Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: # 9 percussion caps ?

# 9 percussion caps ?

I bought a antique SXS double barreled pistol that has London proof marks and small nipples. I have tried # 10 and they are to big and can't be pinched to stay put.
    I have read that caps come in sizes from 9 - 13 but can only find 10 and 11's and wonder are mine # 9 or something else ?
    Anyone have a idea what might work ?

Jedman

Boolit Master

Replace the nipples with #10's.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Replace the nipples with #10's.
    I agree with this. I can't recall ever seeing a #9 in all my years of shooting muzzle loaders. #10 may even be hard to find in some areas, most common is #11. Dixie Gun Works is the only place I can think of you MIGHT find #9's.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have the same problem with some percussion revolvers, they too need #9 caps for the original nipples. Yes, in the old days they did make caps from #9 to #13 plus musket and possibly others when percussion ignition was the thing and I remember seeing all the sizes of them many years ago but unfortunately it appears they are no longer manufactured. Standardization you know. I've looked for several years for a tin or two of the #9's and haven't found any. I've given some thought to making a punch and die set to see if I can size some #10's down to fit without having them go off. If you can find nipples for #10's or 11's to fit your gun that will be your best alternative.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I bought a very old tin of caps and I'm pretty sure they're #9s. I'll have to check.

This is from an old COLT INDUSTRIES - FIREARMS DIVISION pamphlet:
    "Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although as different sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom so they will stay on the nipples..."

Also from the pamphlet:
    "FFG black powder is best for the large and medium-sized revolvers, and FFFG for the small pocket models, but any grade that is available will work reasonably well. DON'T USE SMOKELESS POWDER."

I tried to make a make a nipple wrench yesterday from a head bolt from a car engine. Lathe turned it to diameter , drilled the center and milled a slot about 3/16 wide to fit the flats on the nipples.
    When I tried it the thin sides bent and I was not able to loosen the nipples. They are a very small size and may be corroded to where removing them will take some heat or a stronger wrench.
    I am going to a gun show today and will see if anyone is selling a nipple wrench for a revolver that might fit. I would like to find nipples that fit # 11 caps as I have plenty of them now.
    The thread size is almost for sure a metric and is small but I need to get a nipple out first to see what it is and maybe if I have to I can D&T it to a larger modern size ?

Jedman

Boolit Master
    fire one barrel at a time with a #11cap then cap the other one. it will get you out of the woods and allow you to shoot the old girl.

I bought me a nipple wrench at the gun show and was able to remove the nipples. They are really small nipples, the thread OD is only 5.25 mm and the threads look like square threads ?
    I ordered a pair of 6 X 1 thread # 11 nipples when I get them and have the time to do the work I will get a few pics. I believe there is enough meat to drill and tap for the larger nipples.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Just curious - do the barrels unscrew for loading?