RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoping a Savage Sporter 25-20

Scoping a Savage Sporter 25-20

My eyes are not what they used to be.
    Has anyone scoped a Savage Sporter? I was gifted a pristine 23C in 25-20 and would like to continue to use this as my go to chuck gun....but my eyes are not good on those 100 yard iron sight shots!
    It needs to be drilled and tapped but I have no idea what base and rings to use.
    I won't be doing the work but the gunsmith will.
    Any thoughts are welcomed.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Numrich has original Savage rings and bases for that rifle and the 340.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I also like these 23’s. And need scopes to shoot them well. I hemmed and hawed for some time. One day someone asked who was I saving them for? I mean they are nice but far from un replaceable. Frankly not much useable as is. SELL IT or Modify it so you can enjoy it!

So I had my smith drill& tap and mounted a 2x7 Leupold.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Numrich has original Savage rings and bases for that rifle and the 340.
    I looked and could not find it. Do you have a link?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I also like these 23’s. And need scopes to shoot them well. I hemmed and hawed for some time. One day someone asked who was I saving them for? I mean they are nice but far from un replaceable. Frankly not much useable as is. SELL IT or Modify it so you can enjoy it!
    So I had my smith drill& tap and mounted a 2x7 Leupold.
    CW
    Agreed. They are nothing spectacular.....but this one is virtually new.
    It was made in 1924. I actually got a factory letter on it from Savage dating it to 1924.
    Certainly will scope it and use it. I am the neighborhood woodchuck assassin for the organic farmer and hay fields around here.
    I have a Nikon 2x7 that will be used. I bought moulds, brass, bullets, dies, etc. Gonna use it!
    Maybe I should let my gunsmith worry about finding what is right for the gun.....that's why he gets the big bucks!

Boolit Buddy
    You might wish to consider Weaver side base & rings for your Savage. Someone always lists them on Ebay. I have a set on my 340/22 Hornet......much better setup.

Boolit Grand Master

My 23 (22 hornet) had a rear aperture sight mounted on it with 2 8 x 48 screws and between them was a 10 screw, not sure what the #qo was for. I picked up a piece of brownels rail blank and drilled the hole pattern in it using the 3 holes. On the hornet its held zero great and been solid. I don't see your 25-20 being much different as to recoil and strain.
    These are nice little rifles and while not fancy they are accurate and handy. A very nice size and weight.

Boolit Master
    I have a 23C in .32-20 that I didn’t want to drill and tap extra holes in. As gunsmith John Bivins used to say, “Original fabric is precious.”

I made an adapter base with two holes that fit the plugged military-style iron sight holes on top of the receiver, and cut grooves along the sides to fit one of those light 3/4” Weaver .22 scopes, with the wrap-around sheet metal mount that fits on grooved .22 receivers.

I made the holding screws out of drill rod, since they supply only half the holding power of a normal mounting job, and I figured they’d be under some stress.

Took some doing, but after fiddling and shimming, the scope got on point-of-aim with the crosshairs in the center. I’ve shot the gun a lot, and it hasn’t sheared off, or even come loose.

Probably would be an expensive proposition to hire out, but if you can do it yourself, it’s pretty cheap. If you can find a one-piece Weaver base, for the normal 1” Weaver rings, and locate the two holes in that, it ought to save some machining time as well, although the overhang on the receiver might look odd. The skinny little Weaver looks a lot more “period.”

option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-20Savage.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	252930

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-20Savage.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	252930
    That looks like the one I just got off gunbroker. The scope has external adjustments and a very narrow field of view, but otherwise is workable. Gonna try to work some squirrel hunting it with it this Winter.

If I can find one of the side mounts they made for these using 3/4" scopes, I have one of these great Gru Bee Wolf Pup scopes here to put on it. I think I'm gonna like this rifle.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I looked and could not find it. Do you have a link?
    Same mount as 325 and 340

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/540380A
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    When I bought my Savage Sporter in 25 20 it came with an ancient Weaver 3/4” tube 2.75X scope attached via what looks like a redfield mount.

The rings drop in from the top and are of the “turn and lock” variety.

The mount allows for rough adjustment for windage via two “jam” screws located at the rear of the mount and fine windage adjustments can be made via windage adjustment on the scope.

This sighting system is quite serviceable and was probably considered top of the line 80 years ago but for someone who is used to 20th/21st century scopes it leaves a great deal to be desired.

It was my intent to swap this sighting system over to a modern weaver type mount and 1” scope but I can’t bring myself to do it.

