Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medieval pewter score

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Medieval pewter score

Well I guess that’s what I would call it since their lobbing off of cows head. Not the greatest buy for $3.99. It weighs 1 lbs. 3 oz.

I really didn’t expect to melt this one down anyways I figured it’s got to be worth something to somebody and I have to throw it on eBay. It looks just way too cool to melt down. I tried to Google to figure out what the German meaning is on the plate but I can’t figure out the third letter if it’s a “N” , an “R”, a “B” ...or?

I picked it up over Thanksgiving while I was out of town for the holiday at the thrift store. There were zero deals to be had three three thrift stores I stopped at and were basically cleaned out. I couldn’t believe there were hardly any metal items at any of the stores when usually there are shelves piled up you have to go through. I don’t think people donate during the winter months and don’t like to come out of the house. I thought it was a perfect plate for Thanksgiving to pass stuff on.lol anyone have a idea what the German translation says?

I had to look twice but it says ZINN on the back. It must have a silver plating on the front and the back and you can see it there’s a couple of bubbles like it must’ve corroded over the years underneath it. I thought it was a cool piece I had to grab it whether I melted it down or sold it. I googled on an offer a couple of days and I cannot find a picture of this plate or any information on it.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-04-2019 at 01:33 PM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow trip... you sure you wanna melt that one down??? perhaps you should hang it till you can find some info.. I dont recognize that mark at all... and I have looked at a lot of pewter...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Man
    Der Metzger = Butcher

Boolit Master
    "Der Metzger" translates into "The Butcher".

ETA: Ha, Der Jäger is faster on google translate than I am! ;^D
    Last edited by kevin c; 12-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Boolit Man
    Ja, das war ich, aber nur ein bisschen

Boolit Master
    Musta sucked, being a butcher's apprentice back in the day.

"Hold her tight there, my boy. Drat this hangover..."

Boolit Master
    unless you can sell it for a lot id display it in the house that's really cool looking

Boolit Master
    I would put in the the pot.......

I don't need a crazy plate but I don need to sweeten my lead

Boolit Master
    Got two head going to the butcher shop tomorrow, hope he don't expect me to hold them still when he brains them with da axe !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Musta sucked, being a butcher's apprentice back in the day.

"Hold her tight there, my boy. Drat this hangover..."
    I remember seeing that growing up over the fence on the farms where my mom was from but it was a hammer. Crack to the head and calf was down. Pigs were bleed out first and chicken ran with their heads cut off. Normal farm life but I would sure like to see some city kids watch that now. Gives more meaning to "dont waste any food" when you see those things.

Anything in pewter of unknown value should be investigated. Much is nothing special but every so often.... be a shame to melt a $100 plate for $10 worth of pewter.

There have been items with a wholesale value as pewter items greater than their value by weight as tin. Those I will sell to an antique store. Note I said wholesale. The dealer is going to sell retail and my price has to leave them room for profit. If looking on eBay for prices check the "sold" listings, not the offered for sale listings. I find often pewter is offered for way more than it is really worth in the hopes some sucker will meet the price.

Just a SWAG but it would not surprise me if that plate was part of a set. You know butcher, baker, etc. in which case having a piece that completes a set might be a real win on price. Or not having the complete set might depress the value. Takes some work to investigate these pewter items but is an interesting part of the hobby. And sometimes very profitable.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I had three years of German Wayback in the day and I knew “Der” meant the. I just couldn’t tell that was a Z. I think the only other German words I remember are swearwords.lol

Yeah I’ll have to put it up until I figure out the value of it. I still tried to Google the butcher pewter plate and nothing came up. I have a feeling it might be a rare one? I might have to hang it above my deer processing table. I get a kick out of that picture on it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-04-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Banned
    Nice -- my nice pewter either goes on the wall or in my china cabinet. I've accumulated enough that I've lost the search bug.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    ...I've accumulated enough that I've lost the search bug.
    I've still got mine, but it's the same deal: I have more than enough so the search doesn't happen unless the estate sales and the thrifts are convenient for me and sales only happen if the price is right. Gone are the days when I made the rounds religiously and was willing to pay more to build a reserve.

Same here, I just have fun making my rounds when I’m out of town. The three stores are a few minutes from where I stay so to get out of the house I make the run every time I visit. Pewter seems to be pretty common at the places I stop and most items are under a a dollar.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Tripplebeards, that is an interesting plate. My searches lately have turned up nothing, Hit the 3 shops that I usually go to and zip, twice in a row.

I think someone is casting a wide net before I can get there. My last pewter haul was 4 pieces that weighed 1lb 9ozs, and I had to really hunt to scavenge that. Still a bargain at 4 bucks though.

My greatest problem is finding lead. Either the dealers won't sell to individuals, or they are asking way too much money. Being retired now I find that I have plenty of time but not a lot of spare cash, just the opposite of when I was working.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

I’ve managed a few auto shops in the area so my past employees actually save lead for me and I haven’t even picked it up because I have too much. I got a text two weeks ago with a 55 gallon drum full of WWs. I haven’t gone over and picked it up and probably won’t to be honest with you. I spent over a month seven days a week straight the summer before last smelting and I don’t look forward to doing it again. I would think I have a ton or two off ignots in my garage.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-05-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’ve managed a few auto shops in the area so my past employees actually save lead for me and I haven’t even picked it up because I have too much. I got a text two weeks ago with a 55 gallon drum full of WWs. I haven’t gone over and picked it up and probably won’t to be honest with you. I spent over a month seven days a week straight the summer before last smelting and I don’t look forward to doing it again. I would think I have a ton or two off ignots in my garage.
    Hey if you can get it and don't want it sell it in the S&S forum. I'm pretty sure folks would snatch up raw WW's for a good price. Sorting for lead is a sit in a chair and listen to radio or watch a movie activity. Just keep a drawer or other tray like container with sides in your lap and nip with dikes. Nips then toss good bucket, no nip then toss bad bucket.

Lot of folks really struggle to find pewter or good casting lead. Funneling the excess into the swapping and selling forum so members can buy it is a good thing.

I spent a lot of time collecting and being primarily focused on "premium" alloys. I can and do pass on a poor or a marginal deal. Don't make the rounds as regular as I did in the past. On the other hand I may have more type and lino than I do soft lead or COWW's and more solder/tin alloy than I do plain soft lead. Going to work on getting a better balance to the inventory and frankly would love to find a good deal on 55 gallon drum of WW's so hate to see one going to waste.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I am soon meeting friends at a good German restaurant called "Metzger's"..........now I know!

Boolit Grand Master

I've said it before and I'll say it again! I envy you guys that can find pewter. What little that I run across is priced at antique prices. Lead, on the other hand is still available. Without even actively looking I get more every year than I use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast