Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scoping a Savage Sporter 25-20

Boolit Master

Im pleasantly amazed at the accuracy on tap with a 80 year old rifle thats seen alot of use!!

My 32/20 LOVES a splash of PB and a 115 SWC! Its quieter then a LR and really thwacks when it hits!! Love shootin cotton tails in the head. 98% of the time they show ya one last time how high they can jump!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

here is a picture of the weaver side mount
    Attachment 253207

As I recall the mount comes in two part. The base which attaches to the receiver and then the top rings.
    hope this helps.
    and yes my eyes are not what they used to be either so a low power scope (3X) really helps
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    My 25/20 bullet is 85gr Hp from old Ideal mold. Loaded at 8.0gr 2400/ 1500fps. This one is fine in Marlin levers for AOL.

I picked up a nice 219 Savage in Hornet this past summer. Stole it at yard sale because it don't work. Haven't had time to get into it yet and looking for a parts action. Never been into one before but many 220 shotguns. Have no idea what ails it. If I get it running and it shoots well will probably keep it.
    I love my 219 in Hornet for shooting small game using cast. Just about the perfect platform for it. I'm also about to embark on fixing a .30-30 219 I have, recently got a book that tells how to disassemble and a couple of new firing pins, probably change out the main spring as well. The rifle was very accurate when I could get it to shoot.

I'm not up on Weaver stuff anymore. The mount you have pictured came in long and short version. The upper part with rings came separate and you bought the base to fit your rifle. They also had models for lavers and rifles with flat sides. I have one of these on a Rem 870. I didn't think there was enough meat dead center to hold base screws. ( there ain't ) So I found Weaver base that matched the radius on top edge of action. Metal was thick enough to get enough threads to hold bases against recoil. Been on there since 66 with a K3 and still taking a licking and still ticking. Weaver has dropped a lot of bases for obsolete guns but their is still a good many floating around.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a .25-20 (thought it was 23B) that I had D&T'd for scope bases. My long-time best friend now has it. My current 23 is an A (.22LR) to which someone long ago added a scope base with the rimfire dovetail.
    While it is true the 23 series rifles have no great collector value they re infinitely worth owning. That they are not more valuable is due more to ignorance than to experience.
    A guy I know bought a high dollar Kimber .22 LR bolt action of which he was very proud. My 23A with the ammo it likes best shot smaller groups than his Kimber.

I have often said collectors would fawn over a dog there if it had a red W on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    I have often said collectors would fawn over a dog there if it had a red W on it.
    Man, isn't that the truth!
    I am really amazed at the trigger in this gun. Bone stock from the factory in 1924 when it was built it is clean let off and very light and smooth.
    Really looking towards working up a load for it.
    Thanks to all for all the suggestions!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I certainly agree with DonH....
    I find that the rifle is simple, mechanically sound and accurate.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I certainly agree with DonH....
    I find that the rifle is simple, mechanically sound and accurate.
    Something i discovered....what's old is new....
    The Savage Sporter receiver and barrel is made from one piece. The barrel is NOT screwed or pinned in....it is one part from the back of the receiver to the end of the barrel.
    Some European rifles are beginning to tout that build as "new".....
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I have owned a Sporter over 40 years and tested various 25-20 loads in it from time to time. Now it has rotated back into my attention span. Years ago I worked quite a bit with the Hornady 60 grain jacketed bullet and found this rifle's best groups came from a load of 10.5 grains of IMR4227. Either more or less of this same powder opened up the groups. Can't answer why, but that is what I found. Now that I have added on a few good molds I will be working with a Lyman 257420 (70 grain GC +/-) and a group buy 80 grain flat point GC. I have a Lyman 257463 RN-GC of an in-between weight of 75 grains that may see some activity here just from curiosity. Lots of variables to consider but that is the fun of all this. My goal is to find the tightest groups the rifle will deliver in the 1300-1400 fps range for casual woods loafing. Let the fun begin!

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I found a 23 in 25/20 and decided It needed a scope. Not wanting to drill any new holes I got a universal 22lr scope base and just used the one large rear sight screw hole with some epoxy under the mount and it's been working fine since.

Boolit Master

This .22 Savage Sporter has been in my family for at least 70 years. It has a Weaver G6 that works very well.

I know very little about this rifle, it is a bit modern compared to most of my guns. I don't see a model number on it. Can anyone identify the specific model and age? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200215_064741_50.jpg  

Banned
    ndnchf, do a search for Savage Model 19. They are nice rifles and have some value today.

Boolit Master

Thanks - will do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12