a recipe I liked. I
    think the term, "eating organ meat", gives one the idea of why people don't care for squirrel because some folks refer to them as "tree rats". There are a lot of cultures that believe you are wasting the best part of the animal when you throw out the organs, to include the intestines (I'll pass on the last!). I'll share most of the other organ meat with mother natures "clean up crew" - they have to eat too!

I will not eat the liver, but dad loves it. I save it for him and so do my hunting buddies. Hearrts are great. Save them from small game and birds in addition to the deer.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    I always treat the dog to the bird liver and heart. He doesn't move a muscle until done cleaning bird so I am pretty sure he likes them. I used to go to KFC in Platteville WI on Tues. they chicken hearts and gizzards from 7pm until 9pm moved 20 yrs. ago. Yes the Colonels Secret recipe and all

Boolit Grand Master

Cajun's don't let much go to waste , eat pretty much everything ... I like liver and heart but you have to know how to cook it .

There are two things I draw the line at ... booty noodles ( aka Chitterlings ) and Chicken Feet .

I will admit to consuming Pickled Pigs Feet but that's different . Not much meat on Chicken's Feet and cleaning them is a pain .
    Chitlins smell funky and my food rule is ..."if it doesn't smell good , don't eat it ! "
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Have many friends that eat deer hearts and I have eaten quite a few livers, but not ground into other meat.

Boolit Buddy
    I sometimes fry the heart with a flour breading, the liver has never been much of a fan. I always take them my dogs love the heart and liver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast