RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: GREAT NEW 22 scope avaiable

GREAT NEW 22 scope avaiable

After first trying Tasco, then Weaver and discovering why as a hunter, I should not be doing that, I have used Leupold scopes exclusively for about the last 50 years. I love them and have NEVER had any problems from any of them. But they are heavy, especially when mounted on a light, short, 22 rifle. Based on a recommendation from my brother, for the past month I have been shooting a new SWFA 2.5 X 10 x 32 Ultra Light rimfire scope with paralax factory adjusted for 50 yards mounted on an Anchutz 164. That rig is deadly for head shots on squirrels out to 50 yards. I like it so much, I bought another scope like it Monday to go on a very accurate original Winchester model 63. The scope only weighs 9.5 ounces. For any of you who want a light weight, bright, clear, high quality scope designed for 22 sporting or hunting, this one works better that any other I have tried, including my Leupolds, and it allows you to keep the light weight, quick handling qualities of 22 rifles designed to be used for hunting or plinking. If weight or size on a scope does not matter to you, there are certainly many others available. I am going to put one of these SWFA's 2.5 X 10 scopes on a Browning 22 SA next month. Big, long, heavy scopes just destroy all the good handling and balance of a small, light weight rifle. This SWFA scope does not do that. If any of you boys are interested, SWFA has a life time guarentee and it will transfer to anyone. If you don't like it and have not mounted it on a rifle, they will refund your money, or transfer the value to another SWFA scope. It's your choice. There is a good review of the scope on You Tube done by Cyclops. Check SWFA out at their company website and buy direct from them if you want to keep all the quick and easy handling qualities of your little 22 rifles.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 12-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

I don't know if Cast Bullets allows links to other sites, so I did not include one to the review on the SWFA scope yesterday, but today I'll try it and see what happens. For the review of the 2.5 x 10 x 32 ultra light scope, CLICK HERE -->> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMg_tKSSX9Q

Well it works, but if this is not allowed, ( some boards allow links and some do not) my appologies to the moderator because I'm a dumb axx and didn't know any better.

HERE is the link to the SWFA web site -->> https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x...ire-scope.html
    They only have three left in stock, so if you want one, you are already burning daylight. They deliver by UPS in three days or less if you order before noon, or at least they have on the two I have.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 12-05-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Master

I like a standard plex or duplex reticle, but I would like to a ballistic reticle of some sort in order to shoot out to 125-150 yards for plinking. For a squirrel hunting scope on an accurate rifle for 50 yards and in, this would be hard to beat. Price is a touch steep, but quality optics aren't cheap.

Boolit Grand Master
    People think I am nuts putting $300+ scopes on hunting rifles but I want not only good optics but some abuse resistance on a gun I hunt game with. Just not in my budget to spend that kind of money of a .22 scope. I just bought a 3-9 Vortex Diamondback for $150 to put on either my old Anschutz bolt action or the M52 Winchester sporter, and it seem like a decent scope for less than 50% of the SWFA. But it almost twice the weight of the SWFA.

Wish I could find an affordable but decent 6x scope for a couple of .22's. That is just about the right power for busting critters and target shooting. The SWFA's are on sale now for $200 and they are very tempting. If I had not bought the Vortex, I would have got one.
    Don Verna

I also perfer a duplex reticule, but that's just me. But I don't do any so called "long range" shooting because I can't see well enough to do any of that.

Every time you open the front or back cover of a glossy gun magazine, you see a full page color ad for Kimber Handguns. From having been in business for 40 years, I can tell you THAT COST A LOT OF MONEY. Every Kimber product sold has that cost incorporated into its price and the consumer pays for it. Leupold isn't far behind in it's advertising and has been so successful that almost every rifle you see advertised, and no matter which brand or model, it has a Leupold gold ring scope mounted on it. That is because they are playing off of the Leupold reputation, which is well deserved, for quality scopes. They associate that quality with their rifle and they do that subliminally and for free.

