Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxADvertise hereTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    OK, is there a hack for this measure where you can use it by hand, with out using a press?

ACC
    Why yes there is, for me anyways.
    I use the lever arm meant for the chain, and a extension spring hooked on the adjoining die on my progressives.
    I hate the stock/wrap around spring or chain return, this spring is easily unhooked to push the lever up/down to charge manually.
    It's practical to use this way on a turret too, as it hooks to the adjoining die NOT the press
    Of course you'll need to follow the expander up/down with the case when throwing a charge by hand.
    Pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpringS.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	252424
    The risers are to clear the index linkage.
    I actually throw 10 charges to average/verify the charge weight and have hacked some long cases to fit in the press opening and hold 10 throws.
    9mm front, 45ACP inside tape
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BigCase.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	252425

Edit: just re-read your question, wanting to use this measure off the press ...
    I think you could use a press as a measure stand and hand cycle the (chain) lever as described above.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-05-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I won't use mine with the smallest cavity disc (3-4.3) with flake type powders (unique, the dots, W231 ect) because of powder bridging which results in inaccurate powder drops.

If yours has the pullchain linkage, get the case activated spring linkage and chuck the pullchain linkage in the garbage. .
    Measure works fabulously with the powders I listed in my post even down to the smallest .30 cavity to fill small light charges of AA#2 in the 380. As for the chain pull it just does not work with a rotating turret.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    tazman after checking my log I have 3 powders that I have run thru the Disk; AA#5, Silhouette and HP-38. The only one that was right on was the Silhouette in the #.34 cavity The worst was the AA#5 in the #.34 which was off by .4gr., light..

With the 3 powders listed above plus AA#2 I have been able to find a mid range load for the 115gr, 124gr, 9mm and the 185gr and 200gr 45acp.. For the 380 I was able to find one light load and one heavy load using Silhouette and AA#2 and the one load that measured for the 380 with the HP-38 didn't shoot worth a dang using a 100gr bullet. Though that powder did much better with a cast lead bullet.

The Micro Adjustable disk works fine as long as you are not trying to drop the smallest of charges. I cannot get it to drop anywhere near consistent with HP-38 when closed all the way down to it's smallest adjustment.

After using these measures and disks with all 4 of these powders when I make a label for a box of loads I will list the bullet weight and manufacture, Primer and powder. If I use the Auto Disk to measure the powder I just list the cavity used, such as AA#2. #.34 or HP-38 #.40 so when I use that up I know what I need to load again.
    Excellent ideas.
    Record data
    and using cc. Info on auto disk hole along with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have 3 of these measures and can say with complete honesty that the data sheets do not match the actual weights dropped. Best thing to do is to set it up with the powder you want to use and just start dropping charges. I recorded more than 50 drops with each cavity that I thought I would use, which was 2 of the smallest disks.
    So many times
    I have found the lesser amount
    the disk actually throws to be the most accurate as well as the best for that bullet and powder match.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    For me the pro auto disk was a big improvement over the standard and I did the upgrade kit on my standard soon after I got my first pro.
    My standard came with the Lee 1000 I bought when the 1000 first came out it has been used a lot.
    I have the adjustable charge bar but don't use it preferring the fixed cavities that are quick to set up and can't change adjustment for the loads these measures are used on .
    I would not want this to be my only measure but it is my favorite measure for most of what I load these days.
    I love your thinking and I wholeheartedly Agree!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12