Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder tosser for small calibers

Boolit Bub

Powder tosser for small calibers

Going one by one, I think I’ve had enough of it. I’m probably going to get an extra small bar for my 550, but I’m just wondering what powder tosser you’d recommend for the money to throw for small calibers (25 auto, 32 auto,etc)? I’m thinking like for a single stage, not my Dillon.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The RCBS Little Dandy Measure is perfect for loading the small .32 pistol and revolver cases.

Use the Rotor # 00 to load 1.7 grains of Bullseye in the .32 ACP with 80-90 grain cast bullets in the .32 ACP.

Use the Rotor #0 to measure 2.2 grains of Bullseye to approximate US factory 71-grain FMJs.

I use the Rotor #1 to assemble "full-charge" Euro-CIP equivalent loads with 2.5 grains of Bullseye with 71-grain FMJs at 0.98” cartridge in the .32 ACP case for 905 fps from a 3.4 inch barrel, which must not be exceeded.

For .25 ACP you would need to have a custom rotor made which meters 1 grain of Bullseye or 1.2 grains of TiteGroup.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Powder choice can make a big difference on tiny charges , some will fill that little cavity better than others ..
    I believe there are some threads about a vibrator attached to the powder measure to help settle the powder also.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah the powder was another concern because I’m seeing that w231 doesn’t fill the case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LWSTARKS View Post
    Yeah the powder was another concern because I’m seeing that w231 doesn’t fill the case.
    actually I meant to consistently fill the cavity in the powder measure sorry I wasn't clear.
    Some powders like red dot and other flake powders do not flow as consistently as finer powders in a measure. WW231 flows pretty good.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Auto Disk and Lee Auto Rotor from charges as small as 2.3 in .380 ACP. Works very well for me and all are pretty consistent within .1g

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Titan has this and it works well with the pro auto disk.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...n-micro-charge

I like the Lyman 55. so much I have three.
    It uses three slides. The large one you loosen the lock screw and just slide in/out for coarse adjustment.
    The middle size is for large adjustments, the smallest fpr fine adjustments. The two smaller slides are screw adjustable. Not a micrometer but very close.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    I use the extra small powder bar for the 550 dillon, works just fine for the 32acp but haven't tried it on the 25.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I like the Lyman 55. so much I have three.
    It uses three slides. The large one you loosen the lock screw and just slide in/out for coarse adjustment.
    The middle size is for large adjustments, the smallest fpr fine adjustments. The two smaller slides are screw adjustable. Not a micrometer but very close.
    Leo
    I like the 55 to the knocker seems to help it be more consistent .

Boolit Master

Lyman #55, no knocker though. I prefer to tap the handle on the up & down. And you can adjust it to throw 1.0grs of Bullseye for .32Short&Wimpy.

And the Hornady L-N-L with the Micro Stem for the small Pistol Rotor.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I use a Redding Powder measure.

It throws 1.2 grs Titegroup for 25 ACP very well.

I check the powder throw every 50 rounds, always right on.

Throws 2.3 grs Red Dot for 32 Auto just as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I would look at the RCBS little dandy or one of the similar ones by other makers. Ideal would be a lil dandy with the adjustable rotor. The Lee auto disks would be good and work well in a die and press. A smaller cavity or insert for the bigger drum would be a good way also.
    A RCBS measure with the drum sleeved down to 1/4" hole and a thread insert and plunger made would make small charges easier. With the least used drum, A spare or extra fir this would be better. Make a sleeve to fit the hole cavity in it. glue or solder in and clean up face to match the drums radius. with a bolt to fit the thread insert fit it to the thread, drill and tap a 10-32 hole thru it on center. A bolt Here an allen head cap screw can be used to make the ne plunger, turn head to .245-.248 dia and face flat. run threads up to head if needed. If you desire a cup can be cut in the face with a small ball nosed end mill. This mod will make the small charges and small adjustments required mush easier.

Boolit Master
    I am using a Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure for the very small charges, using HP38 get much less variance than other measures on powder charges under 3 grains and over. I have an old Bonanza much like the RCBS Lil Dandy, but the Lee Deluxe is more consistent. I have the RCBS Uni-Flow, an older Lee Perfect Powder Measure, a couple Lee Auto-Discs, an old Herters. The new Lee Deluxe Perfect does give more consistent charges than the others, it has adjustable rotors that are sized for small charges and other that handles larger rifles loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I am using a Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure for the very small charges, using HP38 get much less variance than other measures on powder charges under 3 grains and over. I have an old Bonanza much like the RCBS Lil Dandy, but the Lee Deluxe is more consistent. I have the RCBS Uni-Flow, an older Lee Perfect Powder Measure, a couple Lee Auto-Discs, an old Herters. The new Lee Deluxe Perfect does give more consistent charges than the others, it has adjustable rotors that are sized for small charges and other that handles larger rifles loading.
    I have the press mounted version the auto drum and it does do well with small charges .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would look at the RCBS little dandy or one of the similar ones by other makers. Ideal would be a lil dandy with the adjustable rotor. The Lee auto disks would be good and work well in a die and press. A smaller cavity or insert for the bigger drum would be a good way also.
    A RCBS measure with the drum sleeved down to 1/4" hole and a thread insert and plunger made would make small charges easier. With the least used drum, A spare or extra fir this would be better. Make a sleeve to fit the hole cavity in it. glue or solder in and clean up face to match the drums radius. with a bolt to fit the thread insert fit it to the thread, drill and tap a 10-32 hole thru it on center. A bolt Here an allen head cap screw can be used to make the ne plunger, turn head to .245-.248 dia and face flat. run threads up to head if needed. If you desire a cup can be cut in the face with a small ball nosed end mill. This mod will make the small charges and small adjustments required mush easier.
    A member here named Bailey Boat was making an adjustable rotor (from scratch, not reworked) and selling them here a while back, but I haven't seen mention of them, or had contact with him for a while... you might want to drop him a PM.

I've got a couple of the Lyman Accu-Measure powder measures that use similar rotors (of brass) as well as the long discontinued Pacific and Bair Pistol Measures that also use rotors. I have long planned to make (a) rotor(s) for one or both of them to be adjustable, I just never got a round tuit.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"