MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medieval pewter score

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’ve managed a few auto shops in the area so my past employees actually save lead for me and I haven’t even picked it up because I have too much. I got a text two weeks ago with a 55 gallon drum full of WWs. I haven’t gone over and picked it up and probably won’t to be honest with you. I spent over a month seven days a week straight the summer before last smelting and I don’t look forward to doing it again. I would think I have a ton or two off ignots in my garage.
    Road trip. Wife and I like to visit Wisconsin in the summer.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again! I envy you guys that can find pewter. What little that I run across is priced at antique prices. Lead, on the other hand is still available. Without even actively looking I get more every year than I use.
    I think i'm at the point I have more pewter in ingots than I have lead.
    Kinda cheating with that statement since I have lead in forms other than nicely stacked ingots, but yeah i've got like 150lbs of pewter.
    Sitting around $7 a lbs for all off it and i've been diligently hunting for like 3 years now but yeah...I have a problem.

I have a huge amount of pieces that are just too nice to melt as well, I definitely wouldn't melt the one in the original post.
    I've found hundreds of modern tankards. Not much value in those when they're engraved with a name and date no one cares about, typically I pay $2-4 for each and they have ~.6lbs of pewter in them.

I need to get more WW for sure. It's still around, and after being lazy all this year and not really looking for any I got 250lbs last week. All good clean lead, virtually no steel, zinc, or trash. It's a start.

Boolit Master
    Supply 'n demand and relative resource value and all the other economics stuff that went in one of my ears and out the other like Tripplebeard's German did for him, makes me wanna say somebody who can get cheap pewter easily but who needs lead ought to be able to make a trade with somebody who can get cheap lead easily but who needs pewter. Or maybe I'm forgetting something, like shipping expenses.

I got a text two weeks ago with a 55 gallon drum full of WWs. I haven’t gone over and picked it up and probably won’t to be honest with you..
    If you are not interested in this please share. Down here in the southern portion of the state it is getting harder to find and depending on where this is located I would be willing to travel for it. If interested in helping out a member drop me a PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Supply 'n demand and relative resource value and all the other economics stuff that went in one of my ears and out the other like Tripplebeard's German did for him, makes me wanna say somebody who can get cheap pewter easily but who needs lead ought to be able to make a trade with somebody who can get cheap lead easily but who needs pewter. Or maybe I'm forgetting something, like shipping expenses.
    Sitting on top of my hoard of shiny gold ingots like some sort of fourth rate dragon is one of the only things that makes me happy.

Boolit Master
    Funny you should say that, Peregrine. I'm rereading The Hobbit right now, and just finished the chapter describing Smaug sleeping on Thror's treasure. Every year or so I reread it, along with LOTR and the Simarillion, around the holidays. First read them in college forty years ago. Haven't got tired of them yet.
    Last edited by kevin c; 12-06-2019 at 02:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Road trip. Wife and I like to visit Wisconsin in the summer.
    ..."55 gallon drum full of WWs"...

Hope you have a REALLY big pick up truck...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Lol that’s why it’s still sitting there.

I remember years ago hauling 6, 55 gallon drums full of Brock’s gummy worms in my f150 for bear hunting. I can’t believe I didn’t blow a tire or brake a coil spring. It look like my tailgate was almost dragging on the ground. I had a now long gone source right from the factory that gave me all the free candy that hit the floor.

Boolit Master

I can pull a trailer.��
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If I decide to pick up that barrel I will let everybody know. I’ve had several inquiries asking me about it.lol.. it’s a very close friend of mine so I would have to go pick it up myself and bring it to my home. Maybe after deer hunting in a few weeks I’ll grab it. If I don’t pick it up there are several people in line that always begs him to grab it up sell it for scrap along with himself.

If . If I don’t pick it up there are several people in line that always begs him to grab it up sell it for scrap along with himself.
    Fair enough and thanks for the heads up. My comment is knowing the state of lead availability here in Wisconsin it would be a shame to sell it to a scrapper/recycler as here in Wisconsin lead is treated as a hazardous material and the commercial recyclers will not sell it to the public. So to find it like this is the only viable option. Any caster would find this a godsend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12