Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: WTB .458 win mag dummy cartridge

Boolit Buddy

WTB .458 win mag dummy cartridge

Ohio has legalized straight wall rifle cartridges for deer. I called the game warden about .458 win mag. He hemmed and hawed but didn’t give me a go ahead. I passed on a rifle due to his uncommitted answer that wasn’t an answer.

I want one dummy round expended primer or no primer. It can be a culled case that you aren’t quite sure of to reload for you. I’m mailing it to Ohio DNR with a letter asking for clarification.

Load it down with trail boss with cast boolits for eastern white tail.

Would ten bucks shipped work?

2. 12-04-2019, 10:20 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

3. 12-04-2019, 10:28 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

4. 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

5. 12-04-2019, 10:40 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

Banned

I can probably come up with a dummy cartridge for you, I know I threw a few cases in the scrap bucker, just gotta see if any of them would be suitable. Any preference on bullet style?

Boolit Buddy
    No preference at all. I just need in writing a go ahead from ODNR.

8. 12-04-2019, 11:05 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

Banned

I'll look around for a suitable case and bullet and get a dummy together.

Doesn't the Ohio DNR have some kind of written criteria of what constitutes a straight walled case legally? Seems straightforward enough. I believe some states who require it have a case length limit which rules out the .45-70. If Ohio is like that, it may cut out the .458.

Boolit Buddy
    I can help you out if richdog66 can't. 5744 works well in my 458 with the 405 noe boolits I bought quite a few big bore rifles planning to move to Alaska. After a few trips up I'll stick with a 338 I do have a Winchester 458 I'm gonna sell if your still looking

Boolit Grand Master
    Happy to. PM me your name, address, etc. I turned my Ruger #1 .458WM into a .458Lott, and I tame that monster down to mild .45-70 with a cast 415 gr., wide meplat, hunter for hunting whitetail & black bear. Pure joy to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Ohio has a list of cartridges for pistol hunting. The deer legal for rifle simply says straight walled .357 to .50 for rifle. No 350 legend is technically legal. Bore is .356. There are .358 Legend barrels for an AR though. It simply uses .358 bullets in .350 legend brass. Load data remains the same.

ETA. Game warden was wobbly about the belted magnum case. The cartridge is straight walled but he was not gonna give me an answer. The belt bugged him.

Boolit Man
    Isn't .450 Marlin explicitly listed as an allowed cartridge? It has a belted case with somewhat similar dimensions to the .458.

Boolit Buddy
    Unlike the handguns Ohio has no listed cartridges for deer. Just .357 to .50 straight walled case. Two guys stepped up and have solved my dilemma.

I will post a thread in hunting and dm a link to that thread for all that posted here, once ODNR gives me a written answer.

I remember reading aeons ago about downloading.458 for whitetail deer and other eastern game. That’s the beauty of hand loads. You can tailor the round to the game. .223 in bottleneck states can and does take deer ethically. 69-75 grain soft points and then the same rifle can get groundhogs with 40 grain bullets.

I may never hunt a Kodiak bear or a Musk ox but if I wished to I’d have the rifle.

15. 12-08-2019, 01:34 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

A belted magnum is not in the same performance class as conventional straight-walled rimmed rifle cartridges.

And I doubt an Ohio DNR official would care what ballistics a citizen would claim they would reload to. Because a conservation officer can't check the performance of a reload in the field. They will decide based on factory ammunition ballistics, and typically care most of all about "ultimate range" of a fired round, since that is what threatens the local populace when rifles are used in densely populated states.

Here's the list of SWC rifles that Ohio has published as acceptable:
    Specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for use during Ohio’s 2014 deer-gun and youth deer-gun seasons.

These specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles may have no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined while deer hunting.
    From http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-inf...eer-gun-season

I feel sorry for your situation, but buying a new rifle that meets the statues would be the easy and probably cheaper way to proceed.

Here's the thoughts of one DNR official that pretty well echos the same line of reasoning:

"Straight-walled cartridges are comparable to muzzleloaders and slug guns," said Division of Wildlife District Three manager Peter Novotny. “We listened to the Buckeye Firearms Association and hunters who wanted to use these rifles. Basically, we were allowing pistols in these calibers to hunt deer, so let’s allow it for rifles."
    Novotny noted that Ohio has not, and probably never will, make high-powered rifles legal for hunting deer in the state, mainly because of its terrain and close proximity of urban areas.

"In Ohio, we do not want to go down that road,” he said. “We’re comfortable with (the new regulations).”
    From https://www.the-daily-record.com/spo...r-hunting-guns

So, mailing them a case would not seem likely to "make your case"
    Last edited by garrisonjoe; 12-08-2019 at 09:18 PM.