Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's going on with my 44/40 brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    44-40 brass can't be too long for a sizer, it will just move back the shoulder. If your sized brass has a bulge then maybe your sizer is not lowered enough and it isn't really sizing the whole case. OR, maybe the bulge has noting to do with it, the CBC brass is just too thick for that bullet diameter and the case is just too large. I throw out all CBC brass for just this reason. 44-40 chambers are much less forgiving than others , like 45 Colt, and they take a little more care to get to work properly. I have 15 different 44-40 rifles and pistols, so it can be a chore to get ammo to work in all of them.
    15 44-40s. I'd listen to this guy^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just as an experiment, load some of the CBC cases but back the crimp out by 1/2 turn. This will not be as strong a crimp. This will prove if the bulge is from the crimp.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    It’s not the crimp! A sized case with nothing else done to it doesn’t chamber, according to the OP. That only leaves the case not being sized enough to chamber as the problem. Screw the die down farther until the problem goes away. If the die bottoms out on the shell holder, you need th shorten the die until the case will size.

Once the sized cases do chamber, the crimp may present a NEW problem.

If you want a cheap trimmer, get the Lee setup. You will need all of these:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012823285?pid=136199
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012838679?pid=107333
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835597?pid=476992
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012810383?pid=789334

I have several different trimmers and the Lee works very well for cases that I don’t do a bunch of.
    i did not say it was his crimp i said this is what the crimp should look like. pay attention....
    Rick

stopsign32v
    get your calipers out and your reloading manual go to the 44/40 schematics and take measurements the entire length of the cbc loaded round. compare measurements on the cbc round to the schematics. that will tell you where the problem is.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Take a black magic marker and color the case than insert into the chamber and rotate the case. You will be able to see were the contact is. Once you do that you can figure out why.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick459 View Post
    i did not say it was his crimp i said this is what the crimp should look like. pay attention....
    Rick
    I wasn’t commenting on your post and am not sure why you would think I was. There have been 6 posts in the thread that said the crimp was the problem after the OP said that a resized only case won’t chamber, in post 10.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 12-06-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am still stuck on the fact that if a resized case with no bullet will not chamber there is no point in seating a bullet or checking crimp adjustment .
    It would seem to me that his case is not resized correctly or it is to long for the way the chamber is cut . When an empty case WILL chamber move on to expanding , bullet seating and crimp. Make sure each step in the process is correct before going to the next.
    This is probably a simple problem if we could see his process.
    I have had my share of wrestling with my own like this .

That bulge just above the cannelure line on the case is the culprit
    I tried some that were just sized and primed with no bullet and they will only drop in the chambers the same amount of length.
    ... and if that bulge doesn't get fully ironed out upon resizing (and the die is bottomed out), then the sizing die/shell holder is the culprit. By any chance are you using a standard #14 shellholder,and not a #14B ?

...and/or anyone else around w/ another make die set ?
    Last edited by mehavey; 12-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123