Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hearts and livers and other organ meats

Banned

yes sir! Ill take spam any day over liver
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Liver or spam?? , no contest pop the can open. Now there is a good thread with heart recipes, gonna have to try a couple new ideas.

Banned

So whats the vinegar suppose to do??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I just tried the biggest piece of my heart tonight. I first marinated it in vinegar and salt for two days and I didn’t have any milk so I marinated it in almond milk for a day. I can still taste vinegar which almost tasted like Worcestershire sauce so I gave it a good bite. Gonna soak the rest another 24 hours to hopefully drown the rest of the vinegar out. It was very tender. I cooked it about a minute and a half on each side in virgin olive oil till the temp was 180°. I had some cornmeal short lunch that I used and maybe that was the zing I was tasting? I rolled it in an egg and then cornmeal about three times and then into the frying pan.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Break down the enzymes to make the meat so soft you can cut it with a fork. It would’ve turned out OK but the problem is is I checked what milk substitute that I used which was soymilk and not real milk so it didn’t penetrate the meat. It actually looked like it was solid white and started Curdling when I checked it this morning. I washed it completely off and stuck it in a Ziploc bag with some barbecue sauce mixed with virgin olive oil. I’ll let it sit for the afternoon and fry the rest straight up tonight. I brined three complete deer this way last year with using regular milk in it pulls all the vinegar taste back out of the meat so I’m sure this was a fluke because I used soy milk.

Boolit Grand Master

We always used to save the heart, liver and brain on the deer we shot, brains and eggs were always a favorite, haven't had any since early 90's, CWD you know. The wife cooked bear pancreas once, not bad but never tried pancreas or thymus from deer or elk and I love sweet breads. Now usually just heart or liver, last liver came from a rutting mulie buck my daughter shot, probably the mildest liver I've ever eaten.
    Charter Member #148

I just had four more deer heart pieces for lunch. I definitely like the thinner pieces better. I fried it for about two minutes on each side and check the internal temperature and it was about 150°. The two bigger pieces that still had pink in the middle had what I would refer to as a mild heart or liver taste. Not strong at all but just a unique type of taste. I liked the thinner pieces. They just tasted like any other good pieces of meat that you to have no idea what kind of animal or cut of meat it was. The centerpieces also had no pink in the middle so it was completely cooked “well done” all the way through. I’m gonna make sure to cut the rest of thicker pieces thinner before I fry them up. And I forgot to mention the vinegar taste is all gone. These pieces were almost as soft as chicken liver.

Banned

where do you guys get all this tough venison. Front shoulders, shanks, and other what I would call tough cuts are ground. Steaks from back straps and the good muscles on the hind quarters of the whitetail I shoot sure don't need tenderizing. Anything on the border line goes through the steak cuber. But I can cook you some backstraps pealed out of a deer 10 minutes ago on the grill that you can cut with a fork! You must really dislike the taste of venison if you have to soak it in vinegar, milk then marinade it in olive oil and barbeque sauce. Salt and pepper and fry it in butter or at most coat it with floor first. Ive even ate some of those Wisconson deer and they tasted the same to me as the Michigan ones. Cant figure what your doing to make them taste that bad! Heck I wish there was something I could put on bland beef to make it taste like venison! One things for sure you don't have to worry about me soaking anything in SOY MILK. Don't even know what it is or what its used for.
    Break down the enzymes to make the meat so soft you can cut it with a fork. It would’ve turned out OK but the problem is is I checked what milk substitute that I used which was soymilk and not real milk so it didn’t penetrate the meat. It actually looked like it was solid white and started Curdling when I checked it this morning. I washed it completely off and stuck it in a Ziploc bag with some barbecue sauce mixed with virgin olive oil. I’ll let it sit for the afternoon and fry the rest straight up tonight. I brined three complete deer this way last year with using regular milk in it pulls all the vinegar taste back out of the meat so I’m sure this was a fluke because I used soy milk.

I just tried the biggest piece of my heart tonight. I first marinated it in vinegar and salt for two days and I didn’t have any milk so I marinated it in almond milk for a day. I can still taste vinegar which almost tasted like Worcestershire sauce so I gave it a good bite. Gonna soak the rest another 24 hours to hopefully drown the rest of the vinegar out. It was very tender. I cooked it about a minute and a half on each side in virgin olive oil till the temp was 180°. I had some cornmeal short lunch that I used and maybe that was the zing I was tasting? I rolled it in an egg and then cornmeal about three times and then into the frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    where do you guys get all this tough venison. Front shoulders, shanks, and other what I would call tough cuts are ground. Steaks from back straps and the good muscles on the hind quarters of the whitetail I shoot sure don't need tenderizing. Anything on the border line goes through the steak cuber. But I can cook you some backstraps pealed out of a deer 10 minutes ago on the grill that you can cut with a fork! You must really dislike the taste of venison if you have to soak it in vinegar, milk then marinade it in olive oil and barbeque sauce. Salt and pepper and fry it in butter or at most coat it with floor first. Ive even ate some of those Wisconson deer and they tasted the same to me as the Michigan ones. Cant figure what your doing to make them taste that bad! Heck I wish there was something I could put on bland beef to make it taste like venison! One things for sure you don't have to worry about me soaking anything in SOY MILK. Don't even know what it is or what its used for.

Its not the taste. Its the blood that goes right through causing massive diarrhea. I think you and I went a few rounds about this last year. Do you want to invite me over so I can prove a point and make sure your bathroom door is open? If I don’t soak my venison for a couple of days in this brine i’ll literally mess my pants with in about 10 to 15 minutes from eating deer. Been that way for almost 5 decades. Bad genetics I guess. I’m sure not going to shoot a deer and not eat it. Every time in years past I could cut back straps and tenderloins right off my dear frame up in a couple minutes Solar solar soft they melt in your mouth but you better have some TP sitting there because were in a couple of minutes it goes right through me like water. It’s almost like an allergic reaction or food poisoning. I even check with my temp gauge for internal temp before I eat my meat and it doesn’t help. So I have absolutely no choice to do this unless I want to crap my pants every time I eat deer and that’s not an option.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Banned

Ya I guess in that case I would too. Funny thing is most people get constipated from rare meat because blood is hard to digest. My wife cant even do pink meat because it binds here up so bad.
    Its not the taste. Its the blood that goes right through causing massive diarrhea. I think you and I went a few rounds about this last year. Do you want to invite me over so I can prove a point and make sure your bathroom door is open? If I don’t soak my venison for a couple of days in this brine i’ll literally mess my pants with in about 10 to 15 minutes from eating deer. Been that way for almost 5 decades. Bad genetics I guess. I’m sure not going to shoot a deer and not eat it. Every time in years past I could cut back straps and tenderloins right off my dear frame up in a couple minutes Solar solar soft they melt in your mouth but you better have some TP sitting there because were in a couple of minutes it goes right through me like water. It’s almost like an allergic reaction or food poisoning. I even check with my temp gauge for internal temp before I eat my meat and it doesn’t help. So I have absolutely no choice to do this unless I want to crap my pants every time I eat deer and that’s not an option.

Yeah I get the same effect bound up for least a day or so after eatin venison
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123