SWFA does not advertise. If they do, I have never seen any of it. They don't have any instructions or marketing materials discuised as INFORMATION or INSTRUCTIONS packaged with their scopes in fancy boxes. They don't include a cloth with their LOGO printed on it. They don't include scope covers of any kind. They come in a plain white box containing a scope and the difference between the advertising and marketing money goes into the quality materials and construction methods used in the scope. It may only be 8 or 10 dollars per scope, but that is the difference in the price of standard grade glass and premium quality BAK-4 HD glass for the scope lens. It is the difference in the highest quality lens non-reflective coatings and a lesser quality coating.

The internals of that light weight SWFA scope are all glued together in one tight unit instead of using screws and brackets holding all the internals together. They copied that manfacturing technique from Nightforce scopes which are high dollar and used by serious people all around the world for serious work. It does save a lot of weight yet retains a very high degree of dependability and reliability.

But I like that particular little light weight scope because I shoot light weight 22 squirrel rifles and I want to keep the handling and balance qualities on my rifle after I mount a scope on it and because of my eyesight at 78 years old, I HAVE TO HAVE a scope to be able to shoot at all. But if I didn't have to have a scope, you can bet that I would not have one and killed squirrels for 40 years before I had to go to scopes. So this SWFA light weight scope is the first quality made, variable power scope I have found that is light enough to make a difference. It does to me anyway, but to younger, stronger men, that may not be an issue. In that case, they have a lot more options available to them, but if they live long enough, their time for a light weight scope is coming if they continue to shoot and hunt.

All the best.

Dverna

Just saw your post as I was posting. Putting a cheap scope on a hunting rifle is something I tried a long time ago and discovered it only works under ideal conditions which I have not experienced in the real outdoors while hunting. For those who watch hunting videos and look at their rifle/scope across their laps in their dens, that may work just fine. But the mother nature I know is an itch and she can do some really strange things to your equipment. I don't want to get 20 miles back in the bush and have my scope go out because I got it cheaply. That is false economy in my book. The same can be said for gun cases. I buy the best quality I can find because I don't want to get 20 miles back in the bush, open the case, and discover my rifle is damaged. But those are just observations from an old fart who has been hunting since I was 10 and that was 68 years ago. The Boy Scout motto of "Be prepared" is always in my mind and I go prepared with equipment that will withstand the worst conditions mother nature can throw at me and she often does. HA!! I just zip up my old military water proof parka, and keep on trucking.

Now for those people who just go hunting on a Saturday and never get more than a mile away from the truck, they can take a chance with cheap gear. If it fails, they don't have far to go to get it repaired or replaced. It'sa completely different set of circumstances when you are 20 miles back in the bush. Back there in the real world with mother nature, you had better be perpared or she is going to make you wish to hell that you were.

I don't know about you boys, but when I see a hunter with new boots, a big magnum rifle with either a cheap or a huge over powered scope on it that has a reticule that looks like a Chrstmas Tree, and a big bowie knife on his hip, I wish him luck, then watch to see which way he goes in the morning, and I go 180 degrees in the other direction.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 12-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.

I have Weaver K series scopes on several rifles and a shotgun. Most have been on rifles since 60s. They ain't Leupolds but in 60 they were popular scopes. They were built well and in K series they were trouble free. After they sold out they were second rate. Now if I'm buying a new scope its Leupold. I do have a couple 6x McNickle
    with sniper reticle on a couple 22s. They seem to be ok but squirrel hunting around here is fairly warm weather.
    Cheap scopes tend to leak and fog in cold weather. Once scope leaks it's never as clear even if the fog condenses out. My serious hunting 22 is a Ruger 77/22. I bought it when first out along with a Burris 6x compac. Very nice scope but I didn't like field of view. Put a Redfield 4x on and made nice rig going on 35+years. I have a 16x Redfield on target 22. The 4x is good squirrel scope but 6x is my favorite on bolt action hunting rifles.

After a six year enlistment, I got out of the Navy in June of 1967 and bought a second hand or maybe even a third hand model 70 Winchester with a Weaver K-6 mounted on it. That rig was also a "veteran" and had seen some service and done some shooting. I had not been able to hunt for the time I was in the service, so I was ready when fall came. It was 21 degrees the first morning I went hunting. I got out of the truck, walked to the area where I was going to hunt, and sat down next to a big tree and waited for daylight as it started sleeting with flurries very lightly off and on. At daylight, I got up and eased along the wood line and spoted some deer in an oak grove. I brought my scope up with a tight sling and looked at the only buck and noticed something across the vision field. I made the shot, killed the buck graveyeard dead, and went home to process him. Only the next day did I get my gear out to do maintenance and remembered the thing in my scope. It was still there, but I couldn't figure out what it was, so I removed it and sent it back to Weaver. It came back in about three weeks like it was new and it also came with a hand written note that I still have in a scrap book of hunting photo's somewhere around here.

The note said something like this scope was subjected to extreme temperature differences that caused the lens, which are glued together, to separate. We use a synthetic glue on our scopes to keep the cost down. If you are going to subject your scope to extreme temperature differences, we suggest that you try Leupold scopes because they use an expensive, naturally derived optically correct glue on their lens and they will stand such exposures without damage.

I was flabbergasted that Weaver would do that, but they did, or somebody at Weaver did anyway. And you are correct, used within their design parameters, those El Paso made Weaver K series scopes are great. But back then, I couldn't hunt when the weather was good. I was working at a local service staion changing tires, going to college on the GI Bill which paid the princely sum of $106 dollars a month back then, had just got married the year before and all of that kind of thing. I could only hunt when I had time and I didn't have much of that. But back then, I also could not afford a Leupold scope or much of anything else, so I continued to use that Weaver on the model 70 for another 20 years, but I was careful about keeping it at a constant temperature. I'd leave it over night in the rifle case out in the truck instead of bringing it inside in the heat. I didn't turn on the heater in the truck on the way to my hunting place. That worked and I never had any more problems.

As soon as I could, I bought a Leupold and then five more over the years and have never been unhappy with any of them and I have NEVER had a lens separate even though I did have the heater on in the truck on the way to my hunting spot. Some scopes just work better than others when mother nature is having a bad day and decides to share it with you.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 12-05-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    People think I am nuts putting $300+ scopes on hunting rifles........
    Those people would hate to see what's on my hunting/killing rifles than hahaha

I have a couple SWFA straight 10x mil/mil scopes and really like them.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 12-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at the video and the website. It seems like a very good scope. I take my 22's seriously and like to have quality scopes on them. My son has a Leupold 3X9X33 EFR on his CZ 452. I checked about one for my custom BRNO #5 but it would not clear the rear sight. I did not want to take the sight off so I have a 2X7 Leupold compact on it. I recently bought a new Leupold 2X7 Freedom rimfire scope and was not impressed with it. It seemed too large and clunky for my tastes. I've been a Leupold man for over 40 years and I own plenty of them. I'm picking up a new to me Winchester 75 sporter today. It was made in 1940 and has been drilled and tapped for a side mount. I'll be needing a quality scope for it. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    I recently bought a new Leupold 2X7 Freedom rimfire scope and was not impressed with it. It seemed too large and clunky for my tastes. I've been a Leupold man for over 40 years and I own plenty of them.
    Well Deadeye, funny you should say that because I also bought a Leupold 2 X 7 rimfire scope and it was the only Leupold I have ever seen that I did not like and that was when my brother said " just get one of the SWFA ultra light rimfire scopes and quit messing around with big, heavy, clunky scopes designed for centerfire rifles mounted on your small 22 squirrel rifle." I did not know about SWFA because for the last 50 or so years, I just bought Leupolds because they are bullet proof, or have been for me anyway. I don't know about the term "Game Changer," but this SWFA Ultra Light scope sure has been that for me, at least for use on 22 rifles designed for plinking and small game hunting is concerned. But I would not use one on a .338 Win. Mag that's for sure.

I was a little surprised when it came in a plain white box with only a small pack of desicant stuff in it that said DO NOT EAT. I was thinking, man, this looks a little cheap to me. Since I had a satisfaction or refund your money guarentee, I figured I was on solid ground. But when I picked it up and looked through it, all those little doubts went away!!! When I took it to the range and shot with it, I was smiling all day long and I'm still smiling.

I am still grinning every time I pick up my 22 with that little SWFA scope on it. It does not handle like it has no scope, but it sure does balance and handle a LOT BETTER with the SWFA than it did with the 2 x 7 Leupold rimfire I had on it, or the 1 x 4 Leupold I had on it that's for sure. Anyway guys, this has been an education for me because like I say, I have just ALWAYS used Leupolds as soon as I got to where I could afford one and never even looked at anything else. But this little scope sure has caused me to begin to look at other things out there. If this thing holds up and doesn't cause any problems, I predict that other scope makers are going to have to do something like this with a dedicated rimfire line of light weight scopes or SWFA is going to eat their lunch in that market segment.

Boolit Master

Almost same story here BP!!

Only i stead of SWFA I TRIED HAWK.

WOW!! GREAT SCOPE FOR A RF. The offer multiple
    Models caliber and velocity specific!!

It will
    NOT BE my last HAWK, But I any leavin Leupold!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I also use Hawke scopes, but mine are on two different crossbows. They are clear, bright, and worth every dime I paid for them, but they are almost twice as heavy as that SWFA Ultra Light scope and the weight makes a big difference in how the rifle balances and handles. At least, it does for me. Younger and stronger guys probably don't even notice things like that, but I'm an old fart and it makes a big difference to me. My Hawke scopes weigh 15.3 ounces each. The SWFA weighs 9.5 ounces, or almost half as much. And yeah, it also cost a hundred bucks more than the Hawke, but money is only good if you spend it and at my age, I may not be here tomorrow to worry about not having any money. The SWFA gets twice the bang for the bucks because it is not only lighter in weight, but it also lightens my wallet as well.

Now I gotta go see the quack . . . uhhhhh, doctor, so you boys play nice while I'm gone.

Boolit Master
    It really needs an adjustable parallax. I have one swfa, they are hard to beat for the money and features.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't SWFA typically run sales around X Mas?

The priority on this scope was to make it light weight. They started with that singular concept as the primary objective. If scope makers could make small, light weight scopes with all the features found on larger scopes, evey scope maker would have one available for sale. The fact that they do not have one is evidence that accomplishing that goal is difficult, if not impossible, given the present state of construction technology and materials.

There are compromises made in the SWFA Ultra Light to achieve the light weight, but they are compromises I and many others can live with. It has everything I do need and nothing that I don't need. This certainly is not a scope for everyone and I am not suggesting that is is. This is a scope made for 22 LR chambered rifles and it is not suitable, in my opinion, for applications for which it was never intended. And it will not satisfy everyone in any case because we all have our own needs from a scope that varies with each of us.

I'm going to be in the hospital for a few days now, so if I can, I'll catch up with you boys on down the road. Until then, all the best to all of you.

Boolit Master
    Is it the same as this SWFA but with a different parallax setting. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x....html?___SID=U is about 100 dollars cheaper and it is tempting for a small centerfire like the CZ 527. Wishing you the best for the few days in the hospital.

Have to say this https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x....html?___SID=U is really tempting.

Boolit Master
    Really wish they would build that scope as a fixed 4 and fixed 6. They would be really light, and all I need in a hunting scope. I would be in for several of those, just not interested in $, complexity,weight for variable function I don’t use. Looks to be a well thought out product.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Holy moly their proud that scope! I want to get a Nikon EFR I can’t justify 190 bucks for a 22lr! I did take one of my Nikon pro staff fives in a 3.5 x 14 off of one of my RUMs and put it on my Ruger American 22 WMR. That little rimfire shoots lights out! I should just pick up another one of those scopes they’re on sale for 199 right now at mid south.

I’d give my life to you know white for the first generation Nikon rimfire 3 x 9 scope‘s that have an adjustable objective on the front. They got cheap and removed it from their line. You can adjust that baby Crystal clear Atlanta very close distances. The new style it’s not happening it’s like a Leupold do you get what you get I have to deal with fuzzy sight pictures at close range. Not good when you’re trying to shoot targets under 10 yards.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-08-2019 at 12:27 PM.