As it sits it’s very accurate with my handloads albeit the low power scope (marked 2.75X it’s probably closer to 1.75X) does make for challenging shooting beyond 100 yards.

Here’s a 3 shot group at 100 yards, 2 rounds in the neck and quick dope change had me centered up fairly quick.

I have killed many jackrabbits with it out to 150 yards with my handloads using a case full of RL7 and Winchester 86 grain soft points.

IMHO that 86 grain jacketed soft point at near 2000fps appears to hit a whole lot harder than my 22 hornets 40 grain bullet at near 3000fps.

And yes that 86 grain soft point will expand inside a jack rabbit out to 150 yards every time.

That 86 grain bullet is way more destructive than the Speer 75 grain flat point at the same speed (2000 FPS).
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 12-14-2019 at 10:44 AM.

The 86 grain Remingtons?
    Are they still available somewhere?

Boolit Buddy
    The 86 grain Remingtons?
    Are they still available somewhere?
    Yes, these are the Remington 86 grain double cannelure soft points.

From what I understand these haven’t been available in 6 or 8 years.

Looks like Remington released a run earlier this year and they trickled down to local suppliers and some folks on the Gun Show circuit.

I was able to scrounge up a few hundred and if you look hard enough you might be able to find some.

Banned

The 23D I just got will be a strictly cast bullet gun used for squirrels mostly, doubt it'll ever exceed 50 yards use, but it's nice to know the .25-20 is that capable.

With Unique that Remington 86 grain did 3/4" at a hundred from my old girl.
    Plumb blew my mind that she could do that.
    Tried to get 75 grain HP's (like you might use in a 25-06) to print that good but just no way. Thought maybe could use them as non-expanding jacketed. But they hadn't equalled the accuracy of that blunt pill from Remington.
    I'd really like to find a blunt 90 grain plain base to mold very hard and see how it does.

I've had several 23s and one Sporter. They all came to me with the Weaver N mount and pea whistle 22 scopes except one 25/20 that had some mounts at one time and had enough holes for side mounts to use as a flute. I
    put plug screws in those holes they were all 8x32s and drilled top for Weaver bases and put a K4x on it. If I was going to D&T it I wouldn't mess with side mounts. There is a one piece Weaver base that will work, I forget the number but it is same one used for H&R semi 22 rifle. It has same radius base as 23 & Sporter. I would have used it if I knew it at the time. Bases will be no problem for a Smith. I wish more people had smiths D&T their guns. A Bubba with a drill is a dangerous person.

I have a Marlin 1894 rifle original and Win 53 in both in 25/20 and 32/20. I had Sav 23s in both too. One thing all these rifle have in common was they liked cast bullets. The 32/20 would shoot Jackets decent but the 25/20s did lousy and the 53 Win does terrible with jackets. I haven't loaded 32/20 jackets for years but the ones I used were Hornady HPs .312 dia. pistol bullets, 86gr I think. Still have several boxes around and think they still sell it. I did have some Rem that were about same thing from when Rem sold boxes of 100 in the Green plastic boxes.

My bullet for 32/20 is RCBS # 32359 / 6.0 gr Unique. In the Savages OAL is not a problem but in Marlin you have to watch or you will get a jam if it's just a hair to long.
    Last edited by Drm50; 12-17-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Banned

'One thing all these rifle have in common was they liked cast bullets."

This is good to hear. I'll only shoot cast in a rifle like that, jacketed bullets will never touch it. It'll probably be Spring before I really get to this 23, but I got a Rapine two cavity mold and handles a while back that nominally casts a 95 grain plain based bullet with a flat nose, I'm hoping the old slow twist will work for it.

I'm kin of stalled on it again, but eventually will have a Savage 219 barrel re-lined to .25-20 and build my ultimate walk around/squirrel rifle, but this 23 is intriguing to me.

My 25/20 bullet is 85gr Hp from old Ideal mold. Loaded at 8.0gr 2400/ 1500fps. This one is fine in Marlin levers for AOL.

I picked up a nice 219 Savage in Hornet this past summer. Stole it at yard sale because it don't work. Haven't had time to get into it yet and looking for a parts action. Never been into one before but many 220 shotguns. Have no idea what ails it. If I get it running and it shoots well will probably keep it.

Boolit Master

Weaver does make a side mount scope base for your rifle. I will take a look and see if I can find the specific number/callout for this mount.
    Yes the 86 gr J was a good bullet, but i have found that my 70 gr cast is all I need. Very accurate out at 75 to 100 yds.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast