WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Your experience with Lyman 4-Cavity molds

Your experience with Lyman 4-Cavity molds

My first Lyman 4-banger is on its way. I've cast in numerous single and double-cavity Lymans, but never a four.

Any suggestions, tips, do's or don'ts?

Are the four-bangers generally more likely to be cut accurately than the two-holers?

I read they are too heavy and that the nut-cracker handles are difficult If the latter proves to be a problem, I will modify the Lee 6-cavity handles to fit.

Looking forward to your input.

Boolit Master
    The newer handles are just modified large block handles. It takes more time to heat the blocks. Other than that they cast as well as 2 cavity.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I had one for 9mm.
    It did a great job for me. It took a extra couple of minutes to get hot, but then you can rock-n-roll.

It might be my imagination, but I think its actually more than twice as fast a double cavity.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

My 4 cavity Lyman molds are from the 60's or early 70's and they cast great. But Lyman has had a few problems. Sometime during the 80's or early 90's they had a problem with the top of the mold blocks galling. Recently there have been post about them dropping undersize bullets. I don't know about the undersize bullets but I have personally seen the galling problem.

My last 4 banger came with an unusual sprue taper in the holes...it left the bottom 3/32's" aprox. straight going to the top of the cast.
    It had to be whacked pretty hard to 'shear' the sprues, it wasn't cutting, it was actually shearing.
    I fixed that with a dremel, extended the top taper down to where the bottom of the hole was a sharp edge and it then would 'cut' the sprues.

The Lyman 4 cavity is one of my favorite moulds to run, something about that steel that works like a champ.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

If you use the Lyman 4 cavity often enough you can drop you gym membership. They make nice boolits too.

As cast diameter may be undersize as bullets drop from the mould. Bullet molds are regulated using different alloys.

Antimony makes diameters larger.

I have 5 Lyman 4 cavity molds bought in late '76. They all produce excellent Boolits. I'm 80 & do not have the hand strength that I once had & don't use them as often as I did in the past. After they get up to heat, they hold the heat well: allowing me to use 2 @ a time. The clam shell handles are OK for me.

Boolit Buddy
    At last count I have about 48 of Ideal and Lyman 4 cavity moulds and yet another one in route to me.

Once the newer plier type handles came out I started using the 4 cavity moulds more. I simply had a hard time with the nut cracker type handles

The older moulds, you will see only the mould numbers, with no letter afterward tend to cast very well
    Just last week I cast with an Ideal 452488, and a Lyman 452423, both would drop bullets about 80 % of the time, when I opened the mould once I had the temp and candance down.
    Both of those older moulds cast with wheel weights .453"

Some of my other 4 cavity handgun calibers that cast very well and the diameters are on are.
    356632, and 356634, 356242, 90 gr these three drop at .357"
    I also have 429348 that drops nicely at .430"

I have two Lyman later moulds from the 90's that I need to lap a bit, a 358477, and 358429, both cast at .357, I would love to have them throw a couple of thou larger.
    I purchased a new 429421 mould in the mid 90's when they brought out the square lube groove again, but it casts at .429. I need to lap it a bit as I normally size at .430

I have found some of the 4 cavity rifle mould as cast diameter can be all over the place.
    A 311440 is dead on for the bore ride and drive bands and gas check base.
    I have a 311467 that everything is perfect other than the gas check section is .007" to small
    I have a 311332 that the bore ride section is .004" too small
    Also a 462560 that the bore ride section is also .004" too small.

Yes the mould weight can be a issue, I tend to cast one sitting a day ( up to 1 hr ) with the 4 cavity moulds because twice a day and my hand is getting sore.
    So then the double cavity moulds get the next sitting to reduce the strain on my hand

I would not hesitate to by a Lyman 4 cavity and get to understand it, most time depending on alloy they cast the correct diameter, if not then play with it some

JW
    Last edited by James Wisner; 12-05-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Dang chrome book double posted

Boolit Master

Mine are all Pre-1990 except the #429667, had a heck of a time getting Lyman to fix it. But they finally did, drops .431 with 50/50 COWW/#2.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I started casting in 1968 with Lyman 4 cavity for 45 Colt and 45/70. My most used molds are H&G 10, 8 or 6 cavity with a close second to my brass 4 cavity. The older Lyman's that I own cast on size or larger. The newer ones are on size or under. Due to this any new purchases are MiHec, Accurate or NOE.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Longone View Post
    If you use the Lyman 4 cavity often enough you can drop you gym membership. They make nice boolits too.
    That's good news. My gym membership is too expensive anyhow. Serious.

Boolit Master
    Only experience with Lyman 4 cavity was a gifted 38 WC mold, don't recall the number. Mold had been used and abused and was filthy, didn't cast too well. Basic cleaning did help but in desperation chucked a 38 cal wool mop in my electric drill and using JB Bore paste ran it for several seconds in each cavity. Took a second cleaning that way but it really started dropping good bullets after that. Sold it when I no longer had a need for 38 WC bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

I have several Lyman and Ideal 4-cavity moulds. I did/do not like the nutcracker handles and replaced all with replacements. I so strongly agree with the weight issue, and came up with a "solution" to more than double my casting time with these before my 71 year old wrists tell me, "enough". By happerstance, my wife wanted laminate flooring for what was our younger son's bedroom, and we brought home four of the *FREE* sample pieces from a not too distant Home Depot. After the floor install, I said, "hmmmmm", and found they are ideal spacers to put underneath the mould. Sooo much easier for me to set the mould on laminate flooring sample pieces, stacked to just the right height, under Pro-melt spout; slide mould out; let little fan blow on it for a few seconds; cut sprue, dump, and repeat.
    Just a thought... works for me. (As a btw, at a trip to Lowe's, they have same samples but CHARGE for them... a few more, though, are on my "list" for next Home Depot visit.)
    geo

Boolit Master
    Got my only two Lyman 4 cav's this year a 452460 off ebay and a 401637 from a member here, both because I wanted the mold and the deals were too good to pass up. They both cast perfect boolits and I agree you get a good workout using one.

Vendor Sponsor

rifle 4-cavity molds

They are heaver.
    I have not had trouble to this point in my life handling the heft. I completely understand that that could change! I am no spring chicken anymore either.

A four cavity rifle mold is hard to pass up if it is something I cast and shoot a lot. Big heavy bullets four at a time drain a pot in a hurry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedDSCN0933.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	252429

I enjoy making a large pile of rifle bullets in a hurry. 30 cal, 44-40 and 45-70 molds pictured.

I agree, the older handles are a little awkward. I adapt.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I have a number of the older 4 cavity Lymans.
    They are very good molds.

Boolit Master
    I have one i got about 2 years ago.the sprue plate hole were very rough so the sprues would not drop out with out a beating.then all 4 cavitys were a different size and under sized took weeks and weeks to get someone on the phone or get an email back.Finaly got it sent back.about 5 months it came back.they recut the mold it it works great.the bullets drop at about .453 with my alloy.it is one of my best casting molds.it is a 453630.likley will be my last new lyman mold if any at all.good luck