RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accurate 4064, 2495, 4350 recall (Nov 2019, powders made before 10/01/2016)

Boolit Master

Got a check yesterday for $245.

Legit.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Thank you for posting this. I have an 8lb jug of 2495, just went to check it. It was puffed up like a balloon, and hissed when I opened it. There was no brown gas or dust, but it smells a bit like a swimming pool. The lot number is older than the examples they list, so I'll have to call them tomorrow and see.

Thanks for sharing this info, I use some Accurate Powders but none that are subject to this recall.

Jay

Boolit Master

As I just posted in another thread, if you ever burn any bad powder, be careful and don't burn too much at a time. Here's a couple pounds going up this morning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8497[1].jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	252797

I called and confirmed that mine was subject to recall. I sent them photos of the jug and lot number, and they say they're sending a check. I hope so, because I just burnt it all up!

Boolit Master

And we have liftoff.

My 2495 jug is actually XMR 2495 and does not have a serial or lot number that is arranged like the ones shown further up. It smells just like IMR 4895 so I think it is okay.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 12-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I have an 8lb jug of 2495, just went to check it. It was puffed up like a balloon, and hissed when I opened it. There was no brown gas or dust, but it smells a bit like a swimming pool. The lot number is older than the examples they list, so I'll have to call them tomorrow and see.
    Yes sir that be it, like stick your head in a bottle of Clorox!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Yes sir that be it, like stick your head in a bottle of Clorox!!
    I didn't think it was all that bad when I first sniffed at the lid, until I compared it to other good jugs. I didn't want it to be bad, because I hated to waste it. Logically I knew it had to be disposed of, but I hated to do it. When I actually poured a couple pounds out to light it off, I caught a huge whiff of the pungent, chlorine smell. It was pretty bad. I'm sure glad that they did a recall, and you all posted about it here, because I had no idea I had something like that going on in my powder storage box!

Boolit Grand Master

Got the check yesterday for the AA4350...….woulda rather kept the powder. Hopefully they'll get more from the maker in Canada.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Just get you some RL19 larry, better stuff anyway.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Just get you some RL19 larry, better stuff anyway.
    I have tested RL19 thoroughly along with several other similar burning powders for HV cast bullet shooting in the 2600 to 3000 fps range. None, including RL19, performs as well as AA4350.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

In Argentina a few years ago the same thing happened to me with a pound of 4064. They imported from GD 4350 and 4064 and had to return the money.
    In my case I went to open the container and a red smoke came out with a smell of ammonia

Boolit Master
    I have several 1lb bottles of AA 4350, it has a 5 digit number but all end with a 2. Not sure what to think as the ones shown are 6 & 7 digits.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have several 1lb bottles of AA 4350, it has a 5 digit number but all end with a 2. Not sure what to think as the ones shown are 6 & 7 digits.
    Jot down the lot numbers on the bottom of the cans and call Western Powder. They will tell you very quickly if the powder you have is in the recall. Two of my lot numbers were not. I'm quite pleased with the service I got on this issue.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I have 3 cans of 4064 and two are definitely bad! The good one has a different lot number and it's just fine, it's the only one I had opened and used about half. When I read this I got the three cans off the shelf and looked at the numbers, none are even close to what's listed here but when I opened these until now unopened cans the seals under the lids had deteriorated badly and taking a sniff from one of them just about took my breath away!!!

The lot numbers on my cans are (the two bad ones) 05151512, same number both cans, and the good one is 0411094. I will call them tomorrow and see what's going on with these lot numbers.

Man that stuff was RAW! If anyone uses the smell test take a very light sniff!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

oldred: looks like all 3 bottles fall in the bad years and lots, better make the call!

your lots are made in 2015 lot 12 and 2009 lot 4, lot numbers 2 thru 16 recalled if made prior Oct 1 2016. THAT BE YOU BUDDY
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    oldred: looks like all 3 bottles fall in the bad years and lots, better make the call!

your lots are made in 2015 lot 12 and 2009 lot 4, lot numbers 2 thru 16 recalled if made prior Oct 1 2016. THAT BE YOU BUDDY
    I just spoke with Rob at Accurate and he took down my info then gave me an Email address to send the picture of the lot numbers and ID number, he told me they would get a check out to me soon after the picture arrives, it was as simple as that!

Thanks guys, I hadn't heard about the recall and didn't yet know I had such bad powder sitting on my shelf. I really like the 4064 but likely would not have opened these cans until summer and as bad as they are now they probably would have been REALLY rank by then! The bigger problem is that I have over fifty rounds of 45-90 already loaded with the can I had opened, although it didn't smell bad it is indeed listed in the recall so I WON'T be shooting those rounds. I assume if the powder is breaking down in a sealed can it would also break down in a loaded round just the same, the difference is there would be a warning (that gawd awful smell!) not to use the powder when the can is opened but those loaded rounds wouldn't give any warning at all until,,,,well best not even think about it! I shot 20 rounds of that batch about three weeks ago and all seemed well, these were loaded using the powder that lacked (so far anyway) the signs of breaking down but shooting the rest of them just seems to be,,, let's just say it would be less than a real smart thing to do so I will pull them all and feed that powder to the grass with the rest of it still in the cans.

Boolit Master
    I have 5 lbs in 1 lb containers, four have a 5 digit number and one with a date and a 2 digit code. As soon as I said they had 5 digit number he said they were Czech made didn't even need the number. I described the other, also Czech made, all by Explosia. He said my powder was not on the recall. That suits me fine as it works great in my Swede. I hadn't even opened four of the containers but did before I called, looks and smells fine.

Dave

Boolit Master

I just got my check; that was fast!

I'm sure glad they did the recall, and it was posted about here. I really had no idea, and the jug I had was BAD.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I just got my check; that was fast!

I'm sure glad they did the recall, and it was posted about here. I really had no idea, and the jug I had was BAD.

You sure got that fast part right, I Emailed the pictures Friday and got my check today! I will replace this powder with a fresh version of the same and will do so with all confidence in the products from these guys, can't go wrong with a company that will stand behind what they sell and offer the kind of support we got here. I really hope this incident doesn't cause folks to lose confidence in the brand, as the old saying goes "Stuff happens" and it can to the best of them but it's how it's handled after the fact that counts and in this case these guys came through with flying colors, we just can't ask for better than that!

Can’t believe I didn’t see this one earlier. Get to call them today about my 2# of AA4350. The sad part was dismantling my 25/06 hunting loads. 150 rounds were pulled yesterday. Oh well, I’ll start from scratch now that season is over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast